End of Geauga Lake ride section

Guest faceoff

Guest faceoff

With moving x-flight to Kings Island and the rumored removal of steel venom-How many people

think this is the start of the end of the ride park? What does everyone think? :(

Cedar Fair has said that they are giong to try to make GL a more family oriented park. They have also said that the fact having two roller coasters in the front of the park doesn't make it look like a family oriented park. I think that they are removing the two coasters to make it look more inviting, and make more room for family stuff. I'll try to find where I read this stuff and I'll give a link when I do.

The press release you are looking for can be found as the first post in this thread:

http://www.pkicentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9030

And you artfully put bad news in the best terms you can. Cozy and more intimate....means smaller. As another (I believe it was jzarley) said here recently, they could have just as easily said the piddly numbers of you who choose to attend our park do not allow us enough income to support the current infrastructure...

I don't think this is the end of the rides side. I think this is just an attempt at lowering the cost of the park to something in line with its attendance. I can't think of any parks with an attendance of only 750,000 that has 10 coasters. Even with the loss of X-Flight and Steel Venom it still has 8 coasters. Back in 1999 before Six Flags built 5 coasters in 2 years (4 in a single season) the park only had 5 coasters total. Kings Island has an attendance of 3.2 million and only has 13 coasters only 3 more then what Geauga Lake had which has less then a quarter of the attendance.

Back when Cedar Fair purchased the Paramount parks they released figures on the annual revenue of their parks. Geauga Lake was the second lowest at $26 million (not profits total it brings in) only Michigan's Adventure brings in less. Heres the number of coasters and the revenue of all the Cedar Fair parks as of 2005 (since the revenue data was from 2005 this should be the number of coasters from 2005 a few have gained a coaster since then or are building one right now). NOTE: Please don't question the revenue its the total of all attractions in the parks area which includes hotels and separate admission water parks which is why Cedar Points and Knotts are so high (Knotts has 3 water parks)

Cedar Point - $210 million (16)

Knotts - $186 million (7)

Dorney - $56 million (8)

Valley Fair - $36 million (7)

Worlds of Fun - $35 million (5)

Geauga Lake - $26 million (10)

Michigan's Adventure - $19 million (6)

Looking at that list how does it make any sense at all that Geauga Lake has 10 coasters? They have more coasters then parks which make twice as much money or more. Plus the coasters which are being removed are VERY expensive to operate. I really think the park should only have 6 or 7 coasters total its attendance and revenue really are too low to support any more than that.

If they are trying to make the park more family orentated in my opion they should move IJ:ST and Replace it with Steel Venom. Dont get me wrong i like IJ but i think moving to a park trying go to more family rides it would be a great idea and i would like to see Kings Island get more trills

If they are trying to make the park more family orentated in my opion they should move IJ:ST and Replace it with Steel Venom. Dont get me wrong i like IJ but i think moving to a park trying go to more family rides it would be a great idea and i would like to see Kings Island get more trills

We don't want IJ:ST. Their going to redevelop the main entrance and hopefully add some more flats to the 50's Midway. The park is not going to close or end. If it brings in a profit, why kill it.

^Uh wheres your proof that it is, the park isnt even open for the season yet, so how can you tell if its going to bring in a profit? And just which park brings in the lowest profit? I'd love to hear where you got the information. If you listen to the latest Cedar Fair stock holder conference call, Kinzel stated how they STILL werent done cutting costs at Geauga Lake...that "more must be done" to justify the parks footprint. He didnt say that about any other park in the chain.

I repeat, whats your source? Even if your numbers are credible...just because it didnt bring in as much doesnt mean it performed poorly. The park obviously performed well enough for Cedar Fair to be content with it. Geauga Lake is the only one mentioned in the conference calls as their large problem. Geauga Lake is suffering the most, it is far too big for what it actually brings in, all the other parks met their goals.

As I said when I used those figures they are from 2005. Second thats revenue not profits. We can only guess at how much the park is spending but its a big park and has a lot of expenses. Michigan's Adventure is a lot smaller park with fewer coasters, cheaper to operate coasters, a smaller water park, and fewer attractions in general. Something I assume almost everyone is forgetting about is the interest on the $145 million in debt from purchasing the park, and then you have the cost of the water park, the interest from the debt of building the new water park etc. I guess I could always look at the chains fiscal statements and try to figure out what the interest rate is and then calculate just how much the interest for just GL is but what it all comes down to is that I don't see any possible way the park is making a profit.

Its amazing to think about how much Six Flags spent there and how little return of it they got back when they sold the park to Cedar Fair. Sea World was $110 million, the season they added the 4 coasters was $44 million, X-Flight was $15 million, Thunderhawk was $10 million, Head Spin would have been very cheap at $4-5 million. Thats not even counting the purchase of the park by what was then Premier parks. My best guess is that Premier/Six Flags spent around $250 million in 8 years on the park just to sell it for $145 million.

And Cedar Fair was SURE they got a heck of a bargain, given what Flags' investment in the place had been. Before it is over, it may well be that Flags got the better end of the sale to Cedar Fair. That remains to be seen. Then again, if Cedar Fair ends up selling even just the dry park land for development on a lot by lot basis, they may well come out of this smelling like a rose. I hope that doesn't happen, but I am more and more thinking that it could.