Geauga Lake Takes New Direction

I don't wish to seem like a skeptic. But I don't see how GL REDUCING its number of rides could possibly help attendence. In my opinion, it would have the opposite effect.

I hope that I'm wrong.

I don't think it will improve attendance...what it should do is improve profitability, since by reducing the park's footprint they're reducing overhead, so it will cost less to service the guests that they do get.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they make parks fit the demand. To have a park expand it will have to have a increase in attendance to support it. If you have to much overhead it will take from the bottom line. If you look at Carowinds it has had a large increase in attendance the last 6 years or so. I would bet at Carowinds you will see more action in the next couple of years.

They can't be a picnic park if your not allowed to bring your own food and baskets. I mentioned on another forum that they should focas theirselves to be a "Kennywood Of The North". Also, there are pictures of Villains trick track being removed and Dominator and Head Spin seem to be the candiates to be repainted.

I'm pretty sure they mean current attractions and the only rides in the park that need a fresh coat are Head Spin and Dominator.

He said what he said. Nowhere did he say current thrill rides would be getting the paint jobs. Marketing people are very clever in what they say. Almost always the complete truth is hidden in there somewhere. If he meant to say what you say he meant, he would have said it. He didn't.

They will.

Wherever they end up, they will be repainted. One, we know, will be at Kings Island and no longer neon green.

The other will also be repainted.

Read between the technically correct marketing speak lines.

Two Geauga Lake attractions will have been repainted...they will just also be somewhere else.

I'm pretty sure they mean current attractions and the only rides in the park that need a fresh coat are Head Spin and Dominator.

He said what he said. Nowhere did he say current thrill rides would be getting the paint jobs. Marketing people are very clever in what they say. Almost always the complete truth is hidden in there somewhere. If he meant to say what you say he meant, he would have said it. He didn't.

Yea, but it was stated as one of the improvements for 2007. How would repainting rides that arn't at GL be an improvement? That's almost like them menting that Ninja at SFMM was getting repainted in an article for Dorney parks 2007 plans.

A Kennywood feel at Geauga Lake? I don't see how. Kennywood has an awesome, traditional park feel...and great, unique coasters like Phantom's Revenge and Thunderbolt, Racer and Jack Rabbit. Kangaroo, Turtle, Noah's Ark! :) Great food, shows, atmosphere, history...a national landmark.

Locals in the Geauga area were used to seeing Shamu (or Shakura), riding the Big Dipper and the Rocket Ships (which are still on property last I heard)...but Kennywood at Geauga? I don't see it. I just don't see it.

I don't see how. Kennywood has an awesome, traditional park feel...and great, unique coasters like Phantom's Revenge and Thunderbolt, Racer and Jack Rabbit. Great food, shows, atmosphere, history...a national landmark.

Locals in the Geauga area were used to seeing Shamu (or Shakura), riding the Big Dipper and the Rocket Ships (which are still on property last I heard)...but Kennywood at Geauga? I don't see it. I just don't see it.

Everyone mentions that GL was at it's best in the 80's and from what I heard, KW and GL were comparable.

I didn't hear. I went to Kennywood in the 80's. And to Geauga Lake.

I know Kennywood. I adore that park.

Geauga Lake was not then, nor has it ever been, even close to Kennywood. I doubt it ever will be, either.

I would be remiss if I didn't add that, in my humble opinion, GL's worst days were under Six Flags. They tried, and failed, to make the park something it was never intended to be. Falfas is right. It isn't Cedar Point East.

I don't like the changes they are making to the park. They are getting rid of everything on the ride side and not putting anything new in except water park attractions. I think the existing steel coasters will be sent to other CF parks in the next few years and the park will close or be sold for real estate. This is my opinion. I liked the park best when Six Flags owned it they had the animals, shows, and coasters.

well... I would like to see them move a wooden coaster without going over the coast it would need to a build a new one... And dominator is a terrain ride. Plus there is no room for dominator at cp AND they have a stand up coaster... thats like adding a boomerang and an Invertigo at the same place. Thanks for the good laugh... I was in a bad mood

Why do people think the park is automatically closing down because they removed two coasters? Why not jump on the gun and go all "SFMM IS GOING TO CLOSE IN TWO YEARS!!!THEY SHOULD SEND SCREAM TO GE AND TATSU TO GADV AND BULLDOZE THE REST FOR REEEEELESTATE!!!!!!!". Trust me, no other coasters will be leaving. The park will stay a park as long as CF invests money into it.