Kings Island to Get $10 Million Capital Addition, Major Thrill Ride

The Interpreter

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10million :\ that number keeps ringing in my ear. I dont think its takes 10million dollars to tear down X-flight and re-build it here, and it didn't cost anything to buy the coaster since it was an "inside" trade.

I think Kings Island is geting 2 attractions , X-flight and a mystorus thrill ride =O (im voting for a jump2 :))

KI is going to be looking sharp come opening day.

Without those darn metal detectors mind you!

http://www3.paramountparks.com/KingsIsland/jobs/jobs.cfm

Be careful the next time you try to waltz right into the park... they are hiring "Metal Detection Associates" for 2007...

Nah, that page hasn't been updated since Spring.

10million :\ that number keeps ringing in my ear. I dont think its takes 10million dollars to tear down X-flight and re-build it here, and it didn't cost anything to buy the coaster since it was an "inside" trade.

I think Kings Island is geting 2 attractions , X-flight and a mystorus thrill ride =O (im voting for a jump2 :))

I'm betting on a spinning coaster.

I'm betting some people here don't understand that $10 million doesn't go very far in amusement park terms. As several others have said the relocation of X-flight, SOB repairs, and general repairs/upkeep will easily cost $10 million, although I would like to see a nice new place to eat.

I'm betting some people here don't understand that $10 million doesn't go very far in amusement park terms. As several others have said the relocation of X-flight, SOB repairs, and general repairs/upkeep will easily cost $10 million, although I would like to see a nice new place to eat.

