Scooby Doo At KI

beastfan11

I can agree with you about Dora but I think spngebob will be known for a while, maybe even as long as Scooby has been known topeople. But hopefully we could maybe see more Scooby things in the future such as shows, character walsking around ect. I hope Cedar Fair decides to upgrade all the phantom theater characters and come up with all new effects and when 2013 (ten years after scooby was installed) rolls around they open up phantom theater returns, Scarier than ever! And it would be cool that it would be openening on the unlucky year of 2013!!!!!!

While I think ultimately the rides matter more than the themes, don't underestimate the drawing power of the Nickelodeon brand for the under ten age bracket and their parents' money. And, even though Sponge Bob is approaching ten years old himself, the numbers for SB (and Nick in general) are pretty good:

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/...||cable,00.html

Of the top 15 rated shows on cable, eight of them are Nick shows. That's a pretty successful statistic by any measure.

Will Spongebob still be as popular in ten years? I certainly hope not...I imagine the five year-olds of 2017 will have moved onto new things. (Although, if Viacom continues to play their cards right in that market, it may still be a Nickelodon franchise...if not, some other media company will move in to fill the nitch.)

I've never been one of those people who think Kings Island should look exactly like it did in 1978 and the glory years of my childhood. Kind of like the die-hards on the Disney boards who complain about them adding the "new" (and thus not nearly as good) characters like Nemo, Lilo, Stitch, and Simba to the parks, since they contradict their perfect memories of the parks when they were children. It's a theme park...not a museum.

P.S. All that said, however, I'm all for bringing back Phantom Theater!! :D

The key is to bring in the new while preserving the older, historic and traditional.

Cedar Fair and specifically Cedar Point are well established entities in the amusement business.

Paramount/CBS and Viacom came in with absolutely no idea how to run an amusement park/theme park or vacation destination. CF is not with such lack of experience and knowledge. I'm confident (and hopeful) that the posetive things we see from CF now will continue into the future.

P.S. - Remember all the people that were saying that there would be no major new attraction in Kings Island's future for 2007. Seems pretty much that the folks at CF smashed that assumption.

Paramount/CBS and Viacom came in with absolutely no idea how to run an amusement park/theme park or vacation destination. CF is not with such lack of experience and knowledge. I'm confident (and hopeful) that the posetive things we see from CF now will continue into the future.

But yet, somehow, they continued to consistently maintain at least two of their parks in the top five seasonally attended (if not #1 and #2) for 13 years of ownership. Then turned around and sold the chain for just $1M less than the absolute maximum price that industry experts said they could ever hope for. (At a time, BTW, when the Six Flags chain couldn't even get the minimum bid amount for their last ditch attempt sale...) I'm sure Les Moonves is rueing his horrible "failure" in the them park biz ;)

Don't get me wrong...I think CF buying the parks is the absolutely best thing that could have happened, and having people own the parks who actually WANT to be in the theme park business (unlike Mooves, Freston, Kazmarian, and Redstone) is a huge step in a better direction.

And granted, I understand that your perspective is unique because of your personal closeness to the situation at the time Paramount came in. (Have you ever read any of the Knott's fan boards to hear Knott's former employee's opinions of Cedar Fair? The original KBF crowd seems to feel about CF the same way you do about Paramount :) )

But logic would hold then that I would not see such promise with CF.

Granted, it's early - but I certainly don't see that they're making any mistakes with the parks.

I'm confused on the logic you mention...you worked for Knotts at the time Cedar Fair acquired it?

My point was that one's personal opinions of the company taking over their employer will color their overall perceptions of the situation. That perception may (or may not) agree with the objective observers opinion. For instance, my opinion from an outsider's viewpoint is that CF has done a lot to improve KBF. Of course, there are a lot of KBF "traditionalists" who hold a completely opposite view...

I guess my real point is that not everyone feels Paramount Parks was the absolute failure that you do. (The CBS shareholders who pocketed the $1.24B come to mind first :) ) Even though they did a lot of things I didn't agree with (far too many to list here, actually), it's not a completely black & white issue with me.

give the CBS/Viacom people some credit tho. they did have some pretty awesome rides back in the day, and they tried to theme things when they bought nickelodeon.

I'll give Paramount/Viacom credit...but CBS, in its one-year tenure, earned no respect from me.

I couldn't possibly agree more. Three more years of CBS, given what I saw, and the CLOSED sign may well have been on the gates forever...

It hasn`t changed in exactly ten year intervals. It was the Enchanted Voyage from 1972-1983. It then was the Smurf`s Enchanted Voyage from 1984-1991. It then became Phantom Theater from 1992-2002. And it has been Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle from 2003 through the present.

Guest TombraiderTy

When Scooby is gone, I think that we can expect a new SpongeBob dark ride, and you have jelly fish guns or something instead of flashlights. You'd be traveling through SpongeBOb's world and stuff.

I think we need a haunted house next to the lake in rivertown, it would look like some old Frontier house or something.