International Restuarant

KI-ORIG-EMP

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they were to add a Montgomery Inn (and not some 'famous' place), perhaps it would actually serve Montgomery Inn ribs (as Cedar Point once did) and Kings Island never has. Oh, I know they have served something with the Montgomery Inn sauce on it at Wings and called them Montgomery Inn ribs, but they were as much like Montgomery Inn ribs as a microwave cheeseburger at a ballpark is like fine gourmet cuisine.

100% incorrectly interpreted! Not only has Wings Diner served Montgomery Inn ribs up until the transformation into a buffet, IR also featured Montgomery Inn catering during last year's Winterfest. You might want to find something new to interpret!

He was saying that the "Montgomery Inn ribs" served at Wings were just branded that way featuring the montgomery inn sauce. The quality of food at the actual Mongtomery inn boat house compared to wings diner was quite a strong contrast. While the sauce was the same, the meat was not. You didn't get the same food you could get at The Boathouse or the REAL montgomery inn. Interpreter didnt say that montgomery inn ribs were never suerved there, they were montgomery inn, just not the same as the real ones. Maybe you should find a different bible to write.

The IR had a very limited menu but very elegant and tasty. They did not serve Montgomery Inn Ribs but were able to serve them in the Taft Suite and in the Picnic Grove for Catered Events.

I tell ya one thing, KI used to have the absolute hands down best fried chicken that I'd ever had.

Ohhhh how the times have changed!

^

^

Yes times have changed, because you were lucky to get real Chicken under CBS ownership. I think Cedar Fair will turn food services around at the park, atleast I hope they do, because that is one thing that Cedar Fair does very well.

Speaking of ribs, I do believe the Bulwinkles in Miamisburg has the best ribs around. Montgomery Inn is fabulous, but there is just something special about Bulwinkles.

Once again, why go to a Larosas inside the park where you will pay inflated prices when you can visit Larosas right down the road outside the park? I know its a local favorite and all, but I want something different at theme parks. Thats why a place like Bubba Gumps does well, because the closest one is in Chicago. So I would rather see something unique inside the park rather than just another chain.

gosh this guy comes from no where and starts interpriting everything! Interpriter you've been replaced by some guy who has come from nowhere! j/k LOL

No, this guy came from no where and does not know the great wealth of knowledge that our Interpreter has. I suspect he is going to become a troll.

Here's a personal idea for KI... what if the park put a full service LaRosa's in IR... the park already serves the pizza, why not the salads, hoagies, spaghetti, lasagna, etc? It's a local favorite that is loved by kids and adults. It would be kind of like macaronies at CP but better.

I vote for this idea!

Woofer is right, as usual...once upon a time Montgomery Inn ribs were served in the Columbia Palace...but back then my budget was more along the lines of Humble Pie (which served McDonald's style cheeseburgers for, oh, something not too far off from $1.89....at the time McDonald's sold them for 23 cents!).

And if I am an expert on ANYTHING, it's barbecue. The BEST I have ever had anywhere is at the Moonlite in Owensboro, Kentucky. Once upon a time...not all that long ago, Holiday World allegedly had Moonlite barbecue at its park. Two problems with that....(a) the place was like never ever open ..... well perhaps on the busiest day of the month, maybe...and ( B) , when it was, the pork barbecue sandwiches they sold bore as little resemblance to Moonlite Barbecue as what CBS/Paramount sold as Montgomery Inn ribs did to Montgomery Inn. Which is to say, little to none...and the sauce at Holiday World came in plastic portion pacs! :)

In any event, the REAL Moonlite is about 45 minutes from Holiday World. I almost always organize an expedition to there...and take as many peeps as I can with me...as Marty Moltz can testify to!

But there is a TGIFriday's right outside Cedar Point...owned by Cedar Fair...

CF owns at least three Fridays franchises that I'm aware of...at the Breakers, Castaway Bay, and at KBF. That was my point in the other post...they have a track record with the brand.

I agree with Woofer's point about the fried chicken KI used to have being so good...they must have done the batter and frying in the park. KI also used to do the hand dipped corn dogs as well. Those were fantastic! Now, they have the pre-made frozen kind like what you'd get at the grocery store. Cedar Point still does the "home made" corn dogs at a few stands on the midway.

