Firehawk Construction Is Well Under Way!

Earlier today I was privileged enough to take a quick tour of the construction site of Firehawk. Of course I just had to share my experience with you, the fine folks of Kings Island Central!

Track spans several hundred square yards of the parking lot now and is waiting for its new home behind Ft. JG Cooper. At Ft. Cooper, excavation has been completed and now construction presses on for laying footings and the retaining wall.

Click here to see photos!

Regards,

Ryan

PKICentral.com - You know Philly Beef & Swiss, there are starving kids in China who don't even HAVE a parking spot.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They certainly have a LOT of work to get done between now and the end of May. I really like the red color that they are painting the track. I think that the entire track piece will be painted red, much like it was green as X-Flight.

Yes, those guys had to be freezing today! And it is so cold out, that even with admixtures, I doubt they can pour much concrete right now! But, they have a lot of rebar work that they can get started on. I`m still trying to figure out what portion of the ride will be located by that retaining wall in the last picture.

Hmmmmm... painting it before they assemble it and in the dead, freezing cold of winter.

Can you say touch ups?

Oh, and does anyone remember what the "touch ups" looked like on Face/Off when the sun "chalked" the paint after it's first year?

It resulted in a Dalmation effect.

You know what baffles me? How come parks and ride manufacturers don't use Auto paint? Call me naive, but I've never seen a car's paint fade as fast as coasters seem to.

Shaggy

Hmmmmm... painting it before they assemble it and in the dead, freezing cold of winter.

Can you say touch ups?

Oh, and does anyone remember what the "touch ups" looked like on Face/Off when the sun "chalked" the paint after it's first year?

It resulted in a Dalmation effect.

You know what baffles me? How come parks and ride manufacturers don't use Auto paint? Call me naive, but I've never seen a car's paint fade as fast as coasters seem to.

Shaggy

I can tell you for sure that it'll be painted after assembly. If that's the color which it's being painted (which I'm guessing it is) they probably just painted that section to see how it looked before committing to anything.

I know a little about Auto paint. It would probably be the cost and prep work as to why they don't use it. You are looking at a minimum of 200 bucks for base/clear a quart to make it sprayable and clear it. Thats not including the the labor and prep work plus the primer. If they wasn't going to do the prep work it would be a waste of time.

As for painting in the cold some problems you have are as Shaggy said. Plus if you are using a catalyst or as some call it hardener, the chemical reaction doesn't take place below 55.

I worked in a body shop without a heated paint booth for years. If you think the guys working on the coaster are having a hard time, try painting cars with no heat at 0 getting paid flat rate. When they come back with the paint falling off you work for free to fix them. I am glad them days or over.

Nice Pics Ryan, The track color looks cool. Though I would Paint it in a warm building so it has a chance to dry at room temperature. I was also wondering if anyone was going to take Pics of the construction of Firehawk. As for the name I’m starting to warm up to the name. I love the new logo, allot better than the X-Flight logo. Who thought of that X-Flight Logo anyways? But I’m looking forward to seeing an update and the 2007 Season. Plus 2007 is my 5th Season and Kings Island is celebrating its 35th :lol:

Great pictures Ryan! As always you know exactly what members want to see and have the contacts to get it accomplished. Thanks!!!

Funny I have never seen any speed limit signs inside the park and that’s probably why Maureen was driving.

IMG_6900.jpg

I just wanna know, most of us have been to Geauga Lake, so we've rode X-Flight. So why is it such a big deal? Oh wait, Firehawk!. New name, must be more exciting.

well out of the 2,490 members PKIC has, I doubt almost everyone has been on it so, and Kings Island is getting a new coaster whats not to get excited about?!? :blink:

I just wanna know, most of us have been to Geauga Lake, so we've rode X-Flight. So why is it such a big deal? Oh wait, Firehawk!. New name, must be more exciting.

Oh rly? You can account for all 2500 members on this board as to what parks they've been to and if they've ridden x flighto r its clone batwing, where do u people get such amazing powers?

You know it’s about 6 hours for me to get to GL, that is why I have never been there and because I would rather go to CP which is closer. So I am really excited about Firehawk coming to Kings Island!! But…to be honest I am getting more excited about the entertainment coming back to the park and about the changes happing to this site in the process. I was really hoping that the park was going to make an announcement in regards to the upcoming new shows and all the other changes happening for next year. So if Kings Island and PKICentral really wants to get me completely excited and all jazzed up…Tell Me More!!!!