International Restuarant

KI-ORIG-EMP

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only two buildings on International street have attic space. (The Old Deli and Old Bakery Buildings.) At one time the Deli Building was used for storage of what was considered "Important" park documents.

Of course, after Paramount showed up, the important documents were moved to Charlotte (and have presumably since been moved to Sandusky and/or to hard drives....)

Only two buildings on International street have attic space. (The Old Deli and Old Bakery Buildings.) At one time the Deli Building was used for storage of what was considered "Important" park documents.

Of course, after Paramount showed up, the important documents were moved to Charlotte (and have presumably since been moved to Sandusky and/or to hard drives....)

I really wonder if they did.

I'm certain that what KECO considered important and historic were different than what the Paramount folk did. Some of the docs and photos were actually from Coney.

• 1 year later...

IR is no longer know by us (The food workers) as IR, it has a new fun name. That new fun name is called the Commissary. (Don't know if it's spelled right) but anyways that is were we make the rice cripes treats and the big fresh baked cookies and brownies, all the fresh bake goods, come from.

IR is no longer know by us (The food workers) as IR, it has a new fun name. That new fun name is called the Commissary. (Don't know if it's spelled right) but anyways that is were we make the rice cripes treats and the big fresh baked cookies and brownies, all the fresh bake goods, come from.

We used to have a place called Bakery that made all the fresh baked items. They also made carmel apples. Antique Treats would make the carmel corn.

Commissary used to be located in Picnic Grove. The would slice all the fresh vegetables and fruits throughout the park.

so Will IR ever be a new restraunt or will they knock down the whole entrance to get a nice restraunt in there???

and revitalize the whole entrance.

Yeah, the entrance building does seem a little old, but it is completely fine with me if they spent money on new rides before they dealt with that.

wow... How could I not have known...I wonder what a hamburger would taste like form 1978.

No Burgers sold at International Restaurant. They did have some wonderful Prime Rib, though.

They also had a very grand ruben and beef stroganoff.

Ohhh!

The stroganoff was awesome!

I loved the New York Cheese Cake, as well. One slice was just soooooooo decadent!

And the Montgomery Inn ribs served up there actually tasted like...Montgomery Inn ribs...they were not just cheap meat slathered in a bit of Montgomery Inn sauce (the latter being exactly what was served at Wings).

Imagine! :) The blue cheese dressing was also quite superb. A little known secret was that it cost very little more to eat there than to partake of the even then over-priced fast food down on the midways. A lot more comfortable, dignified, quiet and formal...and wonderful food with grand service. All at the about the same price as a couple of cheese coneys and a slice of yucky local pizza (sorry, I don't care for that stuff, never have, and probably never will...pizza sauce is not supposed to be sweet, nor the cheese burned, but I digress...)...

[...] slice of yucky local pizza (sorry, I don't care for that stuff, never have, and probably never will...pizza sauce is not supposed to be sweet, nor the cheese burned, but I digress...)...

I could not agree more! I absolutely detest that local pizza, both the same kind served in the park and outside of it at the local pizza chains that you refer to. I have trouble eating much at all, the pizza crust is always too flowery as well.

And the Montgomery Inn ribs served up there actually tasted like...Montgomery Inn ribs...they were not just cheap meat slathered in a bit of Montgomery Inn sauce (the latter being exactly what was served at Wings).

Imagine! :) The blue cheese dressing was also quite superb. A little known secret was that it cost very little more to eat there than to partake of the even then over-priced fast food down on the midways. A lot more comfortable, dignified, quiet and formal...and wonderful food with grand service. All at the about the same price as a couple of cheese coneys and a slice of yucky local pizza (sorry, I don't care for that stuff, never have, and probably never will...pizza sauce is not supposed to be sweet, nor the cheese burned, but I digress...)...

When Columbia Palace was remodeled from a sit down restaurant, "Real" Montgomery Inn Ribs were served.

Dick Gregory actually came in a couple times to check on the quality of the products that were served at Columbia.

Many of the servers at International Restaurant worked there since the early 70's. I don't think I ever heard one complaint about the service or prices that they had at IR. I think that the only ones that complained about it was Paramount. But then, we all know my opinion of the Paramount folk.

When I worked at KI in the 90's, you could watch the ribs being cooked by Wings. They were slowed cooked over the grills and the smell was made you drewl for the ribs. And as Woofer pointed out in an earlier post, those ribs were the exact ribs that were served by the Montgomery Inn. Everything from the BBQ ribs, chicken, riblets and pulled pork were to die for!

