Fireworks?

mutedarkness

So was the loop on SoB... :(

6 total years, with probably only 4 years that the ride was actually running makes a tradition?

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a controversy. I was just whining about SoB. I agree that it would be a huge mistake to stop the fireworks, and I don't believe CF will pull the plug on them.

I saw the loop as a "tradition" in the sense that it was the feature that made SoB world famous. It was even mentioned on an episode of CSI, one of the most popular shows on television right now. The "tallest" and "fastest" records are fleeting, but who would ever have the stones to try and beat the loop? I think SoB is a great coaster, but without the loop it has nothing to set it above all the other big wooden coasters around the country.

I saw the loop as a "tradition" in the sense that it was the feature that made SoB world famous.

In SoB's case, you would think that the loop would make it famous. Yet in the end, it was the uncomfortable ride that made it famous. The loop was the one thing that most never complained about. Now that it is gone, people will be even more critical of the kind of ride SoB gives. With any luck, the train improvments will make it a better ride- much like the train improvments on FoF.

I'm just not going to hold my breath...

Well, it is still the tallest and fastest wood coaster. I suspect it will stay the tallest for at least a bit more...as to the fastest? We will have to see about that even when it reopens. It is possible the new version may not be as fast as the original "Sonny" was.

Just make sure that ya list it as Tallest and Fastest Wood Coaster SBNO.

In SoB's case, you would think that the loop would make it famous. Yet in the end, it was the uncomfortable ride that made it famous. ...

I've seen a lot of comments about how uncomfortable the ride was on SoB, but I don't remember it that way. I wonder how much the structure shifted after the last time I rode it in June 2004. (SoB was closed for repairs the day I was there in 2005, and in 2006 I was there after the accident.) To me, SoB was much less violent that The Beast.

In SoB's case, you would think that the loop would make it famous. Yet in the end, it was the uncomfortable ride that made it famous. ...

I've seen a lot of comments about how uncomfortable the ride was on SoB, but I don't remember it that way. I wonder how much the structure shifted after the last time I rode it in June 2004. (SoB was closed for repairs the day I was there in 2005, and in 2006 I was there after the accident.) To me, SoB was much less violent that The Beast.

You've got to be kidding. The Beast is and has always been an exhilirating ride. Classic Woody. The Beast made ya feel as if you were hit by a truck.

Son of Beast was much less violent than Son of Beast? To each their own, I guess. I`ve ridden that ride more than enough times, a grand total of 121 times since it opened (which is more than enough). While I have received some good smooth rides on it, it generally is a rough ride. It is the only ride that I have gotten off of and thought that I would never ride the ride again because it just was a painful, unenjoyable ride. While I like the layout, and the views from the top of the lift are impeccable, I just don`t enjoy riding a ride and getting beat up.

Hopefully, Cedar Fair will have success at fixing the ride and making it a more enjoyable ride for everyone. When they open the ride is a whole other question. I don`t foresee it opening on April 21 though.

Son of Beast was much less violent than Son of Beast? To each their own, I guess. I`ve ridden that ride more than enough times, a grand total of 121 times since it opened (which is more than enough). While I have received some good smooth rides on it, it generally is a rough ride. It is the only ride that I have gotten off of and thought that I would never ride the ride again because it just was a painful, unenjoyable ride. While I like the layout, and the views from the top of the lift are impeccable, I just don`t enjoy riding a ride and getting beat up.

Hopefully, Cedar Fair will have success at fixing the ride and making it a more enjoyable ride for everyone. When they open the ride is a whole other question. I don`t foresee it opening on April 21 though.

I think that SOB is the only ride or coaster that I've been on that I absolutely hated. Now granted there are rides that are just nothing special but SOB is just a terrible, terrible coaster.

PKI had a corprate sponsor for the fireworks, I think it was Marathon. Wouldn't they pick up at least part of the tab for the fireworks. So even if there was some penny pinching the fireworks aren't going to have a drastic effect on the bottom line.

That's just my guess, and I'm sure someone on here knows for sure if that's right or wrong.

You've got to be kidding. The Beast is and has always been an exhilirating ride. Classic Woody. The Beast made ya feel as if you were hit by a truck.

I never said The Beast wasn't exhilirating. It's been my all time favorite coaster ever since the first time I rode it in the summer of 1979. But it is one violent ride. (It's supposed to be - it's The Beast.) The way the cars jump and hop around like they're about to fly off the tracks and the way it throws you around - that's what gets the adrenaline going and makes it so thrilling. Darn right it's a classic woody! I just remember SoB being a little bit smoother. I assumed it was because it was newer and hadn't "aged" as much as The Beast. I guess I just have weird perceptions when it comes to coasters.

Fireworks are a great investment, not only because the shows appeal to all ages, but they encourage people to stay later at the park (and thus, continue to spend money) than they otherwise would.

I can't count the number of times I've stayed a few extra hours at a park because I was waiting for the big closing show. And, since I was usually "done" with the park by then I always end up spending those few extra hours eating and shopping :)

I havent seen a fire works show at Kings Island that really lifted me up or stunned me in a long time. Even at the recent nights of fire the past years I've felt they've been a little lack luster. When I was 15 and went to WDW the first time I was just as moved and amazed as my 3 year old cousin at how well executed and exciting thier fireworks show in the magic kingdom was. PKI also tried to be way too politically correct with their event this year. The word "God" was removed from every song it once contained, including the pledge of allegiance. Now, I'm not particuarly religous or bible thumping in any sense, and I dont want to start a debate on God in the pledge but I dont think most Americans really care its there and right now its still part of the pledge of allegiance and in all honesty you could tell it was poorly edited out and ruined the momentum of the music it was set to. They also removed the word from Lee Greenwoods proud to be an American song and it too was poorly done, the editing that is.

And it works out great.

I remember when I was supervisor at Ice Cream Shoppe. Would have a small crew working for the morning. But on closing shift I had all registers in Ice Cream Shoppe, 2 dippers on each freezer and one person working sundae bar, one cashier foreman, Sipper cart and Popcorn cart people and a runner for both of them.

Yes, once Cedar Fair took control, they opened the gates before ten, but you were pretty much limited to the area at the base of the Royal Fountain. Or, on busier days, to the top of the Royal Fountain. It used to be though, that the ropes were stretched all the way to almost by the floral clock behind the Eiffel Tower.