A Five Year Plan You Decide

westcoasterman

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kwindshawne
KI Glamorous? Surely you kid....

Of all the adjectives, that is probably the last one I would have ever come up with...

Hmmmm-how about "hollywood"? Maybe that is the better word-I see lots of similarities-but maybe that was the feel Paramount was getting at....

With Cedar Fair owning three major amusement parks in the state of Ohio, I think you have a ready-made major and strong opponent to year round schools. They will fight this proposal with every inch of their being...

Evidently year-round school has come to Ohio and right in the back yard of Kings Islands.

From the Cincinnati Enquire; http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2002/08/0...und_school.html

Word of mouth is a powerful thing!

True but I would have never dreamed that halfway through kindergarten that my daughter would be reading and writing. Also taking field trips to the local collage to have lunch with some students and a tour of the campus, including dorms.

Keep in mind, year round schools go the same amount of days as the old antiquated schools do they just spread out more days and weeks off during the school year. So as far as days in the classroom they are the same.

I'm partial to the 2 n' a half month break myself. There has also been talk of extending the school day by an hour or so, then taking friday off. I just don't see that working out, as for I'm almost dead during my last class of the day.

I also believe that large amounts of homework can lead to kids becoming obese, due to taking up the kids time for outside play. Sad theory yes, but hey, it could be true.

I’ll make this my last post on this subject in this thread, I promise!

Fear of the unknown and a change from the routine is one of our societies down falls. I will admit I was resistant to the change until I had all the true facts before me. A couple real quick notes before getting to the point as it relates to the thread. My daughters school does go an half hour longer than the kids do across the street. The difference is that our school touts that they will rarely send home homework home so that the students can spend quality time with their families while they are home. My daughter regularly waits for the neighbors kids to get their homework done before they can play. As someone who has went through and sent one child all the way through the old antiquated way and now sending one through the new way. I can only tell you parents who really want what’s best for your children please inform yourself on the true facts because in my house I will pick a better overall education for my daughter vs. her getting 20 more continuous days in the summer instead having those days and weeks spread out through the year. I have done both and hands down the year-round is best for us and evidently for other caring parents. Also those parents who have visitation during the summer now get to have them spread-out through the year instead of the 11 weeks of summer.

I know when parents are given the choice between the old 1800-1900 system and the new 20th century life style that fits better with 2 working/single parent and a better education for their children for no more days imposed on their children. They will chose the new way just like all the other parents have done when given the choice. We spent many days at Kings Island during the summer and were able to spend some great time in the fall with a trip to Disney last fall during my daughters almost 3 week Fall Break. That family trip would have never happened if she was going to a regular school. She also gets a 3 week spring break. Just think about all that great family time spread out thrugh the year. As a parent I’m glad I don’t haft to cram all my special family time in a 11 week summer, as i once had too.

This relates to this thread because; I hope that Cedar Fair does not turn a blind eye to this matter and gets caught off guard. Yes it will take 10-12 more years to take hold in Ohio but after that it will go quick and the ones who embrace the change with a plan now will come out smelling like a rose and will be the trend setter for the industry. I believe this is win, win for everybody once we get past our comfort zone of doing things the same way that our grandfathers did.

After all it was our grand fathers who said “change is constant and a sure fire way to failure is by becoming stagnateâ€Â.

Well, hells bells...I went to Miamisburg City Schools and we had..and still do...a Fall Break that lasts a whole weak, a Winter break that lasts 2 weeks, and a Spring break around Easter that lasts one week. We go to Disney and Universal and Busch Gardens every year at least once and take the whole week, then we spend our spring Break either doing the same thing again or we go spend a week in Gatlinburg, or a weak touring the East Coast. Sometimes we even flip flop this schedule. Your school system Avatar, must have given no Fall Break and Spring Break, we only receive a week but my parents schedule their vacations around this time, and we go on many vacations as a family with absolutely no problems. And Occasionally we will also go do things over the summer. Now Miamisburg does take a couple of weeks out of the traditional summer to provide these extra weeks.

We have been denoted a Blue Ribbon School system of excellence for a long while now, and it seems that we have struck the near perfect balance between your year-round schooling and as you call it the "1800-1900 old antiquated way"! I will stick with our tradition here! Oh and BTW, they tacked on an hour to our day a few years back to cutdown on homework, and it barely even worked for one year and we ended up with more homework.

Life is harmony...a perfect balance will be struck by all objects in life to maintain a level of stability, and life my friend will always find a way!

Well, hells bells...I went to Miamisburg City Schools and we had..and still do...a Fall Break that lasts a whole weak, a Winter break that lasts 2 weeks, and a Spring break around Easter that lasts one week. We go to Disney and Universal and Busch Gardens every year at least once and take the whole week, then we spend our spring Break either doing the same thing again or we go spend a week in Gatlinburg, or a weak touring the East Coast. Sometimes we even flip flop this schedule. Your school system Avatar, must have given no Fall Break and Spring Break, we only receive a week but my parents schedule their vacations around this time, and we go on many vacations as a family with absolutely no problems. And Occasionally we will also go do things over the summer. Now Miamisburg does take a couple of weeks out of the traditional summer to provide these extra weeks.

