would you like to see the current theming removed

raptor

Now that Paramount/Viacom/CBS no longer own the parks formerly know as Paramount Parks, I VERY much would like to see the theming change because:

1. The theming should accurately reflect who owns the park in the present, not the past. For example, we Americans don't fly the British flag anymore because we have a new government.

2. Changing the theming would make the park seem different, almost like a new park. And I think that would make my visits a little more exciting. Folks are more interested in seeing new things than old things. That's why museums have traveling exhibits.

3. I would like to see Kings Island have more of a local flavor, than an image developed by people in a far-off state.

These are my ideas anyway. And I respect the opinions of those who disagree. That is the beauty of democracy.

Have a great weekend!

Italian Chef

Yes; Walt Disney did make that quote and Dick Kinzel says he remindeds himself often of that quote, to keep him focused. Things have changed since then, but in some ways they have remained the same. I do feel like Walt would have like to adjust that statement if he was still around with his parks. Because WDW now fulfills dreams and imaginations of the very young and Walt would have loved to seen that. I think in today’s amusement environments that if one wants to survive in the business they better understand that guest have more choices and that a dressed up carnival better be dressed.

Side note; I have heard that Disneyland California has close to a million annual pass holders.

I agree with you about that past old traditional golden era feeling. As one who has been going to Kings Island since it opened I truly miss those simple times. Coney Island is still there as well as several other parks in the area that have held on to that simpler time gone by and I applied them. But lets remember Kings Island was created from Coney Island, because they saw a market that demanded more in the amusement park offerings, so Kings Island was created to give the public a place where the amusements would be current and room to expand well into the future. So yes I would like to preserve some of the past at Kings Island but cheer wildly with every new addition the park makes as I know that is what the founders had in mind. My family went to Coney Island over the 4th of July and loved the traditional feel it had. I’m glad Cincinnati has both parks and I would never want them to have the same feel to them.

^Raptor, I understand what you mean about the traditional feel for a park. I like that feeling as well.

But the thing that seperates Disney from a lot of things is the extent of the theming. I mean, you may be in Florida, but when I'm there, I feel like I'm in a different country(especially in world showcase).

For KI though, the traditional Coney Island style park would work much better IMO. I like the whole feeling of walking by the carousel, and what used to be the 'tiques. That was such a nice area of the park with all the landscaping, and then came IJST. It'd be one thing if it was like a classic Disney movie that would last through the ages, but the Italian Job, IMO won't.

• Like 1

I collect memoribilia from Kings Island since the day it opened, and to look at the old post cards, people would be amazed at how much detail was put into all the landscaping and theming. The whole concept of International Street was to bring a little old world flare to compliment the Eiffel Tower, I think this flare fell through with paramount in the fact that you could walk into any of those shops down that street and everyone of them had the same items as the one before, it never was like that in the early years of the park, even the uniforms were staged to match the theming of the street. I would very much like to see some of the old theming to come back to the park, it made you feel like you were more immersed in a fantasy world, now everywhere you look you just see buildings with paramount slapped across them. The only thing left of Oktoberfest is the festhaus and the viking fury. Over in Rivertown, The Beast was landscaped to fit into this theming but then flop in Tombraider which has nothing to do with that theming. I much preferred the theming of the wild animal habitat over the Action Zone, the Cobra and the Demon accented the area perfectly. I wish everyone could see pictures of the old Coney Island and how much detail they took pride in with the atmosphere, you would see that it is nothing like what the original concept of what Coney Mall was supposed to be. Final Quote: If your going to use themed areas, stick to a plan and do it right, don't throw an oddball into the middle of the theme, it ruins the effect.

Yep....like the integrity in theming at Cedar Point, Knott's Berry Farm or Dorney Park.

I think what they have done to KBF concerns me the most. They really have damaged the theming and overall feel of that park. I have read on KBF forums several people feeling that CF has not done the park justice (in theming), to say the least. With that said, CF seems to be heading back towards theming of rides and areas. Example: Spinning Dragon at WF, Maverick at CP, SSW at KBF. I guess only time will tell if they really are serious about theming and landscaping or not.

As a side not: I would love to see the Action Zone rethemed to a Safari Village.

I would like to see the current theming go. Maybe remove the Tomb Raider Theme since have the effects no longer even work. Remove the building and put an insane program for the ride. That ride would look so massive outside and may even scare some of the riders away and cut down on the line. :lol:

While I doubt it would be possible, or at least think that with electronics and what not that it would be hard...that does sound like fun.

I would like to see the current theming go. Maybe remove the Tomb Raider Theme since have the effects no longer even work. Remove the building and put an insane program for the ride. That ride would look so massive outside and may even scare some of the riders away and cut down on the line. :lol:

While I doubt it would be possible, or at least think that with electronics and what not that it would be hard...that does sound like fun.

Why would you think that? It's essentially an outside ride that is enclosed by an ugly building that does not fit thematically into Rivertown.

I love the original theming at Kings Island, different themes are more attractive instead of one theme, and an advertisement for paramounts at that, I guess it don't help i'm not a big fan of hollywood and I get tired of seeing movie advertisements all over the place. I'd like to see theming based around landscaping.

I originally voted no on the question but it wasnt a No it was a half yes/no. I have grown up with the Paramount Park and Didn't actually have a season pass until 2002, other than that my visits were quite sporadic. I always liked that the rides were movie themed just like the big cahunas in WDW and what used to be Universal, but it didnt occur to me until now that things really dont fit like they should. After reading all your posts, I would like to see movie theming and current theming to go by the wayside, If we are gonna go for landscaping than we need to do it right, and if we were gona go for movie themes than we should have done that right! so I change me vote to Yes remove the theming, I am for a complete revamping!

• Like 1

A full length inverted coaster is located just across Action Zone, it's called Top Gun (although it isn't a very long ride either. Fun, yes; Long, no), well I guess what it's called in 2007 is up to Cedar Fair.

Face/Off is one of the few types of rollercoasters that could fit in the space it is in. And in my opinion it fills the space nicely, except for the fact that it is too close to the parking lot.