Fireworks?

mutedarkness

Well if you think back to when you were young and imagine how it must be for those youngsters today, then you know that it is a big deal. Plus most guest go only once a year to Kings Island and that often is the family vacation so to those families it is also a very nice way to finish a day, things that family memories are made off.

Quick test: Can you remember where your family stood to watch the fireworks at Kings Island?

If your answer was yes then you can see that there is value in the fireworks as it leaves a lasting impression on of Kings Island.

The first time that I ever saw fireworks at King's Island was during Fourth of July about 3 years ago. We stood approx where the Demonic Christmas thing was during Fear Fest of course it wasnt there on Fourth of July but that was the area, sort of by Subway, Skyline and Monster and the Football game in Coney Maul. The last time that I saw fireworks, I was at the top of the lift on Vortex....Simply AMAZING!

Do you think Cedar Fair will keep the Fourth of July weekend celebration this year? I've been going the last few years and it is great. They have a fabulous display of fireworks and alot of shows on this weekend. They also had a picnic buffet for lunch/dinner last year in the pavillions which had a great turn out.

The loop was only a tradition for seven years. Fireworks have been a tradition at Kings Island ever since it opened. And before that, Joe Rozzi used to shoot off his fireworks at Coney Island on the fourth of July and various other times throughout the season.

Rozzi`s still shoots off fireworks from Coney every year on the 3rd of July for the annual LaRosa`s baloon glow. Watch out if you go to Coney on that day. If you think Kings Island was crowded on bring a friend free days, Coney is equally busy on July 3rd for the fireworks.

Quick test: Can you remember where your family stood to watch the fireworks at Kings Island?

Then and now - on the observation deck of the tower. Best place in the park to watch them from.

We go up about 20 minutes before they start so we can get a spot right up against the cage with no one in front of us.

My most memorable time was June 16, 2004. It was still early in the season, it was a weekday, (Wednesday), and there had been scattered thunderstorms in the area all week so attendance was light. As it got dark we could see very frequent flashes of lightning lighting up the clouds to the east of the park. The storm was far enough away that they didn't close the tower and you couldn't hear any thunder. We watched the fireworks from the tower against a surreal backdrop of silent lightning. I count it on the short list of the most awesome things I have ever seen.

So was the loop on SoB... :(

6 total years, with probably only 4 years that the ride was actually running makes a tradition?

Man am I getting old.

:)

I would also be surprised if CF would not have the 4th of July celebration at KI. The activities that happen at CP are on the 4th really bring in the crowds. IMO it would be just a bad business decision to not have the same type of activities at KI.

Browntggrr said in part:

6 total years, with probably only 4 years that the ride was actually running makes a tradition?

Although I agree in concept with your point, so far Son of Beast has operated at least parts of SEVEN seasons:

And it ran most of all but the last season, though it was closed a great deal in 2000 (probably a cumulative two months), and closed before the season ended in 2005 for repairs, didn't open until Memorial Day weekend in 2006 and closed July 9, 2006.

And CoastersRZ earlier in this thread had it right:

The loop was only a tradition for seven years....

Well, it's still seven total years. And Cedar Fair is dumping tons more money, engineering and time into it....(and some apparently ungrateful people here say they will be upset if they don't also buy NEW trains, sigh). Given what happened with Hercules and also given Rattler's less than glorious ride experiences and crowd appeal these days, I must admit I am stunned that Cedar Fair is trying to save Son of Beast.

Not only has it been a money pit, it has cost many good people in the industry their reputations, and in some cases, even their jobs.

Browntggrr said in part:

Although I agree in concept with your point, so far Son of Beast has operated at least parts of SEVEN seasons:

Yeah, 7 years.

What would be a good excuse for that one?

a) I probably shouldn't post at 5 in the morning.

-or-

2) Next time take my shoes off.

;)