Camp Grounds

KI-ORIG-EMP

Do you think that the old camp grounds would be replaced? With Cedar Fair being the new owners, I wonder if they might have plans for new camp grounds? There is still lots of interest in people wanting to spend their vacation camping and spend their time at the park. This would also be another added source of revenue stream for CF. Any ideals?

Mike

When they first put up the GWL sign it had a smaller sign underneath it that said Kings Island Campground. They have since removed the sign, but I think there is a strong chance you will see the Campgrounds return, sooner than later.

I'm guessing the folks at Cedar Fair strongly encouraged the removal of the sign.

Considering CF's emphasis on lodging, and the fact that the only real way to grow revenue in the mature US amusement park industry is to increase per capita spending and length-of-stay, I will be very surprised if CF doesn't build a new campground at KI. Perhaps not only traditional camping, but maybe also cabins (ala Lighthouse Point at CP or Worlds of Fun Village...)

Considering CF's emphasis on lodging, and the fact that the only real way to grow revenue in the mature US amusement park industry is to increase per capita spending and length-of-stay, I will be very surprised if CF doesn't build a new campground at KI. Perhaps not only traditional camping, but maybe also cabins (ala Lighthouse Point at CP or Worlds of Fun Village...)

I think jzarley has hit the nail on the head.

PKI's old one had some cabins, but they were pathetic excuses for cabins.

To each their own...I thought they were a lot of fun...in fact I inquired about buying one of them when it was announced they were closing the campground...I was told that there "were already plans for them".

I am still curious where they ended up.

I think that there will be a new campground. Why I think so? Well I read somewhere else onn the site that all of the KC track, the Ghoster Coaster, etc. were all moved from there old spot, which is kind of close to the remains of the campground shown in the picture above. Just a thought....

"They" don't have any ownership in or connection with that expensive hotel with a water park. That expensive hotel with a water park is a competitor.

Official at Paramount's Kings Island, you say? CBS made that deal, before they sold Kings Island. Then they sold Kings Island, and kept the CBS interest in that expensive hotel with a water park. Actually, CBS offered their interest in that facility to Cedar Fair, but Cedar Fair turned it down.

I think a campground will return but not by FOF. I think the campground could be behind Beast or by the water park. They need to accomadate all people not just people who stay at expensive hotels with water parks.

You can go one exit down 71 or up the street and stay at most of the hotels cheaper than you could at the campground. The campground wasnt as economical as most of you like to believe.

From a cost aspect a Camp Ground is not cheap to run; staffing, upkeep, emenities, security. Unless they put in something like LightHouse Point I highly doubt the KI campground will open this year. I wouldnt expect the Camp Ground to come back for a few years if ever.

You can go one exit down 71 or up the street and stay at most of the hotels cheaper than you could at the campground. The campground wasnt as economical as most of you like to believe.

The cabins were only $60.00 a night. (Which was the cost for 4 people) They claimed it was $5.00 extra per person, but each time I would tell them that we had a person or so extra they said not to worry about it...so that meant $60.00 for 5-6 people...plus you could also set up a tent outside at no charge...so then you can add all of those people in for nothing. If you stayed in a tent in a spot WITH an electrical hook-up, that cost was $35.00...I believe it was around $20.00 for a non-electrical campsite. I have not found a hotel that cheap...but if you know of one let me know. (Plus you even got shuttle service back-and-forth to the park.)

• 1 month later...

We would use 4- 5 cabins and up to 10 camp sites for our group. Cabins were great for camping! Needles to say, a new C/G was in the works, but on the back burner, and was supposed to go along the river. Our group was 50-60 people, all with season passes, we spent 10 days at a time there. Last year, only 6 season passes, this year only 4, and they are for Carowinds. When CBS news was in charge, they could care less about the parks, hence the sale. At least a company that knows about amusemnt parks is in control, I cannot think of a better team for this job. I believe that a C/G will return, but probably not till next year at the earliest, my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...