"FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS"

marlfox_21

The Cincinnati Zoo's "FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS" Need I say more. On Thursday, I returned to my former zoo and was simply overwhelmed with the changes that have been made since my leave. The new education center is simply astounding. It is a true marvel to walk through. And dare I say that it is about time that this zoo has added some new and much needed public restrooms. And I brought one of my best friends from High School's niece, a 10 year old girl, whom I just love being around with me to the Cincinnati Zoo. She is just so much fun. And so very well behaved. Before going to the zoo, we stopped at McDonald's by Kings Island, and got her a Happy Meal. During this time she put her bunny into school on her giga pet. And recieved a toy of "Littlest Pet Shop" with her meal. Aside from this we also brought my fiances nephew, who recieved a "Yu-gi-Oh" toy and cards with his meal. Also coming along for this trip was my fiance herself, and her little sister. After leaving McDonalds, I thought that I would take Kings Island Drive up to the next exit and take my 1st look at The Great Wolf Lodge. This building looks extremely impressive. Although it was sad to see that the campground was truly gone. And the Eiffel Tower looked just as pretty as ever, despite the fact that there was NO tree of lights descending from its top this year. For having new owners, the park really did not look very much alive. But that is not to say that it isn't. So on we went to the Festival of Lights, and I think that one of the biggest surprises to me was the reptile house. Being a handler of venomous reptiles myself, I was pleased to walk into this building just in time to see them feed their King Cobra a rat. And as I walked through this place, Brett ( my friend's niece ) continuously asked me questions about the animals. I was pleased to see her so eager to learn. And after a few minutes, I was kind of in a trance looking at the Mexican Diamondbacks, when Brett started pulling on my leg and asking "What's This?" I turned to look, and had never seen this snake at this zoo before. When I 1st looked at it, I thought to myself

"A Boomslang" Then I thought, no the eye is dark, WAIT...IT's a MAMBA!! A GREEN MAMBA!! OH MY GOSH, THEY GOT A MAMBA!! The 3rd time around came out loud, and of course, Bretty corrected me in my excitement to see this species, and she exclaimed " TWO" "THEY HAVE TWO" My eyelock came off of the 1st one, and sure enough, there was actually a 2nd one in there with it. Then She asked me why 1 was brown, and I explained to her that they are brown when they are young juveniles. And they will lose the coloration and become bright green as they get bigger. And she repeated it to me which was just SO AWESOME.

Anyways, you get the point, this little girl is a trip, and I love her completely like she was my own. It was so much fun having her there at the zoo. So we went to see the Nativity Scene here, just like at The Beach, and we took Brett to see the Zebras. ( pretty much her favorite animal.. In the zoo anyways ) I absolutely love the giant Christmas tree by the rear parking lot to the Cincinnati Zoo. And When it got dark, all of the lights were so beautiful. And we went to see the Christmas Tree Light Show in the Wings of Wonder stadium. The kids really liked that. After about halfway through the day, my fiances nephew wanted to keep walking right beside Brett. It was so cute. Because he is usually so very shy around girls. And at one point, he turned to me and Christine, ( my fiances sister ) and said "She's really pretty" It was so funny. But we actually kinda kept em further apart after hearing this. But really, the kids made the whole day just so very great. When it got really crowded, and when our visit was about an hour or so from being done, Brett started pulling on my leg again, and asked me " Can I ride on your back" This was of course after observing a parent giving their kid a piggy back ride. But I also knew that she had to be tired. So somehow, I managed to give this girl a piggy back ride, that lasted for One full trip around the main circle of the Cincinnati Zoo. And that is a big circle with a ten year old girl on your back. Throughout the day, we did get to see everything including the White Lions, roaring, which really excited both of the kids. ( and me too )

Following the circle with her on my back, I proceeded to the car with her still on my back, and we went home at about 8:30p.m. Considering that we arrived at the zoo at 1:00p.m., I thought that this had turned out to be an excellent way to spend one of my days back in Ohio from Florida. On the way home, Brett fell asleep in the front seat, while Zachary fell asleep in the back with his aunt's. Yes, it was truly a really fun day with some of my favorite kids in the whole world, which I had not seen for nearly a year. And I would not have traded the day for the world.

m.f.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for such a great trip report about the Zoo’s Festival of Lights. We went on Saturday before Christmas just like Half of Cincinnati did. We really enjoyed all the lights and the tree light show was our favorite too. Although being a guy I enjoyed the ice sculpting a lot too (they use chain saws).