Kings Island History, Both Old and New

If you look back into the past sometimes you see a glimse of the future. Sometimes this proves to be very true, and sometimes things are ever changing and will never be anything like they were in the days of the past.

In the spirit of the rhetoric above, PKIC is proud to share with you the 1974 and 1979 park Fun Guides filled with some very interesting information and historical photos. A special thanks goes out to CoasterMike for allowing us to share these photos with you. We have also added a photo of the elephant trail by WolferBearATL which has very historical significance. Click here to be taken to PKIC's extensive historical photo gallery to see these photos.

We travel through life making up history as we go along. On that note, I want to talk about something current that certainly will go into the history books for those whose lives it affects. I, and the staff of PKICentral, would like to be the first to congratulate PKI's marketing communications manager Maureen Kaiser on her engagement this past December 21st to her boyfriend (now fiance') Tim!

Maureen has been a very good friend to this site since our creation in 2003, and we are glad to call her our friend. We here at PKIC can not express how happy we are for Ms. Kaiser as she persues a new life of happiness. Let's not forget Tim, who I have met personally several times. He's a heck of a guy too. They're made for each other. Congrats you two!

Best Regards,

Ryan

PKICentral.com - The future is not set. There is not fate but what we make for ourselves.

Are you sure that wasn't a 1980 Park Guide. In a capation for the Scooby Doo rollercoaster picuture, it's calling it The Beastie. I thought it didn't become Beastie till 1980?

No, I'm not sure it's not from 1980. '79 is what I was told. Excellent observation.

I don`t know about The Beastie thing. I always thought that 1980 was the year it earned that name. But, that guide sure does make a big deal about The Beast, so it could very well be 1979 that The Beastie had its name changed.

Also, some more pictures have been added to the history gallery here. These pictures include shots of the Sunshine Turnpike, Boulder Bumpers and Witches Cauldren, the Ball Crawl in Hanna Barbera Land, as well as a couple of shots from the live Smurf stage show in the International Showplace. Enjoy the pictures!

And, congratulations Maureen and Tim!

I was going by the 1979 copyright date inside the book when I submitted it, but I'm not sure if the book was purchased in 1979 or 1980. I do know that the 1974 book was acquired at the park in 1974 because that's my mom's handwriting on the inside page with the date that my family visited (it was our very first time, on a Saturday if I remember) as well as on the back cover identifying where we parked. I'd like to thank Ryan for posting my submissions so prominently on PKICentral.com and for the recognition.

Mike B.

"Coastermike"

That 1979 brochure is just amazing. What a place. So many neat things. Even down to The Beast photo place. All the landscaping, "International" eateries and stores.

Ya gotta remember. That's all before Paramount got their twisted hands on the park and attempted to impose their vision on the park.

True. For me, also, I was 6 in 1979. Makes me miss being a kid.

By the way, being a golfer, that pic of Jack Nicklaus with the Eifel Tower in the background is one of the coolest photos I have ever seen. I want a poster!!

I really like that photo too and that course and the Bruin are both fun courses to play since you can see the park from anywhere in the park. Also on that same page I believe it mentions a college basketball or football hall of fame where was that located?

That was located north of the park and the new Great Wolf Lodge. If you go north on Kings Island Drive past the GWL, you will come to a traffic light at Kings Mills Road. Off to the right at this light is a large field this was where the College Football Hall of Fame used to reside. The hall of fame has long since moved from there, but the building was only recently torn down (within about the last five years or so).

That was located north of the park and the new Great Wolf Lodge. If you go north on Kings Island Drive past the GWL, you will come to a traffic light at Kings Mills Road. Off to the right at this light is a large field this was where the College Football Hall of Fame used to reside. The hall of fame has long since moved from there, but the building was only recently torn down (within about the last five years or so).

Had a football stadium behind it where Moller would play.

Had a football stadium behind it where Moller would play.

Every one is so big on spelling so I will go ahead and correct you: MOELLER.

Then whose to say that every word not spelled correctly in the forums is not a typo?

Try comparing them with my hundreds of other posts. If you think I have a serious spelling issue, then I think you can address it here. Until then, I think it would be a typo. (Considering I was born/raised in Cincinnati and know many that have graduated from the school.

Thank you interpreter for making my point.

Then whose to say that every word not spelled correctly in the forums is not a typo?

Try comparing them with my hundreds of other posts. If you think I have a serious spelling issue, then I think you can address it here. Until then, I think it would be a typo. (Considering I was born/raised in Cincinnati and know many that have graduated from the school.

You missed my point. Just about every thread on here has some one correcting another's spelling or grammar, don't you think that will and has gotten old? I want to come on here and read the comments about the topic, not if some one can't spell. So I saw this thread and I noticed no one has been corrected on any thing, just keeping up the tradition. Also I am a graduate of Moeller, so I do not care if you know any one or not.