• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the Shooting Star!!

Mike

Me, too, Mike.

Me, too.

:(

Now you have me all worked up......

time to go back into the 35mm slides and find my first love, yes there she is the Teddy bear!!!! putting your arm around your girl and falling in love on the Shooting Star!!!!!!!! Then down by the river for an end to a day to remember.

^I can't promise you any, I have been telling myself that I need to go through those slides for years now. I hope you have given me the motivation I need to do that now. Only time will tell. I do travel a lot and work insane hours, that is why I am on late at night all the time. So forgive me if I don't get to them.

We don't know the announcement date is on the 26th for certain...but there's a pretty good chance that'll be the announcement date. They had that date on the calendar for the announcement for a little under a day, but then it was removed. It's believed someone just put the announcement announcement (redundant? yes!) on the calendar instead of under events.

Now you have me all worked up......

time to go back into the 35mm slides and find my first love, yes there she is the Teddy bear!!!! putting your arm around your girl and falling in love on the Shooting Star!!!!!!!! Then down by the river for an end to a day to remember.

here's one of my dad's Coney Island postcards from before KI's time, guess its a pretty good one of the sky ride

IPB Image

Well, it could be the year after they removed the Wildcat. They removed the Wildcat so that they could put in the Skyride. To give some reference to that postcard, the Ohio River is off to the left, and Lake Como is beyond the trees to the right side. The picture is looking to the west. Beyond the Skyride station in the postcard, is Moonlite Gardens, which is still there. Speaking of Coney, depending on high the Ohio River goes up, it might find itself under a couple feet of water later this week.

Well, there is a great site called Cincinnati Views which has a lot of historical pictures on the city of Cincinnati. They also have lots of historical pictures on Coney Island.

IPB Image

The above image shows Sunlite Pool, the turnpike cars, the train ride, Lakeside Pavilion and the canoes on Lake Como. Lakeside Pavilion is still there, and the station for the Turnpike is about where the Spin-A-Ree sits today. Just outside of Lakeside Pavilion and the turnpike station is where the Eli Bridge Ferris Wheel resides today. The train station, is now about where the Tempest/Frog Hopper reside. Here is a picture I took of the Frog Hopper this past summer.

The train used to cross under two tunnels for the road into the west parking lot. Those two tunnels are still there, out by Gate 1, which is reserved for group picnics, concert events and special functions at Moonlite Gardens. (The employee lot is also right by Gate 1.)

IPB Image

The former Beer Garden is now used as the comissary for all the group sales picnics, and is located immediately behind the Administration building.

I`m not too sure of any now and then pictures perse. The above are just ones that I know about that show what it was like back then and how it is now. If you visit Coney, be sure to stop by the Museum gift shop/guest relations in Lakeside Pavilion, by where they have the "wonderful" live shows. (it is the building right next to The Ferris Wheel and Helicopters. They have various pictures of the park from it glory years in there.

For more pictures of Coney Island from Cincinnati Views, click here. I also have some picture on my site from Coney in 2005 here and from 2006 here. Let me know if you have any other Coney related questions.

Thanks for the link to the website. It brought back many, many memories. There are a couple of things that I noticed about Coney and Kings Island. If you look at the Top O' The Mall restaurant, it looks like a restaurant in New Orleans Square at Disneyland (there was some connection with Disney at one time) Also, looking at the post card from the tower at Kings Island towards the main gate; I had no idea that Kings Island didn't open with an International restaurant......In what year did they add the International Restaurant open and when was it closed?????