A Five Year Plan You Decide

westcoasterman

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks it is nice to feel useful again. Had bad 2 year stretch battled cancer and won but, lost job in the fight. Trying to get life started again for my two boys, girlfreind and her son. I really enjoy Amusement/Themeparks. Like it so much I worked 5 five years for Disney.

Congratulations.

Ya know ya won the important fight.

And always remember, that it's gonna be friends and family that are with you in the end. The job is just a means to an ends. In the long run, there will always be another one. Ya only get one life.

Thank You WooferBearATL

Friends and Family have been the reason for my turnaround and a girlfriend that has stood strong through all this and a divorce that took 31 months right in the middle. You do get a new perspective on life when you are told 9 months or less or major surgery. I am minus 2/3 of right lung and 1 rib but, I am alive. Thanks again for the kind words. Now back to the Park. Great ideas keep flowing, hopefully someone is watching...

One thing that seems to be bothering some people is removing Sky coaster. I think it should be relocated not destroyed. It makes more since to put all pay-per-play rides together in an area you could use on edge of or from future hotels then exclusively by park patrons. You have to look at chances for more possible profit down the road.

I would like to see the development of a new dining/shopping area that would connect the main park with Boomerang Bay. The area would be behind the "middle ground" between the two parks. It would be connected by paths and could possibly be reached by riding the train (don't have its route memorized real well). I think that with this placement, it would be sort of a "destination" that would lead people through both sides of the park, and would facilitate more movement between the two. Possible place for hotel down the road, as well (people brought in by monorail?).

I am really impressed with the water park, and I think this development would tie it in more with the main park. I think the time is coming for an all-new area. As much as I would like to visit Kings Island circa 1975, its all-new, brand new experiences that keep bringing people in.

I disagree. I think those people who are going to ride those type of rides will go to those rides. If it were between water park and kids area it would get all the picnic people too. If it were accessible to people at hotels it would do just as well or better. Provided they put a hotel on that side also. A hotel like Breakers Express. A large value hotel would have more teenage kids and college students due to cost.

Not disagreeing with PKIFAN but, the idea that pay-per-play rides have to be spead out. I remember at least twice last year when parents were complaining you pay this much to get in and everywhere you look they have an attraction that needs more money. It is upsetting to some people. Me it does not bother but, why not try to maximize profit potential and put all together.

Not disagreeing with PKIFAN but, the idea that pay-per-play rides have to be spead out. I remember at least twice last year when parents were complaining you pay this much to get in and everywhere you look they have an attraction that needs more money. It is upsetting to some people. Me it does not bother but, why not try to maximize profit potential and put all together.

I think that we'll see the end of the upcharge attractions within the next 5 years.

It's all cyclical as I've pointed out in the past.

Disney discovered it years ago when they went from the ticket to ride systems.

Coaster Extreme it is not that I do not like your ideas. It is that I like the Viking Ship and it's placement and I do not think getting rid of Scooby ride for a Soarin ride is feasible it would cost to much and you have a different demographic of people at Kings Island versus Disney. Disney is catering to young and old but, Kings Island is a more extreme ride park. I think all ideas should be on the table and hopefully Cedar Fair is listening.

The family emphasis could be taken to ways.

The Extreme is it is Disney or it means adding rides for everyone. I like the second due to Kings Island's heart and soul is Rollercoasters. They can add some gentle rides and extreme rides just do it at an even pace. They also need to upgrade entertainment please do not have shows where the singing is lip syncing. Original talent and roving entertainment is fun and helps the overall image of the park.

While we are dreaming:

1) I would like Coney Mall to add several nostalgic flat rides that would return that area to the feel of the old Coney Island. I know that flat rides are low capacity, but they do add flavor to a park and often still do not have the lines of the coasters. I would love to see some kind of whip, spinning tea cups, flying scooters (bring em back!) and a ferris wheel that together would return the feel of the old Coney to the area. (I know there could never be another Coney Island, but it would be nice to see such flats there...)

2) Separate out the area of Coney that has Flight of Fear and Firehawk and give it a theme more in character with those rides.

3) Like others I would like to see International Street made to feel more international in character, perhaps with some kind of sidewalk cafe with seating near the fountains.