I believe Son of Beast isn't in the 2007 Capital Addition... and like i said in my last post, we didn't buy X-flight it was a "inside" trade. So therefor I believe that there are two new attractions. Also im betting that Thejoker8388 couldnt tell how far 10million USD goes in the amusement parks... I want a fine example from you Thejoker8388 , I would like to add some Major thrill rides Kings Island added that are 10million usd or under

~~~~~~~

~thrill rides~

-Delirium

-Drop Zone

!rollercoasters!

-Vortex

-The Beast

-The Racers

LOL and you tell me 10 million doesnt go far in amusement parks terms

Hi guys. I joined a few months ago, but this is the first time I've gotten up the courage to actually post a reply.

I have a few thoughts on this subject. Please keep in mind that I honestly don't intend to offend anyone, so please don't flame me if you don't like my views.

If Maverick cost $21 million, then how much of a thrill ride could you possibly get for $10 million?

Now here's where I may offend some of you... I've been reading the posts from everyone excited about X-Flight allegedly being moved to Kings Island and, quite frankly, the thought of it gives me a pit in the bottom of my stomach. It scares the heck out of me. Why? Because never in its history has KI taken in a second hand ride from another park. I'm sure X-Flight is a great ride, but once KI starts down the road of taking had-me-downs instead of inovating new rides then... I don't even want to think about the consequences to the future of the park.

You see, the thing that's got me scared is that I'm still skeptical about CFE ownership really being a good thing for Kings Island. The reason is KI's proximity to Cedar Point. CP is, after all, the jewel in the CFE crown. The other four Paramont parks CFE bought are far enough away that they don't directly compete with CP. But KI is close enough that they have always been in competition for attendance and those coveted Golden Ticket awards. From a marketing standpoint, I really don't believe CFE will ever put anything in at KI that could draw attention away from CP. I'm sure they will keep KI clean and well maintained. They will periodically put in new flat rides and even minor thrill rides on the scale of IJST. They may even revamp sections of the park like Paramont did with Nick Universe. But I don't believe you'll ever see another mega-coaster, (on the scale of Beast, SoB or Vortex), as long as CFE owns the park. I'm already wondering if cancelling Winterfest and the removal of the loop on SoB is just the beginning...

-Vortex

-The Beast

-The Racers

So are you saying that Vortex, The Beast, and The Racers would cost $10 million each in today's world with today's money?

It also could cost a good chunk of change to take X-Flight down, transport the pieces to KI, and re-assemble it. And then add all the leg work of clearing of land, electrical hook-ups, new cement etc. $5- $7 million for all that- it really would not surprise me. Transportation for this type of project is a large expense.

Heck for ten bucks I can get you a decent spell checker, or for $40 a Leap Frog.

This just brings excitement, because Cedar Fair is showing that they are obviously committed to improving the former Paramount Parks. Kings Dominion is getting a huge investment almost on par with Cedar Point and Kings Island is also up there. 2 Paramount parks in the top 3 of parks receiving money from Cedar Fair. I think this is a great sign of things to come for all parks within Cedar Fair.

I would look for the $10 million to go towards relocation of X-Flight, painting and theming of X-Flight. Paint, landscaping, and general maintence throughout the park and also atleast 1 new resturant addition in the park.

I think 2007 is going to be one of the best years KI has had in a long time and I think the park will look better than it has in a long time.

Also Glenpc dont be affraid to post around here, we are all pretty nice. If you keep making posts like your previous other PKIC members will respect you because atleast you can support your opinion. Just one thing though, dont be skeptical of Cedar Fair, they are a tremendous company and they will be comitted to Kings Island and making it one of the best parks in their chain.

No it doesn't take 10 million to tear down X-Flight and ship it down here but fixing SOB isn't free. Seriously, you have no idea what your talking about and your passing it off as if you do. It's probably best you just stop talking.

I admit I don't like the idea of getting "hand-me-downs" from other parks either. BUT- under Paramount's ownership I think our days with Flight of Fear would have been numbered. And I think the ride rotation with the other five parks would have eventually yielded a hand-down from one of th others... possibly in a worse form. Look at what Carowinds got from us......... the Flyers.... I know it's a favorite of many on this board- but what a crappy hand down to pass off as "new." It was over 30 years old.... a classic by all means that should have remained in Coney Mall. But that's beside the point.

CF will keep the crowds coming to KI. They won't want a 360 acre park to use as a huge tax write-off. But I wonder how many more record breakers we may get. But then again in 14 years under Paramount we had only one genuinely unique coaster, that in and of itself was a let down. Some may say "FOF"- well PKD got one as well. (Which, by the way- did it get moved, re-opened, or still SBNO?)- I'm not sure about Face-Off.... is there another one like that? I think that CF may use KI to get creative (and that may be the parks trump card). KI has acreage upon acreage to expand on. CP is severely landlocked.

Because never in its history has KI taken in a second hand ride from another park. I'm sure X-Flight is a great ride, but once KI starts down the road of taking had-me-downs instead of inovating new rides then... I don't even want to think about the consequences to the future of the park.

Coney ring a bell? Hand-me-downs from another park were what started Kings Island. ;)

edit:

I also just read RailRider's post and would also like to let you know, while I was pointing out a couple things to you...I still value your opinions on the matter. Don't let me scare you off. I'm actually a nice guy. :D

Also im betting that Thejoker8388 couldnt tell how far 10million USD goes in the amusement parks... I want a fine example from you Thejoker8388 , I would like to add some Major thrill rides Kings Island added that are 10million usd or under

~~~~~~~

!rollercoasters!

-Vortex

-The Beast

-The Racers

All three of those coasters would cost well over 10 million these days...

Because never in its history has KI taken in a second hand ride from another park. I'm sure X-Flight is a great ride, but once KI starts down the road of taking had-me-downs instead of inovating new rides then... I don't even want to think about the consequences to the future of the park.

You see, the thing that's got me scared is that I'm still skeptical about CFE ownership really being a good thing for Kings Island. The reason is KI's proximity to Cedar Point. CP is, after all, the jewel in the CFE crown. The other four Paramont parks CFE bought are far enough away that they don't directly compete with CP. But KI is close enough that they have always been in competition for attendance and those coveted Golden Ticket awards. From a marketing standpoint, I really don't believe CFE will ever put anything in at KI that could draw attention away from CP. I'm sure they will keep KI clean and well maintained. They will periodically put in new flat rides and even minor thrill rides on the scale of IJST. They may even revamp sections of the park like Paramont did with Nick Universe. But I don't believe you'll ever see another mega-coaster, (on the scale of Beast, SoB or Vortex), as long as CFE owns the park. I'm already wondering if cancelling Winterfest and the removal of the loop on SoB is just the beginning...

