Paramount additions

Shman

I have been reading and posting on the website for a few years now, and was also active on PKIU before the combination, so I have seen the numerous times that we all get caught up in ranting and b*tching about the things that we don’t think Paramount did well, or did right.

My question today could be a hard one for some of you, it might make you think for a little bit, and it goes like this:

Through the years that Paramount has been at the namesake of Kings Island they have added a lot to the park, both through complete new additions and just general improvements. Today I am asking what, in your opinion, has been a good improvement/addition that Paramount made, which do you feel was the best.

We have all read the negatives before, and we have all complained about them removing this ride and that......however I think that the good gets lost in all that. Lets not make this another topic that we complain about the bad, but rather lets think back to the good things they did.

Expanding the kids area to insure a more diverse family experience. I feel that with Nickelodeon Universe the park has ensured itself future out of state guests visits, that will translate to continued loyalty visits when Jr. gets older and on his own.

Don't get me wrong here but Paramount I think actually did a pretty nice job when they had the park. They were trying to keep the thrills and family rides on about the same level. In 2003 they did this well when they added Scbooby Doo and Delirium. Another great time for the park was when they added Boomer Rang Bay. The old Water Park was looking crummy. Once again they did a great job giving us thrill slides family slides, and a few things for the kids to do.

In 1996 the addition of Flight of Fear was what I would call one of the worse decisions made. One reason. The over the harness restraints. I can remember walking straight on that ride until they removed them. Now the ride is unbelievable with the lap bars. Now the ride is great and almost never under a 20 minute wait.

Then 1999 was freaking one of the best years. 1 coaster Face/Off which is small looking but is a very fun ride. Then Dropzone. Dropzone for what Im guessing the park paid to have it installed I think was one of the best investments the park has made.

Me, either. You see, I have ridden Ninja at Six Flags Over Georgia! :)

But I agree with the others, Flight of Fear, Drop Zone, Delirium and I'd even add Reptar and Scooby's Ghoster Coaster as fantastic Paramount additions to the park. I'd put Tomb Raider, Son of Beast and most particularly Italian Job in the catgory of disappointments (but the biggest disappointment, by far, was the woefully sad entertainment, especially given Viacom/CBS's ties to the entertainment industry).

I totally agree about the Son of Beast being the best addition but was done with the wrong company, I personally found Tombraider to be my other most favorite addition, finally mixing a ride with all the special effects, felt like a movie ride park was on the horizon, but after it's first year , so many of the flips had to be taken out to help it and the computer synchronize, it just isn't as fun any more, but the Tombraider at the dominion is awesome for all of its flips. Wouldn't it had been great to have seen a Volcano or Hypersonic ride go up at KI

I think Delirium and Flight of Fear were probably the best installations, with Face/Off and Drop Zone in a close second. Action Zone would be alot better if it were a little more grass/trees, and a lot less concrete. Tomb Raider is a great concept, but it would be better with a more reliable and interesting ride. Nick Central/Universe is what I think put PKI on the track to "Most Visited Seasonal Park" .

The only things Paramount did that I did not like had to do with asthetics. I much rather prefer the safari feel of Adventure Village over the concrete Action Zone anyday, as well as the Antique Cars over the industrial wasteland of Italian Job.

I was never unhappy with Paramount...I think they did a good job running the park. I would say that the 2 most important additions that they made for me were Delirium & Fearfest. The park did not HAVE to jump on board with a Halloween event...so I am glad that they did. Fearfest is the highlight of my year at the park.

P.S. It IS nice to see a thread that is not negative.

Linder, errrr. Kings Island would not have been vacant it would have been another mall. See Opryland.

Look what that man has done to some of the most beloved things in Cincinnati. Kings Island and the Reds. Need I say more? He is such a great business man, because he takes all the profit from his ventures, puts it in his pockets and doesn't reinvest in his ventures.

As a big woodie fan, I think that the SOB was one of the best rides they brought to Kings Island. I worked with Charlie Dinn and one of the best rides he designed was The Beast and it was a natural that the SOB would be its off spring. I think another two rides that Paramount brought was the FOF and TR:TR. When I first rode the Tomb Raider, I was not expecting to be flipped at the very start of the ride. The sound effects and FX added to the thril of the ride. I think that the IJ has not lived up to the hype and is a disappointment. But the best thing that Paramount did was to make the park a place for the family to come and enjoy and Nick Universe was the best area that they created. I look forward to the future and believe that Cedar Fair will add to the thril!!

Mike

I don't think Paramount gets the credit it deserves. I think they really upped the ante about the quality of attractions KI received. Yes, The Beast and Vortex were there beforehand. But under Paramount they got some really interesting and intriguing rides with some really great theming (albeit, it hasn't been kept up all the time).

I personally think the best addition made in the Paramount Era was Flight of Fear. Not only was it a unique and thrilling ride, but changes were made over the course of its history to actually improve it. Taking away the shoulder harnesses was the best thing to happen with it and it's easily one of the park's top rides!

i also think the theming for Tomb Raider puts that attraction in a league of it's own. It's simply an original and truly fun ride! I'm also a fan of SOB although I do think Face/Off is a bit overrated...not worth the long line.

Flight of Fear, FearFest (But on the other hand CF really up'd the Theming this year, MORE BLOOD!!!!)

The best thing Paramount did for KI was up the theming on a lot of it's new rides. TR:TR and IJST are two really cool rides that probably never would have seen the light any other way, and Don't forget FOF too, it may be 11 years old, but the launch from a space ship is still cool. (I love the Mini Mini's too)

From the guy who would make shirts for next years rides, and wear them in October...(And Before the Internet this was hard work.)

Marz

All I've known is "Paramount's" Kings Island. So, to me, that IS Kings Island. So, I guess I appreciate most of what they did. I think IJ is a neat ride, but I also disagree with its placement.

I'm just hoping CF doesn't mess up whats already there.