4) In a few years, I would like to see a B&M hyper added, most likely in either the new area with Firehawk or in the Action Zone. Since Kings Island is a little more family friendly than CP, it seems to make sense to add that, since those B&M hypers do not go upside down and yet are really fun and can have incredible airtime like Goliath at SFOG. As Kennywood found out when they changed Steel Phantom to Phantom's Revenge, you can get more people to ride a coaster with no inversions, and still have something that is really thrilling. It also makes sense to add a B&M here because Cedar Fair always seems to save the big Intamins for Cedar Point...

5) Add back the antique cars somewhere, as well as other attractions to give people who are not into thrill rides more to do at the park. Of course, I would love to change the train so that is went all the way around the park. (That of course would cost a fortune and would never happen, but we are just dreaming big here!)

6) Return landscaping to the way the park looked in the old days. :)

They could add a Skyride that instead of going just one way back in forth be shaped as a triangle. One stop kids area, another stop in Action Zone and another in area between Vortex and Beast. That way the accident they had could never be possible again due to them never being close to another gondola or whatever it is called. It adds a ride to three areas all at one time. This is an idea since Train cost would be very cost prohibited.

2 attractions I think KI needs and these are for the older members of the family demographic. SkyRide and Giant Ferris Wheel. I personaly think KI has a great collection of family friendly rides but they need a few things that give the grandma and grandpa to be in my family something to do while Im ridding all the kiddie rides with the young one on the way. Plus who doesn't remember that first Ferris Wheel ride with your Grandpa? I know I do and thats something that was and is really special to me.

2 attractions I think KI needs and these are for the older members of the family demographic. SkyRide and Giant Ferris Wheel. I personaly think KI has a great collection of family friendly rides but they need a few things that give the grandma and grandpa to be in my family something to do while Im ridding all the kiddie rides with the young one on the way. Plus who doesn't remember that first Ferris Wheel ride with your Grandpa? I know I do and thats something that was and is really special to me.

LOL

Well ya know, we were all shocked when the Ferris Wheel was installed and then equally shocked when it was removed.

I really like the ideas that have been posted here. Clearly, a lot of deep thinkers frequent this forum. I especially agree with all the attention to detail regarding landscaping, beautification, all the little details that people have put forth.

For me, I'll echo all those posts, and also add this suggestion: Cedar Fair needs to start adding some high capacity rides. With 3 million guests a year, the park is surprisingly short on attractions with big throughput, to chew up all those lines and get folks on to their next ride.

My guess is, CF will strip everything Paramount reference from the theming over the next two years, and that will pretty much be that, at least for some years. They don't even do a very good job respecting the theming at their flagship park, so I doubt we'll see much improvement at KI. And their track record at Geauga Lake suggest a, how should we describe it, a minimalist perspective.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really not 'dissing' CF. I'm merely recognizing their strengths and weaknesses for what they are.

Now for what I would do? Hmmm. Well, that would be pretty crazy, as I have a heck of an imagination. But what do I think CF will do? That's an easier prognostication.

2007: phase one Paramount theming removal. Installation of X-, ahem, Firehawk. Improvements at future FOF midway, including new restrooms, concession stand, game stalls. SOB up and at 'em.

2008: phase two Paramount theming removal. Install 1 or 2 flat rides in Rivertown. Retheme TRTR with a Rivertown-appropriate connection. Maybe call it Riverghost, or some such.

2009: addition of new kids area, adjacent to new FOF midway past Racer. Possibly Peanuts themed, if they keep the licensing. Perhaps anchor with a spinning mouse.

2010: new B&M inverted, or Intamin hyper, beyond Vortex. Will definitely be launched. How about a bigger version of Maverick?

2011: significant revamping of Action Zone. Retire Face/Off (maybe sent to MiA). Design better layout of area, including landscaping, pedestrian walkways. Introduce a new flat in Face/Off's space.

2012: new GCII wooden coaster, between Hannah-Barbera Land (excuse me, Nickolodeon Whatever) and Boomerang Bay.

I'm guessing KI will get put on a schedule of a new attraction three out of every four years, with a major coaster going in every two to four years. It probably won't be as much as we enthusiasts would like to see, but the huge building boom of the 1990s is over. Amusement parks are a mature industry, and rides will be distributed to parks with an eye on holding onto existing attendance figures.

2007-Reopen SOB and Firehawk, improve look of park with more landscaping and repainting.

2008-Water park attraction added-New tube slides

2009-Reopen campground

2010-Hyper coaster added

2011-General improvements to park- add more shows, add more sit down restraunts with good food not all fast food.