Future of SDATHC

italianchef

Today I was wondering about the future of SDATHC. My original guess was that after the legal rigths to Scooby Doo expired, the ride would be Nickelodeon themed and added to Nickelodeon Universe.

But now that CF owns the park and if memory serves me right, it only purchased a 4-year right to Nickeloden - I really wonder.

Any rumors heard? Does anyone think that CF will renew the Nickelodeon rights? Or change all of NU into a Peanuts kids' area? Any ideas at all?

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

Sally Dark Rides are the makers of Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle. They also made Gobbler Getaway at Holiday World. Kings Island has rights to use Scooby Doo through Sally when they bought the ride from them.

I`d imagine, and this is just my guess, that Cedar Fair would want to try and extend their license with Viacom for the Nickelodeon properties. Nick is just more popular amongst kids these days as opposed to the Peanuts gang.

Personally, I wouldn't shed a tear if it burnt down! I hate the ride... NOT ONE SINGLE AUDIO ANIMATRONIC is in the ride! Quote me on that! PT was the most original, disney-like ride the park EVER had. Hopefully, the license will end and MAYBE... and only with some STRONG LUCK (unlikely)... PT could make a very amazing return...

As for Sally... they've made some STUNNING dark rides. Simply an AMAZING company. I remember when I visited their plant and seen some of the work going on for Tutenkaman (sp?)... but the Scooby rides are the WORST rides the company has produced from a dark ride lovers POV.

I am still suggesting my "Phantom Theater: Meastro's Revenge" idea too KI! I am a haunt designer, known by several in the industry... and have plans/ideas for it! LOL!. -Hauntguy

PT was the most original, disney-like ride the park EVER had. Hopefully, the license will end and MAYBE... and only with some STRONG LUCK (unlikely)... PT could make a very amazing return...

Enchanted Voyage

Smurts Enchanted Voyage

Gullivers Tubs

Turnpike

Skyride

Der Spinning Keggers/Winnie Witches's Cauldrons

And a myriad of other rides that are similar to or equal to what may be found at Walt's Parks.

Yes and no...

Technically they are just "mannequins" that have audio played with them or are on device that make them move (or rock)..

An AUDIO ANIMATRONIC is one like ALL of the PT characters. The eyes move, head moves, blink, arms move, they talk; their just fully automated animatronics. -Hauntguy

Given what Cedar Fair did to the Pirate ride at Cedar Point and given the wonderful dark rides at Dorney Park and Worlds of Fun (what? You mean there aren't any? Who knew?), I wouldn't hold my breath on Cedar Fair putting a world class dark ride back in Kings Island.

Then again, it seems to be a new Cedar Fair that does a lot of things the old one never would have (like pay $1.24 billion for five parks and an experience...)

Given what Cedar Fair did to the Pirate ride at Cedar Point and given the wonderful dark rides at Dorney Park and Worlds of Fun (what? You mean there aren't any? Who knew?), I wouldn't hold my breath on Cedar Fair putting a world class dark ride back in Kings Island.

Then again, it seems to be a new Cedar Fair that does a lot of things the old one never would have (like pay $1.24 billion for five parks and an experience...)

Or concentrating on entertainment?

I think they will keep the Nick contract because it's a very popular ride at the park for children and adults and there aren't very many dark rides left at parks today.

The Nick contract has NOTHING to do with Scooby...period. Scooby is NOT a Nick character.

And Scooby and the Haunted Castle came with its own license to use Scooby, which expires way down the road, time-wise.

(I continue to be stunned at the number of people who seemingly reply without reading a thread....)

Personally, I wouldn't shed a tear if it burnt down! I hate the ride... NOT ONE SINGLE AUDIO ANIMATRONIC is in the ride! Quote me on that! PT was the most original, disney-like ride the park EVER had. Hopefully, the license will end and MAYBE... and only with some STRONG LUCK (unlikely)... PT could make a very amazing return...

As for Sally... they've made some STUNNING dark rides. Simply an AMAZING company. I remember when I visited their plant and seen some of the work going on for Tutenkaman (sp?)... but the Scooby rides are the WORST rides the company has produced from a dark ride lovers POV.

I am still suggesting my "Phantom Theater: Meastro's Revenge" idea too KI! I am a haunt designer, known by several in the industry... and have plans/ideas for it! LOL!. -Hauntguy

DISNEY LIKE?..... OK. SURE. Only ONE teensy weensy little problem with that. This isn't Disney. And I can't imagine designers sitting around in discussions saying...OK..PARAMOUNT'S Kings Island SAYS TO ME....DISNEY...LET'S MAKE THIS JUST LIKE SOMETHING THAT YOU COULD FIND AT DISNEY! Actually, I would imagine that quite the opposite of this was a more realistic goal.

If anything, I would imagine it being more like....DISNEY, Let's look at Disney and find the most repeated styles, and try not to duplicate it so that when people come to PARAMOUNT'S Kings Island, they will be experiencing something brand new and original that they can't experience anywhere else, like at DISNEY for example. Please excuse my awkward sense of humor. But I think that you get the point.

just a thought

m.f.