I think that when CF decided that X-Flight was no longer a fit for GL, they looked at which parks could support such a ride (and those that were at least somewhere nearby-I'm still hard for transportation costs being a major factor in the total cost), and KI seemed like a logical choice. Sure, it's a used ride, and sure, it fulfills the need to add a major ride to a large park, but I don't see this as the beginning of a trend during which KI will receive second-hand rides on a regular basis. I don't see CF going down the SF road of regular ride circulation.

I would agree with you about KI installing much anymore that would compete with CP. KI and CP are two different parks-KI has won the Golden Ticket for Best Kids Area for several years now, and I hope that CF doesn't let some other park take that away from them. Best Kids Area isn't exactly Best Amusement Park, but it's still a major award, and parents are happy to throw money at a quality park that is family-friendly. CP is definitely a coaster park and KI has a knack for flats and children's rides. Hopefully CF will keep the parks separate, but not let KI fall behind in importance. CP and KI have had extremely similar attendance for a while now, and if CF keeps KI the park it is and CP the park it is, there's no reason you should ever have any more 'cross contamination' than there was and is.

I believe Son of Beast isn't in the 2007 Capital Addition... and like i said in my last post, we didn't buy X-flight it was a "inside" trade. So therefor I believe that there are two new attractions. Also im betting that Thejoker8388 couldnt tell how far 10million USD goes in the amusement parks... I want a fine example from you Thejoker8388 , I would like to add some Major thrill rides Kings Island added that are 10million usd or under

~~~~~~~

~thrill rides~

-Delirium

-Drop Zone

!rollercoasters!

-Vortex

-The Beast

-The Racers

Hey the full sized Eiffel Tower only cost $250,000 dollars to build, maybe we'll get that in place of our minature one next year. I mean it's only 1/40 of what they have to spend! Oh wait a second, the price to build something decades ago isn't the same price today? Darn that little thing called inflation.

As others mentioned, all three roller coasters would be more than $10 million today and then drop zone cost $10 million exactly 7 years ago, so from your entire example that leaves Delirium as legitimate by today's standards. Read what it said the $10 million would go towards again, it says additions and IMPORVEMENTS. I have a feeling that KI will recieve a lot of improvements next year seeing as Paramount neglected some upkeep.

I know your name is Rumor Smasher and I don't expect you to live up to the name because you've already proven you can't, but please don't do the exact opposite of what your name states and start a rumor. I'm going to go ahead and say YOUR RUMOR IS SMASHED.

6pm tonight as well, cant wait to fight the trafic. 4 days off!!!

I wouldnt look for anymore record breakers to built anywhere in the country. The era of building the biggest, newest, most records broken is gone. At least for now.

I see no reasson Cedar Point and Kings Island cant coexist within the same company because like mentioned earlier they are different parks.

Also Cedar Fair will not let any part of the former Paramount Parks deminish. That doesnt make buisness sense, especially as seeing they are starting a family focus at CP. So King Island fits that family market gameplan. Cedar Fair will do a great job with their collection of parks, especially with Kinzel on board for a few more years.

in an imperfeect world, we could get KI with the:

- innovation of old

- the manicure of a Busch Gardens

- the Technology of Universal Studios

- the checkbook of Cedar Fair

- a follow-thru of Paramount's "action of Hollywood now playing"- or whatever it was.

I agree though the records frenzy of the past few years can't go too much anymore. How tall and how fast can you go and still be safe. I'd hate to be in the path of a stationary insect when one of those 120mph trains comes barreling through- or a bird for that matter (anyone recall seeing a bloodied Fabio getting off a coaster after waxing a bird with his face?). I love the tech in the Spiderman at Universal Studios. a ton of action and thrills without leaving ground level.

I agree Mr. Fudd

Nothing funnier than Fabio taking out that poor bird and breaking his nose. The pictures were great and he looked so thrilled. I love the tech that Universal uses especially on Spiderman, but still for my money The Mummey is absolutely amazing. That coaster is just insane, and the giant animatronics, the fire, the scarabs! That is in a league of its own. Also I have been on Dragster when the Canadian Soldiers invade Cedar Point. Now for those who dont know what the Canadian Soldiers are, they are also known as Glaynippers or Mayflies, basically they look like giant mosquitos and Millions of them hatch out of Lake Erie, breed for 48 or 72 hours and then die. Cedar Point is a magnenet for them because of all the lights and its location on the lake. Once they all die there are mounds of these things throughout the park that stand 2 feet tall. Anyways ridding Dragster with hundreds of these things smacking your face and body is not that fun. I recomend eye protection and not opening your mouth, unless you dont plan on eating dinner. When we got off of Dragster we had bugs splattered all over us along with little blood spots. Not a pretty site.

^^ Yeah, I'd agree too, but as long as we're dreaming, I'd swap out CF's check book for Disney's. CF has a market cap of $1.5B but has debt of $1.75B (meaning, they owe more than the company is actually worth on the open market). Disney, by comparison, has a market cap of $70+B, so that's the financial backing to have :D

I'm not sure if the changes to SOB would be considered capital or not...on one hand it's maintenance on an existing structure (which is typically not a capital expense...it's part of O&M spending). But, on the other hand, it involves significant redesign and construction, and in some ways will essentially be a "new" ride. So, I'm not sure if it would be considered Cap Ex or not...

RailRider--I'm so with you on the Mummy! That's my favorite coaster (and my second fav "ride"--Spiderman is #1)

There is a very good chance that SoB could be modified with insurance money, if KI has that type of policy. Most of the expensive equipment at the facility where I work has insurance for such things as: fire damage, severe equipment damage that causes extended downtime, and safety modifications which would also create extended downtime.