We have been denoted a Blue Ribbon School system of excellence for a long while now, and it seems that we have struck the near perfect balance between your year-round schooling and as you call it the "1800-1900 old antiquated way"! I will stick with our tradition here! Oh and BTW, they tacked on an hour to our day a few years back to cutdown on homework, and it barely even worked for one year and we ended up with more homework.

Life is harmony...a perfect balance will be struck by all objects in life to maintain a level of stability, and life my friend will always find a way!

GO MIAMISBURG :P

In response.

Woofer; thanks for chiming your response is the reason I brought this subject back up, so that members will try to also include a major societal change when projecting the future plans of the park.

Cory I think it is wonderful that we have place that we can share exchange and debate our opinions in such a respectful way. That’s what I love about this board!

You are so correct that your school is doing just great running on that old antiquated school calendar, but after checking your schools calendar online, I found they are closer to what the year-round schools are doing now. so not sure your school falls in the old the old catagorie. By the way is Jersey Week as bad and crowded as they say on the Disney boards?

I would like to break down all the positives that your school is doing great at, and the reason why they should not consider a possible better way.

1 a Fall Break that lasts a whole weak, a Winter break that lasts 2 weeks

Miamisburg does take a couple of weeks out of the traditional summer to provide these extra weeks.

2 We have been denoted a Blue Ribbon School system of excellence for a long while now, and it seems that we have struck the near perfect balance between your year-round schooling

I will stick with our tradition here

3 Life is harmony...a perfect balance will be struck by all objects in life to maintain a level of stability, and life my friend will always find a way!

So since this is a Kings Island board I will use a recent change to Kings Island that had both descent and proponents for the change.

Nickelodeon Central

It offered families a nice ride selection and old beloved HanaBarbara Characters. In fact they where winning national high standards and received prestige’s awards for it. Some argued that they did not need to change because they some how found the perfect harmony of using the best of both worlds (past and present). But as we all know to maintain that high standard of excellence, one must always strive to achieve excellence even if they need to make a drastic change from their past success. Otherwise that would be there first failure.

So now we have Nickelodeon Universe. The area reflects a growing trend of families doing more together and going with a new image of characters that the 20th century kids more identify with. Having been a child and having one child visit the old way and now doing more with one child with the new area I can say it was great the old way but I really enjoy the new area so much better.

Cory; I am in no way trying to say what any school does is bad and antiquated but following a school calendar that was meant to suit the lives of the 1800 and early 1900 is. They new school calendar is already here and we were all skeptical too, but after getting true facts and seeing all the benefits it is a wonderful change for everybody and I do mean everyone. There is so many societal reasons for it and that’s not the reason why I brought this issue up again. Its because as woofer said “It's not a matter of if schools will go year round but really when.’ That is a true statement and I hoping that the seasonal parks are looking down the road and factoring this in with their future plans.

I just remember “be careful for what you wish for, you just might get it.†so make informed decisions and not one based off of nostalgia and feelings.

Good luck with you studies at UD and take care you get the last word.

Going to point this out see how it goes over. Just because year round school is going well for you doens't mean it works for every district, and the new studies that show it being good can be equally as bias as the ones against it. They could just study schools that it does work for and what not.

This is not about how this is works for me or anyone else, trust me I said the same things that you all are saying now. So I truly understand what you all are saying in fact if we were in opposite shoes I would be saying the same thing, as I have previously. This whole thing is about what’s best for the current society kids eating, child care, education overcrowding, education retintion, single parent/two family jobs, the list goes on and on and on. I agree with you guys, but it is what is coming and is what politicians, school boards, educators, corrections officers, divorce court judges, parents, teachers, social workers and the list goes on, all agree on and think that is best going forward.

So what I’m saying it doesn’t matter if I like/dislike or you are anybody else likes/dislikes. It is a new school schedule that works the best for every aspect in the 21st century. I’m not advocating that it should go to every district, but one who has watched this schedule sweeping across the nation and seeing how those communities are begging for it and the politicians campaigning with it. I have come to the conclusion that this is only a matter of time before it is more of the norm than not. Trust me I am not an advocate about this program just someone who tends to be a realist as it comes to some social issues. I was just wondering if the park is factoring the many, many students who are already in this schedule now and how will they addressing this issue looking into the future.

There have been some folks on here who interview park officials about up and coming coasters and changes in the industry. I think this would be a great angle to see if the Amusement/Theme parks are planning with this in mind.

Again guys quilt looking at this as what one likes or dislikes but on that is a social issue that if it has not came to your city yet it will be soon.

If you don't like it and you fight it with others and can convence the coomunity as a whole not to do it great!!! I'm happy for you guys, really!

In response.

Woofer; thanks for chiming your response is the reason I brought this subject back up, so that members will try to also include a major societal change when projecting the future plans of the park.

Cory I think it is wonderful that we have place that we can share exchange and debate our opinions in such a respectful way. That’s what I love about this board!

You are so correct that your school is doing just great running on that old antiquated school calendar, but after checking your schools calendar online, I found they are closer to what the year-round schools are doing now. so not sure your school falls in the old the old catagorie. By the way is Jersey Week as bad and crowded as they say on the Disney boards?