Just so you know marlfox if you want to be more like Disney, you put in Disney style theming, add some disney style rides, hire disney style entertainment, request a Disney style price (although they have many new family friendly prices) and provide disney style customer service. Your whole post just kinda nullified itself the more you typed, lol

Yes you put in different attractions than what Disney offers, but Hauntguy is talking about aiming for "DISNEY quality" not just duplicating every Disney ride as you are implying. I for one would like to see a Pirates of the Carribean TYPE ride (not the same exact thing Marlfox) in KI sometime in the near future!

I've had it.

You know, to park entheusiasts, yea PT was great. Believe me, I loved PT as much as the next guy but it was falling apart. The park had an opportunity to either fix it up or retheme it. The park went with the ladder.

Being compared to a "Disney Attraction" PT was not in a "liberty square" type location at KI. It was in Kings Island's "fantasyland." In Disney's case they would have done the same thing, made it more appealing for young children and parents. IE peter pan, pooh, snow white. Those of you who have been know what I'm talking about.

Scooby Doo was a great idea. Way more kids say I wanna ride "Scooby Doo," than ever said "I wanna ride the haunted house." Do you think the kids say, "ooh he's just cardboard."? NO, because Scooby and the gang are anamated characters and it puts the kids into the animated world that they know on TV. Everything on TV (other than those stupid freddy prince movies) are 2D. To boot, kids get to interact with the characters (please dont harp on the functionality of every single flashlight). The kids are having fun, and the parents are smiling, that is whats important.

hauntguy, no offense, but Kings Island is not trying to appel to or impress you with SDATHC, they have 4 other themed ares and fearfest for that, If you dont like SD, dont ride it, you're just taking up space in line for the little kids that love it.

The point is, kids dont post on this website. Thats why this issue is always so one sided. But there are a TON of kids that come through that park gate that have a BLAST on SD. I know because my cousins, aunts and uncles LOVE the ride. And THAT is who Kings Island is trying to appeal to, not the regular coaster entheusiasts that post on PKIC, EPKI, PKIA, or any other website. For those people, KI builds, SOB, DZ, TRTR, BEAST, Delerium, Firehawk, etc. Besides, no average park guest ever looked at a map for the first time saying, "OOOH Phantom Theater in kiddy land, that sounds like a BLAST!" Parents of children however do say, "Hey Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle, that sounds like fun for all of us." Its very few of us that ever rode PT religiously, and sorry, but we cant win 'em all.

Clearly, by comparison of the lines, SD is way more popular with the familys in NU than PT was. You could practically walk onto PT on a saturday in july. SD's line is out the entrance curved around to stroller parking.

Personally, though I was sad to see PT leave, I think it was an excellent move and needed to be done.

Someone had to say it!

Personally I agree with you...I think, I like the scooby ride. But from what I have heard PT was alot like a "Haunted Mansion" which is perhaps one of my favorite rides at Disney. They did the right thing in putting in Scooby, but the park should have quit subtracting to add so darn much in the last several years. I would have liked to see more theming and development of the park.

I also do, like I said in the post above, want to see a ride similar to the execution of "Pirates of The Carribean" somewhere in the park...perhaps next year now that we have a coaster.

I think they should redo all the characters, and put PT in rivertown as Phantom Saloon, and make like an acoustic version of te PT song, and maybe make it a little scarier since it wouldnt be in the kids section anymore. But I guess we are all jst hoping that PT might retun in some way, however let's just be glad that we get to vist some of our favorite PT characters during one time of the year......FEARFEST

Bravo Tomb Raider Nick! Dead on. Hit the nail right on the head. Kudos!

Bottom line... it's gone... it aint coming back... it was junk falling apart when closed... it's a memory... move on.

SDATHC is currently making new memories for tons of little ones just like Enchanted Voyage/Land of the Dooz etc. did for me as a kid. Let them enjoy it. I am personally happy to see a line for this attraction, PT NEVER had one. All too often little ones were terrified and had to be calmed by parents when entering Phantom Theatre. I have never been a proponent of scaring a child away from rides.

Oh and someone mentioned something to the effect of Enchanted Voyage, Smurfs, Gulliver, Winnie Witches Cauldrons etc being on par with Disney. Well, I am sure Uncle Walt just sommersaulted in his grave (or at least his head spun around in the jar) Nothing... and I mean NOTHING at KI has ever been on par with Disney. KI is my favorite park... however it's ride quality is that of a seasonal park. Disney rides have always been backed by an immense floodgate of studio money so they are built to reflect that.

Shaggy

Ok... PT aside; KI needs a SCARY dark ride (not TR:TR) geared towards the teens/adults. If it's such a "family" park... why does it concentrate on the kids?

Thank god that Firehawk is coming to fill the teens/adults hunger for thrills. But EVERY park needs a good.... SCARY dark ride for teens and adults. I would suggest the new dark ride from DARK RIDER/HALLOWEEN PRODUCTIONS called "Monster Mansion". You can see it here:

http://www.halloweenproductions.com/MM_ride.php

And for $1M... that's a GREAT deal! -Hauntguy

does anyone know where to find a POV of Phantom Theater, if you don't want to post it, pm it to me!

POST 300!!!

Alienseed has a homemade soundtrack of the entire ride experience through PT, believe me it is an amazing piece of art that captures PT perfectly. He posted it on halloween but took it down at midnight november 1st. I was lucky enough to record it onto my computer so I have a copy of it but I will not distribute it without his permission. Perhaps you can convince him to repost it...or not.

BTW, TRTR isn't meant to be scary, it's meant to be thrilling.