Do You Collect Park Maps?

JAHill

This is kind of irrelevant but last night i was at my Grandmothers house and i found 3 Lexmark Family Day buttons in a droor. One of them was the 1996 one with FOF on it, another one was the 1990 one with flight Commander on it, and the other one was just a regular 1998 button with a roller coaster onm it. Back to the map subject i do collect park maps i usually try to grab about 10 everytime i go. Last time i went it was the last weekend of operation and i was planning on taking a whole bunch seeing that they do not need them anymore but when i got to the front there were non ethere. I have the 30th Aniversary souvenir map and i also have about 60 other ones. I collet park maps from evrywhere i go i have about 30 from Cedar Point and most of my maps are hanging up on my wall.

pkicpframsandschool025se8.jpg

There is my 1982 map. I'll scan it once I over come riping it.

Hay TopGun1993, looking at our posters. Were did you get those frames, I have three of them and need more but don't remember the name of who made them. And I see you got a hp Photosmart 8250?

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...

During Coaster mania at Cedar Point, I brought it up to the lady in charge of marketing that Kings Island should sell the Giant poster size park maps that they sell at Cedar Point for $2.00. I told her I would pay $5- $10 Just for that. Anyone else collect park maps? Also has anyone noticed them in the gift shops yet?

• Like 2

On 2017-06-15 at 0:55 PM, Shawn Meyer said:

During Coaster mania at Cedar Point, I brought it up to the lady in charge of marketing that Kings Island should sell the Giant poster size park maps that they sell at Cedar Point for $2.00. I told her I would pay $5- $10 Just for that. Anyone else collect park maps? Also has anyone noticed them in the gift shops yet?

Wish all parks would sell these maps... Bought that $2 map and spent $75 having it mounted...

Maybe it's good if other parks don't sell the maps...

• Like 3

Not so much any more but as child I always had the current map for Six Flags Over Texas pinned to the wall in my room. I had the maps from previous years neatly put away but sadly no longer have them. Lost them during a move I think.

• Like 1

On 2017-06-15 at 9:54 PM, Shawn Meyer said:

Well this lady, I forget her name, but she handles merchandise for all of Cedar Fair. She was at the Q & A at Coaster mania.

Does anyone know how I can contact this person??? I assumed that merch was done by the individual parks, given that some parks' merch game is way, way, way better than others... I'd like to give some feedback on the subject to someone who actually might give a darn...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I actually discussed this with James Moreland (area head of merchandise and warehousing at KI) because I noticed an old map on the wall behind him during his recent video interview. (https://kingsisland.cfauthx.com/blog/2017/july/a-kings-island-life-james-moreland)

He understands the desire of us super-fans to have one, but when they have printed the poster-sized maps in the past they just didn't sell well, so there are no plans to bring any in anytime soon. He did mention the possibility of selling some for the 50th celebration. 

However, he seemed a little more excited about the idea of printing a poster-sized version of the original 1972 map. No plans for those either, at the moment, but I think it might make more financial sense for the park to try those to test interest, since they could continue to sell the stock for multiple years (unlike a current map which will change every couple years or less and be outdated). 

So the door isn't completely closed on the idea, but don't look too hard to see any in the shops this season. 

• Like 2