I would like to break down all the positives that your school is doing great at, and the reason why they should not consider a possible better way.

1 a Fall Break that lasts a whole weak, a Winter break that lasts 2 weeks

Miamisburg does take a couple of weeks out of the traditional summer to provide these extra weeks.

2 We have been denoted a Blue Ribbon School system of excellence for a long while now, and it seems that we have struck the near perfect balance between your year-round schooling

I will stick with our tradition here

3 Life is harmony...a perfect balance will be struck by all objects in life to maintain a level of stability, and life my friend will always find a way!

So since this is a Kings Island board I will use a recent change to Kings Island that had both descent and proponents for the change.

Nickelodeon Central

It offered families a nice ride selection and old beloved HanaBarbara Characters. In fact they where winning national high standards and received prestige’s awards for it. Some argued that they did not need to change because they some how found the perfect harmony of using the best of both worlds (past and present). But as we all know to maintain that high standard of excellence, one must always strive to achieve excellence even if they need to make a drastic change from their past success. Otherwise that would be there first failure.

So now we have Nickelodeon Universe. The area reflects a growing trend of families doing more together and going with a new image of characters that the 20th century kids more identify with. Having been a child and having one child visit the old way and now doing more with one child with the new area I can say it was great the old way but I really enjoy the new area so much better.

Cory; I am in no way trying to say what any school does is bad and antiquated but following a school calendar that was meant to suit the lives of the 1800 and early 1900 is. They new school calendar is already here and we were all skeptical too, but after getting true facts and seeing all the benefits it is a wonderful change for everybody and I do mean everyone. There is so many societal reasons for it and that’s not the reason why I brought this issue up again. Its because as woofer said “It's not a matter of if schools will go year round but really when.’ That is a true statement and I hoping that the seasonal parks are looking down the road and factoring this in with their future plans.

I just remember “be careful for what you wish for, you just might get it.†so make informed decisions and not one based off of nostalgia and feelings.

Good luck with you studies at UD and take care you get the last word.

Thank you for your well wishes Avatar!

You state that you looked up the calendar of Miamisburg City Schools online and said, "but after checking your schools calendar online, I found they are closer to what the year-round schools are doing now. so not sure your school falls in the old the old catagorie"

-Are you saying here that our calendar is close to that of year round schooling? If that is the case than year-round schooling sounds quite similar to what we use here, and I like our system very much, as long as there is at least a month off during the summer!

"By the way is Jersey Week as bad and crowded as they say on the Disney boards?"

- I am not to sure what Jersey Week is, however when we go which is during close to the dates of which you saw on the website for MCS...We have no problems whatsoever at the parks, quite frankly most of the parks are rather roomy! The only time we have ever had an extraordinary wait time at Disney was this year during my Fall break..which I skipped classes at UD to go with my family on my younger sister's schedule...was the wait to get back to Fantasmic one night. Other than that...I have almost never experienced a bad, long, or packed week at Disney! I highly suggest some of you go around these times!

You state, "Cory; I am in no way trying to say what any school does is bad and antiquated but following a school calendar that was meant to suit the lives of the 1800 and early 1900 is."

-You stated previously that we run a schedule very similar to yours! if this is the case our debate is not opposing each other but rather informing the members of the greatness of the schedule...since I for one love our current schedule...If our schedules are nearly identical than I have little problem taking just one more week out of our summer or possibly two to throw back into the year!

You state, "I would like to break down all the positives that your school is doing great at, and the reason why they should not consider a possible better way."

-Oh so we do not need to consider a better way? I am in complete agreement with you on this point!

Also in regards to Nickelodian Central becoming a part of KI and everything becoming Nick Universe....I am in complete agreement! This was a change needed to sustain that balance of life of which I stated!

"Cory I think it is wonderful that we have place that we can share exchange and debate our opinions in such a respectful way. That’s what I love about this board!"

-Again, we are in complete agreement! I love the healthy debate we have on this board, it is intellectually stimulating :) ! I cant wait to get on UD's debate team by the way! Think I'll do well?

Avatar, I am greatly enjoying your company on this board! The floor is yours!.......

Thank-you Cory;

I think at this point members have a good idea of the issue at hand and can decide to inform themselves more in other venues if they would like. So at risk of losing the rest of the members, I think we shall stop here and find another topic to debate on.

In complete agreement of “greatly enjoying your company on this board!â€Â

Your friend……..Avatar

I don't want to belittle the topic at hand. It is important, and I truly do respect everyones opinion. Education is a powerful thing. And the most efficient way to educate children on average should be taken into account. After all, a good education is the only way to ensure today's childrens success in a highly competitive global, educationally armed world.

m.f.

but, can we get back to the 5 year plan topic....please.

2008- Add a new flat ride in conney mall, october fest and rivertown.

2009- New coaster( something new that has never be done before.)

repaint things that need it

2010-retrack some of the wooden coasters.

upgrade the water park

another family ride

2011 - add a new big thrill ride across from Vortex.

New restaurant

2012- new wooden coaster

update children area