Disney Parks "big" announcement today at 1 pm

I know some have speculated that KI's "big" annoucement could be today (1/26/07). I thought it was interesting that when I was just on Yahoo, There was an ad for Disney Parks, and it said they were making some big announcement today, as well.

Parks try to avoid bumping into each other on these things...though sometimes parks DO bump into each other quite on purpose.

It is best to plan your media event for when you will get the spotlight all to yourself.

The big nightmare is to schedule your grand little announcement and then have some major media event happen that day (like announcing you are running for President, and then having a former president die an hour afterwards...)

Wonder what Disney has up their sleeve? Have a great day! I'm off to work!! TGIF!!

Probably the Pixar-themed ride ("Midway Mania") at Disney-MGM that's been rumored (and practically spelled out in the annual report), but not officially announced.

There's also been rumors that the Studios would be renamed "Disney-Pixar Studios" to replace the MGM branding (whose contract expires at some point in the near future...)

From what I can remember about what people know is going to happen but not announced yet the expansions of 2 resorts (AKL, Contemporary) and Midway Mania at MGM (considering its already under construction not sure how it will not be announced today). Although last year a new highway was built onsite and there has been some talk about land clearing.

Also if you look all it says is Disney Parks so we might be hearing about the expansions to the California parks as well. CA is getting Midway Mania as well but is rumored to be getting a ride based on the Pixar movie Cars which will use the Test Track ride system and will feature dual tracks so the cars race each other. There is also been talk that a new show might end up in the lake inside CA. Over in Disneyland there is the rebuild of the sub ride which is almost finished (although had a major setback a few weeks ago). Disneyland is replacing their monorail trains with newer larger versions not sure if thats been announced formally or not yet.

I believe the original plan though was this was supposed to be the grand opening of the new attraction at the Magic Kingdom at WDW the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club. Which had its opening delayed a few months.

I thought disney were gonna announce their new additions, finding nemo thing ect.

Plus i think they are launching their new site today.

This is prob why PKI changed their date.

I figured it was because Six Flags Kentucky Kingdoms announcements were today. They are expanding the water park.

They will announce 1:00PM Today on DisneyParks.com for those who want to know where and when. There are so many things they can announce and do on a almost Dailey basis so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Some possible rumors

"Toy Story Mania'

"Carland," themed to Cars (for DCA?)

"Pirate Land" (supposedly for Hong Kong)

New nighttime water show

20th century bus service technology

And most interesting of all,

new park!!!! http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/a...6/int/dint.html

I completely forgot something major being done to Disneyland. Its been talked about for a few weeks now on Disney sites. Half of Tom Sawyer island is being changed into a pirate area. Since it requires shutting down Fantasmic to get the work done they only have something around 3 months to do the entire transformation.

I wonder if they will ever build the Villians Theme park. That has been tossed around since the 90's, but they didnt think a Thrill park would do that well. Then Universal built IOA and how things have changed.

I would love to see a Disney Villians Park, some awesome theming and ride possibilities.

Over in Disneyland there is the rebuild of the sub ride which is almost finished (although had a major setback a few weeks ago).

Maybe I just missed this.....but I dont remember hearing about any "major setbacks" to the sub project. What happened?

This is as I remember it off the top of my head. The water return pipe from the water pumping or filtration (not sure which) was capped off since no one could not figure out its use. A few days after they flooded the lagoon they started all the pumps up and a couple of hours after that parts of the Monorail station and the walkways around the subs were flooded (in the middle of the day at DL). They got the pumps shut off not long after that but the damage had already been done. Last I heard they now have to drain the water again no clue if they figured out another way to fix the problems or not.

I'm probably WAY-OFF... but didn't Disney and Pixar part ways?

You're not way off...just out of date ;)

Pixar & Disney were set to part ways a few years ago, however, with Eisner no longer there for Steve Jobs to fight with they worked out a solution with Bob Iger. Disney actually bought Pixar and it's now part of the Disney company (this was announced almost exactly a year ago, and I believe the sale closed in the Spring of 2006). John Lassiter (sp?) who was one of the driving forces at Pixar is now in charge of all Disney and Pixar animation, and is a creative consultant to Imagineering.

As a result of the sale of Pixar to Disney, Steve Jobs is now the single largest individual Disney shareholder, and is on the board of directors...

New Dark ride is going to both WDW and DLC, details below

IPB Image

It's official, "Toy Story Mania" is the newest attraction coming to both Disney World and Disneyland.

Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted January 27, 2007

Toy Story Mania may be Walt Disney World's most interactive ride yet when it opens next year at Disney-MGM Studios, continuing a trend for "personalized" attractions and other experiences.

The new attraction, announced Friday at Walt Disney World, will merge the ride-through shooting theme of the Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin ride at Magic Kingdom with newer technologies to let riders and characters communicate with one another, and to let the ride computer tailor each rider's game. Another Toy Story Mania is being built at Disney's California Adventure theme park.

"We're taking the Toy Story characters you know and love and combining them with incredibly crazy video gaming for what we call 'Toy Story Mania,' " said Tom Fitzgerald, executive vice president of Walt Disney Imagineering, the company that designs Disney attractions. "Toy Story Mania is the next-generation interactive ride-through experience."

Visitors will ride through a series of scenes appearing as carnival midway games such as the ring toss and dart throw. The visitors will get to play at each booth, running up score tallies. Technology will allow them, with virtual images and 3-D glasses, to see themselves "shooting" rings, pies, eggs and other objects at targets.

Other technology will allow Toy Story robotic characters to talk with riders, maybe even giving them tips. And a computer will track how well each visitor is doing and adjust the game's skill level along the way, Fitzgerald said.

Disney World President Meg Crofton said the new ride continues Disney's growing trend toward developing attractions and other experiences that are more personal and customized.

Crofton cited similar robotic communication technology that will be used in the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor Comedy Club opening this spring in Magic Kingdom. She also cited the millions of giveaways and guest-employee interactions that Disney calls "magic moments" under the current "Year of a Million Dreams" promotional campaign. Such "immersive experiences," she said, are the direction for Disney World.

"There is no exit strategy for 'magic moments,' " she said.

Article from the Disney Information Station web site (DIS) http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/mgm/...story-mania.htm