History Forum?

I wanted to post my idea for a "history" forum. I hope this has not been brought up before. If so, I apologize.

I have posted several, and have more historical photos to post. We have the new guy (Mike?) that worked at KI years ago, and he has been sharing old stories, along with lots of other members that have as well.

Instead of the stories and photos getting in the middle of all the other threads, I was wondering if there would be a possibility of a "Kings Island History" forum. I know a lot of people enjoy the sharing/remembering. Even the kids, I think, like seeing the old stuff. Maybe down the road it could even be divided into decades or eras (KECO, Paramount, CF, etc, etc.).

Happy Holidays and thanks for all the work that makes this site possible!

I wanted to post my idea for a "history" forum. I hope this has not been brought up before. If so, I apologize.

I have posted several, and have more historical photos to post. We have the new guy (Mike?) that worked at KI years ago, and he has been sharing old stories, along with lots of other members that have as well.

Instead of the stories and photos getting in the middle of all the other threads, I was wondering if there would be a possibility of a "Kings Island History" forum. I know a lot of people enjoy the sharing/remembering. Even the kids, I think, like seeing the old stuff. Maybe down the road it could even be divided into decades or eras (KECO, Paramount, CF, etc, etc.).

Happy Holidays and thanks for all the work that makes this site possible!

Yes, I have lots of stories that I can share of my time at Kings Island. I grew up in Kings Mills, Ohio and use to hike through out the area. I have worked at Kings Island for 11 seasons: 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2005, 2006, and this year 2007. I remember sitting in lunch room at Kings High School watching the Eifle Tower being built. It took them no time to erect the tower, just like an erector set that I used to have. I have been a litter gitter at Kings Island for all but two seasons and I remember that we used to wear all white uniformes. White pants, white shirt, white golf hat and black hush puppies.

I do have lots of pictures and stories to share. A few of the stories of when I was hired by Charlie Dinn in 1974 and helped to construct the old Lion Country. I was the person that was caught in quick sand in the front entrance of the Lion Country. I was grouting the bolts on the monarail and needed some water. I took my bucket to the creek at the front and wearing knee high boots, had no problem in getting in the water to collect it. But underneath the surface was nothing but mud and I got stuck in it. The was nothing to grab onto that would support me while I tried to extract myself from the mud. As I got one foot out, the other foot went deeper and vice versus. I ended up being stuck up to my chest in the stuff and I was in there for 30 minutes before the forman had the front end loader lower his bucket down for me to grab on to. The suckion almost pulled my shoulder out and you could hear the sucking noise as I was pulled out of the muck. I was covered in mud and was the butt of all jokes and had a hard time living it down. Charlie Dinn (designer of The Beast) never laughed so hard.

I grouted all the bolts in the monarail and I knew every inch of it. Do you remember the gorge the track went over before going back to the station? I walked across the rails with no safety lines and had no fear of the height. But today, you are required to wear the safety line and for good reason. You had to make sure your shoes were clear of mud but once I did slip and fall on my bottom. Just good thing I was on the ground and not high up. :o

Speaking of having no fear of heights, the first year in 1972 a group litter gitters decided to go sky diving up in Waynesville. Nothing like the thrill of jumping out of the air plane and seeing the ground rush up at you. I wish KI would sponsor something like that.

Do you all remember Darrel Pace? He was an Olympic archery gold medalist and I worked with him in 1972 when we were both litter gitters. I even worked with a movie and tv actor but I forget his name. He was featured on an episode of MASH as the diabetic helicopter pilot that was trying to break the record of missions ferrying soldiers wounded in combat. But Hawkeye and Col. Potter grounded him when they found out he was diabetic.

Well am in the process of gathering up my pictures and will post them very soon. More stories to come also. If you have any questions about the history of Kings Island, I can help.

Mike Perin