Dang, all this talk of Montgomery Inn ribs is making me hungry!!! :)

Indeed, that is true, as I myself have pointed out in the past...but by the late nineties, what was served at Wings in NO WAY resembled the fine Montgomery Inn ribs served either at Montgomery Inn or at International Street Restaurant...the meat was not the same, and they were dry and chewy. In any event, those wonderful International Street Restaurant ribs are long since gone, not to mention those dandy ones cooked outside by what is now Wings. For a while, the Marina at Cedar Point also served Montgomery Inn ribs. Alas, it is now gone, replaced by a Famous Dave's...Montgomery Inn that ain't.

I wonder if by the time IR was brought up to 21st century standards, it would be more cost effective to rebuild the entire park entrance/restaurant area? Now I might be wrong, but does CP have a sit down, fine dining restaurant in the park? I don't mean a national chain store but their own high level restaurant. I have the feeling that if the main entrance was rebuilt to include a restaurant, the restaurant part of the construction would be borne by the franchise that will fill it. I doubt CF would spend the money to get into the fine dining business. But..it would be nice..the Prime Rib was amazing.

The fried chicken served at Columbia Palace was to die for.

Probably some of the best fried chicken that I'd ever had. Everything was prepared there and pressure fried in giant fryers.

One of the worst things I hated doing was working the kitchen at Columbia or in the Cook House. But there were some guys (and a couple gals) that absolutely loved working the Cook House.

I wonder if by the time IR was brought up to 21st century standards, it would be more cost effective to rebuild the entire park entrance/restaurant area? Now I might be wrong, but does CP have a sit down, fine dining restaurant in the park? ...

I believe you may mean Bay Harbor, which, though technically outside the park, is closer to the park than many of the cars in the parking lot! It is a fine establishment, and has the pricing to reflect that:

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/food...l_out/index.cfm

Click on menu and have a look-see.

I really miss the Boathouse at the Marina. Famous Dave's is fine, but the Marina restaurant was a class act, and a more modestly priced alternative to Bay Harbor.

The fried chicken served at Columbia Palace was to die for.

Probably some of the best fried chicken that I'd ever had. Everything was prepared there and pressure fried in giant fryers.

One of the worst things I hated doing was working the kitchen at Columbia or in the Cook House. But there were some guys (and a couple gals) that absolutely loved working the Cook House.

Columbia Palace has some great food in the day. That placed used to be hoppin! If you worked in Food Service, and got in trouble for something, your punishment was being sent to Columbia Palace for a close shift. It took hours to close that place, and it was hard work so no one wanted to get sent to CP for a close shift. The second worse place to close IMO was the HB cotton candy stand that was outside of the old HB toy shop. There was not running water there, so you had to carry buckets of hot water from Quickdraws to clean the cotton candy machines. It seemed like it took a gazillion buckets of hot water to get those cabinets cleaned out.

Ah, yes...the days of making cotton candy in the park. Now, only a few small traditional parks seem to make cotton candy on site....and I don't dare eat it for any of a dozen reasons. At Great Adventure, for example, for some ridiculous price like $9, you can get all you can eat cotton candy for the day...and heaven only knows when or where it was made...I suspect it is still made in the USA, but I wouldn't bet the farm even on that.

Columbia Palace has some great food in the day. That placed used to be hoppin! If you worked in Food Service, and got in trouble for something, your punishment was being sent to Columbia Palace for a close shift. It took hours to close that place, and it was hard work so no one wanted to get sent to CP for a close shift. The second worse place to close IMO was the HB cotton candy stand that was outside of the old HB toy shop. There was not running water there, so you had to carry buckets of hot water from Quickdraws to clean the cotton candy machines. It seemed like it took a gazillion buckets of hot water to get those cabinets cleaned out.

Titanic, do you think that the park now would be able to handle being as busy as Festhaus and Columbia used to be?

LOL, and if you got punished you were put on dishes at Columbia Palace! Oh Man! i'm

And I started out working at Quickdraws. I worked as a Line Employee, Morning Person and Cashier Foreman. When I started at the carts, HB Cotton Candy & Bam Bam's had a Punch Register (not computerized) and HB Cotton Candy Ran Money Belts.

I cleaned those old machines at HB Cotton Candy Many Times! When I was morning person, I'd get to the park - stop by Bam Bam's and turn on the Icee Machines and Hot Dog Grills. Go to Quick Draws and start the initial set up, then go back to wardrobe and pick up towls and my uniform. I'd stop by the cage and pick up money bags for the cashier foremen and on the way back to Quickdraws, get a brownie and Icee for my breakfast. <G>