New KI Theming?

Swanky333

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the article I read in the Enquirer the other day, and I quote, "Paramount-themed attractions...will not be affected because they have separate licenses with Paramount Pictures for the rights to use the names."

After that expires, though, it's anyone's guess. I don't remember a lot of the park in its pre-Paramount days (seeing as how I spent the entire time in Hanna-Barbera land), but I would like to see more Oktoberfest themed stuff. Festhaus...unfortunately, didn't seem really Festhaus-ish the last time I was there.

Coney Mall is my favorite part of the park, and they'd definitely have to work on doing something with that. Maybe make IJ into some sort of adventure ride, something that would take you through different places...maybe take you through different parts of Cincinnati or America? I know it's kind of short, but it might work.

I think Fort Cooper (or whatever it's called, forgive me, I'm new) is slowly becoming its own area, with FoF and Firehawk now. That's fine with me, if they want to go with it, just don't re-theme Racer or something (or else they will be hearing from me, big and loud). They got the space; why not expand?

I'm just glad they removed the Paramount from the sign.

any consistent theming would be good. nearly all the rides they have added since paramount have been "themed" towards movies- naturally (and I guess rightly so). But, under that they all belonged in "Paramount's" Action Zone. A name like Tomb Raider doesn't belong in Rivertown, FOF didn't belong in Coney Mall, etc...

My thought is, just be consistent with whatever theming they start.... and I'm not too encouraged so far since the name of the new coaster is "Firehawk" and is parked right next to Fort Cooper. Unless.... and help me here, is Firehawk coded to some air force terminaology? If that were the case, then negate this whole paragraph.

i think that they should turn the whole Coney Mall into Fort Cooper. And yes, Firehawk is a modified Blackhawk Helicopter. It should be divided into 3 Sections.

Action Zone:

Delirium, Tomb Raider, Drop Zone, IJST.

Fort Cooper:

FoF, Firehawk, Top Gun. (Change The Racer's Theming)

Riverfront:

The Beast, Adventure Express, Congo Falls.

Nickelodeon part.....whatever.

For some reason I think a lot of people would have a problem with them changing The Racer to Top Gun.

The Racer has always been called The Racer, it was the parks first rollercoaster and is one of the first things that comes to mind when I think of the Coney Mall. It really adds to that old time amusement park feel that the Coney Mall has. Changing The Racer theming would be a very bad decision, I doubt that even CBS would've even done that.

And an out-and-back racing wooden rollercoaster doesn't really give that Top Gun feel.

more organization and attract new customers.

i also think they should bring back the monorail, going from section to section. cause, i think i can speak for everyone when i say i'm tired of walking half a mile from Drop Zone to The Beast.

Walkings Good for you ;) and why would you go from Beast to DropZone why not just go around the park in a Big Circle in stead of going from Topgun to Flight of Fear to Avatar to Adventure Express to Beast when you could go from Topgun Adventure Express FOF Beast then to Avatar. Thats just how I do it.

actually I believe it would "be better in the longrun" if they just rethemed the rides according to what area they are currently in, instead of relocating everything OR they could just leave all the ride theming alone and just theme the areas and just change the names of the rides like TRTR could become Lost Rivertown Temple lol :lol:

A big common debate here on this board for years is how to make everybody happy (realistic just most). Some want more record breaking skyscraper coasters and some want more shows, while yet others wold like to see more family like attractions including relaxing common areas.

Theming is the only thing that all these groups can agree on! The more the merrier and they would like to say WOW look at al this it makes the attraction more enjoyable. For what ever reason seasonal parks do a poor job and at best an ok job when it comes to theming.

So; To Theme are not to Theme that is the question?

I think if Cedar Fair would like to get to the next level of overall guest satisfaction, then it does not matter in what order they put in various attractions as it seems that guest really want it to have awesome theming.

It’s been said before by many; “If your going to do it then do it right!â€Â.

I truly believe that various members from the former paramount management team understood that and knew that was what guest really wanted and tried to make it happen. Then somewhere down the line the bean counters came in and said guest will still come if we just give the attraction a waterdown version of what was originally planned. I say this because if you look back to what the former park management would say about a new attraction and by opening day the attraction only would have about half of what was originally planned (as far as theming went).

^I agree with you TopGun. That's usually the same direction I walk when i'm at the park as a guest instead of an employee. Also, I'm pretty sure that people arent visiting Kings Island because of where the rides are. If you were right and placement of rides played the biggest part of bringing people into the park, than attendance would go down because of where Firehawk is going in. I agree with everyone that if KI rethemed some of the rides to actually fit where they are, it would make the park a better atmosphere.

Most of my family and friends don't go to KI for the themeing. They go to ride the rides. If they want major themeing they go to Univeral Studios and WDW.

All I can say, is play dressup with IJ:ST make it presentable from where its at. continue with the Military theming that you have over in Fort Cooper. I would contact the USAFM and get help mocking up a fighter jet to place in a very scenic display, to help tie the whole area together. I would also stick with the theming of Action Zone...Everything over there aside from congo Falls is really an Action Zone type theme when you think about it...the premise of SoB is trying to capture the son, so there is action. I would however take out that vast spanse of concrete and put in some nice shade trees. I dont care what Kind...but CF, AZ needs trees! Tomb Raider needs to be rethemed somewhat on the inside I believe, but from the very outside with the jeep on display and the tall grasses, and bamboo queue I think that the ride does mix in with the concept of "River Town" It looks like a desolate area that you could find near a river. So I say other than IJ:ST being in a really bad spot, if CF really concentrates on theming new zones not neccesarily just overly correcting these old ones, then it will really tend to hide the spots that arent theme as well! Which I dont see it as being too bad at KI.

Hmmm. To be a bit more realistic in terms of budget and changes, the three things I'd do IMMEDIATELY is get rid of the Paramount's Action Zone sign, the silly little Paramount water tower and rename the Paramount Theater. Doesn't cost that much, and definitely makes a statement.

The only problem I see with removing the water tower is that the are would look way too plain. It would be almost like a parking lot, they would need to put something in the there to replace the tower, or else we'll just have a big slab of concrete more so than now.