Loop Taken off Son of Beast

CoastersRZ

^

Correct I dont think Removal was ordered by anyone, but Cedar Fair. This may have been a recomendation by the firm conducting the structural and track rebuilds. Also could have been a negotiating factor of a company that was approached to provide new trains for SoB. Basically we would only build new trains if it didnt go upside down. Just a thought, but you can only do so much with the existing rolling stock.

^

Well looks like they are doing both.

Loop is gone, which is the decision CF and KI made

State mandated that the Structure and Track be modified which is being done also.

So honestly almost sounds like they are not trying to do this the cheap way, but instead the right way, for once.

^

Correct I dont think Removal was ordered by anyone, but Cedar Fair. This may have been a recomendation by the firm conducting the structural and track rebuilds. Also could have been a negotiating factor of a company that was approached to provide new trains for SoB. Basically we would only build new trains if it didnt go upside down. Just a thought, but you can only do so much with the existing rolling stock.

But who has confirmed new trains are coming? The park press release called for lighter trains, you can make the existing ones lighter, they were made heavier in 2002. No one wanted to build trains before when there was no accident, now there has been an acicdent and even more negative press about the ride, why would you wanna put your trains on there now? New trains at a high cost would have to be manufacturerd to the SOB gauge and if the park is claiming they are going to have it open by opening day or atleast some time around there, then thats not enough time to get new trains. I would LOVE to see newer trains, but I think the park is going to do a fine job or retrofitting the old ones.

But who has confirmed new trains are coming? The park press release called for lighter trains, you can make the existing ones lighter, they were made heavier in 2002. No one wanted to build trains before when there was no accident, now there has been an acicdent and even more negative press about the ride, why would you wanna put your trains on there now? New trains at a high cost would have to be manufacturerd to the SOB gauge and if the park is claiming they are going to have it open by opening day or atleast some time around there, then thats not enough time to get new trains. I would LOVE to see newer trains, but I think the park is going to do a fine job or retrofitting the old ones.

Nobody has confirmed new trains are coming, nobody has confirmed they aren't either, but that is my explanation as to why I think new trains are more feassible than refitting the Premier rolling stock. Taking the same line as why would you want your trains associated with this ride, why would you want your retracking, structural, and loop removal / addition of track associated with your company? Seriously SoB isnt the plague and a train mfg would add trains if said companies requirements were met. As in remove the loop and meet State of Ohio guidelines and we will build new trains for SoB.

ps Combat how are the burns?

While I'd agreed with pretty much everything you said, I think my thing is they really didn't make the trains THAT much heavier in 2002. Yes, they added the additional pieces as they modified the restraints, but lets face it.....those trains are SOLID steel. Bodies and all. Compare that to most PTC's, which either have the wooden bodies or fiber glass on the newer models, thats a huge difference. I'm not sure taking Sonny's 3-Bench train down to a 2-Bench train (which seems to be a popular rumor) is really going to make that much of a difference. Just seems like they truly have an opportunity to fix the ride, I hope that includes trashing the currently rolling stock. They are, without a doubt, the worse trains ever manufactured. Then again, they did come from Premier rides and they don't exactly have a reputation for creating the highest quality pieces either....

- Todd

Guest kwindshawne

I think they'll try to scale down the current trains before anything... it's cheaper that way...

I'm short, so I never minded the trains-fit ok with no problems.

I assumed that they were changing the trains not just because of the weight, but because of the seating configuration. The current seating position, which forces your legs up into your chest and is very uncomfortable, was required so that the ride could go through the loop without OTSRs. Now that the loop is gone, they should be able to replace the trains with newer ones that have a more comfortable seating position. That should reduce the painfulness of the ride greatly. And since the lighter trains reduce the wear and tear on the structure, its a win-win situation.

Some things never cease to amaze me. Schwarzkoph coasters have long gone through loops without OTSR's OR such a weird seating position. The nearest one to Kings Island is Greezed Lightnin' at Kentucky Kingdom, but perhaps better examples are Shockwave at SFOT, SooperDooperLooper at Hersheypark, Mindbender at SFOG, Scorpion at BGA, etc.

And the original permutation of the SOB trains did not have such an odd seating position. They just kept adding more and more stuff to the floor to raise your feet, season after season it seemed. I'm sure they had their reasons. Most of it appears to be chunks of plywood, but I am really not sure.

I have noticed over the years that the floor has been getting higher and higher on it and plus i receently hit a growth spurt so that could add to the situation even more. They should fit the new trains with restraints like The Beast has. Those are some of the most comfortable restraints on a wooden coaster i have been on. Or you could always let B&M put some on it because all of theirs are so comfortable you can pratically sleep in them.