In my opinion, the best in park food overall is at the Busch parks...they do a great job. (The lunch menu at Discovery Cove was amazing, and included in the cost of the park...granted the cost of the park was $300 <g>). The worst "in-park" food? The Columbus Zoo! I love the zoo and think they do a top notch job on pretty much everything, but food service isn't one of them...

Yup, we used to make everything in the park. It does not seem that this is the case any longer.

The chicken used to be battered and then pressure fried at the park. There were pressure fryers in Columbia Palace and in Picnic Grove.

I was supervisor of WAH Carts one year, so I know well about the Corn Dogs and Fried Cheese. <G>

How times and food have changed.

Best fries around are from the Cedar Point Midway

Best upscale sit down meal is Mythos at IOA, kinda pricey and upscale though

Best funnel cakes goes to DollyWood with Fresh Strawberry topping

Best sitdown is Crown Colony Reserve at BGT

Just to name a few of my favorite places for park food.

I'd agree with almost all that, except for fries ( I remember when I used to eat fries...), I'd vote for the Potato Patch at Kennywood.

It's pretty sad when Camden Park in Huntington, West Virginia still makes their Pronto Pups from scratch, and Paramount's Kings Island prepares their corn dogs from frozen...

I'd agree with almost all that, except for fries ( I remember when I used to eat fries...), I'd vote for the Potato Patch at Kennywood.

It's pretty sad when Camden Park in Huntington, West Virginia still makes their Pronto Pups from scratch, and Paramount's Kings Island prepares their corn dogs from frozen...

And having supervised WAH Carts, the fact that corn dogs are not from scratch is just an abomination.

It really was not difficult to make them from scratch.

Okay...I know someone is going to ask. What's a Pronto Pup? Isn't it just a corn dog with another name?

Nope!

http://www.answers.com/topic/pronto-pup

and

http://www.prontopup.net/

Note that the company site says Pronto Pups are served at Cedar Point!

And they are.

Perhaps the frozen thingies at Kings Island may finally be going to a deserved bye-bye.

I'm going to dump what I know about the IR on your laps right now:

First of all, after talking to a very credible friend of mine about the IR a few months ago, he told me basically what you guys have been saying, that it's not going to be a TGIF's and that they've been, "trying to get that darn place to reopen for years now." This doesn't show much hope, HOWEVER a birdie came down and told me that they've been working on the IR for a month or so now... what does this mean? Who knows... but I do challenge any of you to try to book an event there for this summer and hear the baffled response.... almost as if someone's hiding something.

Oh, and the view of the fireworks from the roof of the IR is simply amazing. I remember taking photos of the crowd with my flash and hearing someone yell, "Oh my God! Is that guy going to jump?!?"

I like the ideal of having a LaRosa's in IR but only the powers that be know the answer. If they do, I would like to see that Buddy (LaRosa's owner) control the quality of the food and service. Don't just put the sauce on the food and call it LaRosa's Pizza or pasta. When I ate in Wings in the mid 90's, the ribs were MI ribs and not just meat covered in MI bbq sauce. I know when they had a bbq rib sandwich in Oscar's, it was not MI but just some frozen pork rib wantabe sandwich with MI sauce on it.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I have put some more thought to what would be another good choice for the old International Street Restaurant. Unless they are willing to do some major overhauling to that space including expansion to be able to offer a full service style of dinning. I do believe that Starbucks Coffee would be a great place for guest to be able to sit down and relax in a quite place with a wonderful view. Plus guest would be able to gain access their before the park opens.

I think the current space at the old International Street restaurant is way to small for a new table service restaurant. I mean back in the 70’s when the restaurant was built it was designed to serve a certain amount of guest on any given day. I do believe that with a larger park and attendance numbers that the old space would be to small to accommodate adequately for the guest who would like to dine there.

maybe, but people will be dispersed all over the place, you will only see a marginal increase.

I for one do not like the starbucks idea one bit! I hate Coffee, I just want to see a nice sit down restaurant that serves anything but friggin hotdogs and hamburgers! I could go for like a TGIF, or Applebees, where I could get maybe some chicken Parmigian that would be amazing!