~~~~~~~

~thrill rides~

-Delirium

-Drop Zone

!rollercoasters!

-Vortex

-The Beast

-The Racers

Hey the full sized Eiffel Tower only cost $250,000 dollars to build, maybe we'll get that in place of our minature one next year. I mean it's only 1/40 of what they have to spend! Oh wait a second, the price to build something decades ago isn't the same price today? Darn that little thing called inflation.

As others mentioned, all three roller coasters would be more than $10 million today and then drop zone cost $10 million exactly 7 years ago, so from your entire example that leaves Delirium as legitimate by today's standards. Read what it said the $10 million would go towards again, it says additions and IMPORVEMENTS. I have a feeling that KI will recieve a lot of improvements next year seeing as Paramount neglected some upkeep.

I know your name is Rumor Smasher and I don't expect you to live up to the name because you've already proven you can't, but please don't do the exact opposite of what your name states and start a rumor. I'm going to go ahead and say YOUR RUMOR IS SMASHED.

there was no rumor to smash, and I dont care what anyone eles says, im beting on two attractions. :P

just to let you know... Cedar Fair does its park's accounts diffrent. They are more complex than paramounts. Instead of having a pool of money shared by all parks, each park supports itself. What the park earns, what is what it gets. So they would have to pay for x-flight, there in no intercompany "trades".

Interesting idea, so does that mean that Kings Island asked Geuaga Lake if they could buy X-Flight and that Cedar Fair had no input on that decision? Because some parks during hard times would find it dificult to add or improve anything if this truly was the case. While I do believe that parks receive funds based on their various numbers I do doubt that is completely what everything is based on. After all the press release discussed how funds were alocated by Cedar Fair to their individual parks, not the other way around.

just to let you know... Cedar Fair does its park's accounts diffrent. They are more complex than paramounts. Instead of having a pool of money shared by all parks, each park supports itself. What the park earns, what is what it gets. So they would have to pay for x-flight, there in no intercompany "trades".

So if the park keeps what it earns, how is CF a publicly traded company?

Not to mention, if what you are saying were to be correct, how in the world is GL even still around? They would have zero capital to work with. We all know that GL is struggling, and they need the help of CF to try and become profitable again.