Ride Variety

hawaiianfish

So does anyone else think that something Cedar Fair should focus on over the next few years for Kings Island is a little greater ride variety? Let me explain. I think Kings Island has a great collection of coasters and flat rides, but when I think about rides that, say, my retired parents would want to ride...there's really not that much. I think Kings Island will make great strides this year with restoring a lot of their live entertainment, so that will obviously appeal to a broad audience. As far as rides go, however, the only ones that come to mind are Eiffel Tower, the Carousel and Scooby Doo & The Haunted Castle. Beyond these, you have to step up to some rides that are in the little faster, (very) mild thrill category like Monster, Dodgem, Scrambler, Wild Thornberries or Zephyr.

I realize I am likely in the minority here as a lot of people in this group probably fall under the "bigger, faster, taller, crazier" demographic. And don't get me wrong, I love thrill rides as much as the next guy. I've ridden 154 coasters in 40 parks. I just think that from a business standpoint, it does not make sense to not offer more ride alternatives to folks that are not like you and I.

I'm also not suggesting that Kings Island needs to go and do a major "slow ride" expansion and add 10 new "slow rides" in the next 5 years. I am merely suggesting that I think it would a smart business decision if KI added a "slow ride" or two in the near future. This is yet another thing I find sad about the removal of Les Taxis (Antique Cars) for Italian Job: Stunt Track. Beyond the aesthetics (which are a complete disaster - the nicest thing I could say about the aesthetics of the area is that they are now abysmal), the ride removal removed another option to a demographic that opens their wallets and has an impact on the business. I do think the market for this demographic is there, and should not be ignored.

I'm curious if others think likewise...

• Like 1

Speaking of the train... maybe that would be a great place to reinstall the 'Tiques. And for scenery, the stations could be refaced to give that classic railroad station look, and maybe a model town or two along the way, through which the 'Tiques would also travel. Being a topic concerning the seniors, everybody knows how the old folk live for that Sunday Drive and talking about the good ol' days.

Anyway, just a thought...

Totally agree with this post. My parents always go with me to Cedar Point and have a good time, they have plenty to do from the awesome train ride (Kings Island destroyed the train when the waterpark opened), the sky ride, paddleboat excursion, the spiral ride, 2 antique car rides to name but a few things, my parents won't ever come with us to Kings Island because there is absolutely nothing for them to do. Don't get me wrong I love bigger, faster, taller, but I also like variety. I like to be able to bring mom and dad and some rides we can ride together and have fun.

Some suggestions, bring back:

Sky Ride

Antique cars

Gullivers Travell :)

I don't know how anyone can not like the train at cp, it's so long, scenic, has 2 depots and plenty of atmosphere, and it can quickly get you to the other side of the park.

Funny story, the 1st time I went to Cedar Point, my parents were gonna ride the train while I rode a coster and we were to meet back up at the train depot they were gonna ride a couple of times, neither one of us realized there were 2 depots, I went to one, they got off on the other, took forever to meet up, kind of funny :lol:

I alway thought (more like wishful thinking), that it would be really awesome if Skyrides went through some popularity boom again, and alot of parks added them back. If KI could connect Nick Universe with, say the FOF area, that would be great.

Another thought I've had is that if they could somehow extend the train ride to run behind TR:TR, under The Beast lift hill, around Vortex, Racer, FOF(and now XFlight), through SOB and put another station in AZ either by Top Gun's entrance, or where King Cobra used to be. Then just parallel itself back around FOF, Racer, Beast, and TR back to Rivertown.

I know it will most likely never happen, or if it's even and engineering possibility with all of the terrain, limited space in AZ, ect.

But I agree with everyone that the Antique Cars need to return. Maybe Cedar Fair will add some sort of paddle boat(swan boats?) attraction to the Rivertown pond, since other Cedar Fair parks have similar attractions.

Like I said... Wishful thinking.

The one down side to paddle boats, and this comes from experience at Coney, is they are not a high capacity attraction. It is easy for the pedal boats at Coney to get a half hour line on busy weekends. Also, there is a high capacity for guest stupidity on the pedal boats, Ie rocking the boat, jumping to another boat, etc. While it is a nice idea in theory, I just don`t see a park the size of Kings Island adding a ride like that.

I too think that a sky ride could be a popular attraction. Just imagine if they put in a skyride from say next to the Days of Thunder go Karts, that extends down into the end of Coney Mall by the Action Theater. However, I doubt that we will see KI add a sky ride anytime soon. Part of the reason the first sky ride was removed was low ridership.

