SOB redux

Steveo3631

That would be possible but very costly. Additionally it would solve nothing. They are removing the loop so that they can slow the trains down. With that much extra track the trains would pretty much have to go at the same speed. Kind of makes me wonder though - how are they slowing it down? Magnetic brakes on the drop?

They're removing the loop so they can accommodate lighter trains, not necessarily with the direct intention of slowing it down.

Well, the sob I would assume would have people working on it just like Firehawk, but I think most of their efforts and worries are at Firehawk right now. Yeah im sure they would love to have sob up and running to but I think they would much rather worry about the new ride rather then trying to fix and figure out what exactly they are gonna do with the sob.

They have two completely different teams working on Firehawk and Son of Beast. Firehawk is scheduled to open Memorial Day Weekend, which was strategically planned. Their goal is to have Son of Beast open as soon as possible. Take that for what it's worth.

Well that could be pretty nifty! The only real problem I ever had with the sob is that I think it has to many helix like turns. I think it needed to have a few more straight aways on it, just my personal opinion. As I said earlier tho, im really really hoping for the drop to go underground into a tunnel and connect back to the track

A major complaint about Son of Beast (besides the turbulant ride) was that "all it has is a bunch of helices" which, after the ride is improved should prove to be a really great experience (ie Beast's finalie).

How about rethemeing Son of Beast to great measures, buildig a frame around the track and supports with plaster on it resembling a mountain range. Theme the trains to mine trains and include a bunch of scenary throughout the ride.

Love the idea, but I don't think we have $100 million to fund it, Mr Disney! :P

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While theming could be nice, it still wouldn`t solve the quality of the ride, particularly the smoothness of the ride. It would be like trying to treat a broken arm with a band aid. While the theming would improve the overall ride experience, the actual experience provided by the ride itself would still be rough and bumpy.

Guest TombraiderTy
I don't mind that theming, but no breath smell...

Stitch's Great Escape at Magic Kingdom has chili dog smells, It's Tough to Be a Bug at both Animal Kingdom and California Adventure have stink bug smells. Your going at a pretty good speed in the brake runs and I think it would cause more people to laugh then to start shouting and crying ;) )

While theming could be nice, it still wouldn`t solve the quality of the ride, particularly the smoothness of the ride. It would be like trying to treat a broken arm with a band aid. While the theming would improve the overall ride experience, the actual experience provided by the ride itself would still be rough and bumpy.

How does a band aid improve the arm?

Point is, I'm not saying how I would make it smoother and stuff, I'm saying how I would improve it with a theme and get more guests to it. With a zero g roll, that part would be smooth, and the ride would probably be retracked as well.

Wouldn't it be more like treating a broken arm by buying a new suit?

Why would the spend money on trains they are not intending to use? They want to get SOB back up and running, it don't look good to have one of the parks major attractions shut down. KI will and is doing everything possible to get SOB ready to roll in 2007, when in 2007 it will open we won't know, but I bet it will eventually sometime during 2007.

Well first off i think they put SOB in the wrong place of the park.I think they should have put it near the father.It could of made a better ride for the father and son.They could have put a couple of head choppers in and ran it along woods and would have 2 of the best rides at night.

Guest TombraiderTy

1. Retrack the ride

2. Add a zero g roll before the giant helix

3. Add the themeing

Okay? That's what I want to do, the themeing is an extra, it won't smooth the ride, retracking it will. Okay? Good.

I think adding a zero g roll is about as likely as Kings Island paving International Street in gold. In other words, it isn`t going to happen.

Why would the park buy G trains for testing, only to be replaced by PTC trains? Trains are NOT cheap things to buy. So if the park was buying new trains, they would likely be the ones that the park anticipates reopening the ride with. Especially if they go with the G trains, the trains have to be modified to fit the track gage for Son of Beast. It will be interesting to see when, and if, Son of Beast opens this year. I personally have my doubt about it opening this year, but stranger things have happened!

I think adding a zero g roll is about as likely as Kings Island paving International Street in gold. In other words, it isn`t going to happen.

Why would the park buy G trains for testing, only to be replaced by PTC trains? Trains are NOT cheap things to buy. So if the park was buying new trains, they would likely be the ones that the park anticipates reopening the ride with. Especially if they go with the G trains, the trains have to be modified to fit the track gage for Son of Beast. It will be interesting to see when, and if, Son of Beast opens this year. I personally have my doubt about it opening this year, but stranger things have happened!

They need trains to test the redesign of the track+ these trains were cheep by comparison.

PTC will not just put trains on a track they like to create trains for the ride

I don`t think you realize how much trains for rides cost. They are not a cheap item to get. Especially when they have to be customized, like they do (did) for Son of Beast. The park is not going to go out and buy a set of trains just to test the ride, only to turn around and go out and buy another set of trains from a different manufacturer. And besides, why wouldn`t they want to "test the track" with the trains that will ultimately be taking passengers around the course? Whether the park were to go with the G trains or PTC trains, they would both have to be modified to fit the Son of Beast track guage. Either that, or KI would have had to retrack the entire ride into a standard track guage.