I must say that the best train that I have ever been on is The train that rides around Busch Gardens Africa (Tampa Bay, FL). I love all the stops and the scenery, you can see all the animals as well, and it is a great place to see the whole parks. Everytime that I visit Busch Gardens the very first thing that I get on is the Train! lots of other people will tell you that too! Its just a nice relaxing trip around the park. And after the train, Rhino Rally!

• Like 1

I couldn't agree with this topic more. Kings Island has lost a lot of its rides geared toward the thrill challanged. I know from experience that my parents when taking a family trip to an amusement park would always rather go to Cedar Point because of the more adult ride selection. (Although my Dad is upset over the removal of White Water Landing, no bigger fan of flume rides out there than that man.) I think KI could use a Giant Ferris Wheel located in the Coney Mall section over by the old Laser Tag Building. They also need to put the tiques back in. I will say the addition of all the shows will really help this year. A balanced collection of rides is something that I think more and more parks are working towards, because families are the key demographic. This is why I still say OpryLand was the closest park to having it down Perfect. Fabulous shows, thrill rides, mild rides, great kids rides and beautiful sceneray. DollyWood is a very close second in this category. Call me old fashioned, but I have a great fondness and memory of OpryLand USA
  • Like 1

The older I get, the less I want to ride the big rides. I have been weaning myself off of coasters like The Beast, Vortex, etc. over the last few years. I just get too worked up going up the first hill. If I could start at the top of each ride I would be fine.

It's apparent that some upper level management reads this message board. One thing I have seen mentioned countless times is "improve the train ride" or "make it like it was".

One of the best parts of the ill-fated return of Winterfest was the train ride with the singing, audience participation, and decoration of a few of the buildings.

King's Island really needs to make the train ride fun again. I have filled out surveys and written e-mail to them a few times to suugest this and it seems as though others have as well.

Instead of cowboys and indians, put in some animated animal characters, or just cowboys w/o the indians, animated wild west town people - something.

The construction of a few Disney style rides with great special effects would be something I would consider. Maybe an "underwater" submarine ride or a high capacity boat ride.

Bring back some old flat rides like the tumble bug, as someone suggested.

• Like 1

The one down side to paddle boats, and this comes from experience at Coney, is they are not a high capacity attraction. It is easy for the pedal boats at Coney to get a half hour line on busy weekends. Also, there is a high capacity for guest stupidity on the pedal boats, Ie rocking the boat, jumping to another boat, etc. While it is a nice idea in theory, I just don`t see a park the size of Kings Island adding a ride like that.

I too think that a sky ride could be a popular attraction. Just imagine if they put in a skyride from say next to the Days of Thunder go Karts, that extends down into the end of Coney Mall by the Action Theater. However, I doubt that we will see KI add a sky ride anytime soon. Part of the reason the first sky ride was removed was low ridership.

It's not pedal boats at Cedar Point like coney island it's called paddle wheel (not paddle boat like my original post) excursion, it's like a tourist boat ride, they have a couple boats each of witch is run by employees, no pedalling required. Each boat holds about 20 people.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/park/ride..._excursions.cfm

I will second that nomination we still need to create a group dedicated to "Putting the Coney back in Coney Mall" That area of the park has lost the reason why it is Coney Mall.

Bring back the tumblebug, I used to love that as a kid, and why exactly did they get rid of it's replacement the sky lab, I loved that ride.

I will second that nomination we still need to create a group dedicated to "Putting the Coney back in Coney Mall" That area of the park has lost the reason why it is Coney Mall.

Bring back the tumblebug, I used to love that as a kid, and why exactly did they get rid of it's replacement the sky lab, I loved that ride.

The Skylab was removed because it was a maintenance issue with the ride, that I guess they felt it wasn't worth repairing. It was SBNO for almost the entire 1997 season.

Anyone else remember that Skylab was removed from the park for the 1992 season but made a come back in 1993? During 1991 they had some problems with the ride, and I heard they shipped it back to Germany to be repaired as to why it gone for a season.

The construction of a few Disney style rides with great special effects would be something I would consider. Maybe an "underwater" submarine ride or a high capacity boat ride.

Bring back some old flat rides like the tumble bug, as someone suggested.

Agree, My Dad is in his late 50's along with my step mom and we all loved the ride SOARIN at Epcot. Rides that are exciting and very smooth!

I think KI needs to add more shows for adults. They have enough flat rides already. They could also add a museum of PKI history.

Enough flat rides? Please tell me you are joking.

I can hardly wait til Delirium_Guy reads your post.

Besides, if you think they have enough flat rides, you'd LOVE Six Flags Over Georgia.

A park is more than coasters...or even coasters and shows. And you should be happier with the shows this year, by all accounts.

It's not like they had a lot of kids shows last year, either, though.

The Interpreter--who went through a phase of loving the Scooby Show in the old Enchanted Theater...and saw it over and over and over...