WCPO Kings Island webcam changed?

tycoonrebel7188

Before Paramount bought the parks in 1992, did they used to illuminate the tower at night in the off season?

Well, as far back as I can remember (c. the 1974-1975 off-season), the tower was always dark during the winter months (except, of course, for Winterfest years). All you would see were the red aircraft warning lights on the tower's trunk and mast.

That is what I thought. If this is a permanent change, it will be a nice touch for the winter months. Especially if they start using the lighting package so that the tower changes colors. The tower looks so majestic when it changes color with those new lights.

That is what I thought. If this is a permanent change, it will be a nice touch for the winter months. Especially if they start using the lighting package so that the tower changes colors. The tower looks so majestic when it changes color with those new lights.

CoastersRZ, do you mean that KI has a new lighting package in place already? That'd be cool! I remember PKI had different colored spots on the tower for the last Winterfest, and it made the tower look a lot better than with the traditional flood lights. Right now (well, at night) it looks like the tower is lit with just the old school incandescents, at least from a distance.

The tower was changing colors last year at the end of the season on non-FFest nights. I am sure it will be changing colors every night when the park is open. And the lights you are seeing on at night are NOT the new ones. The are the old floodlights. You wouldn't be able to see the color lights since they are only on the front side of the tower.

I think we should somehow ask Kings Island if we could put a PTZ camera on the tower (which would cost about $1600 *estimate*) and then 60 bucks a month for the internet connection and then charge for access to it for us members ( just to pay for the camera and bandwidth).

I would be happy to accept your money for access... and we would all be happy to pay for it huh?

Here is an example of what I am talking about at fountain square in Cinci.

Speaking of the lights on the Eiffel Tower, I just moved in down the street in December. My backyard looks at KI, and at first, the lights weren't on..then I began to see them on ...though it seemed rather randomly. Now they are on every night, and they stay on rather late.

if that is true and they do leave them on for most of the night then that is just plain SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! ... i think that would be so freaking cool i cant wait till im out of college and come back home and get to see the newness to the park im so excitied with what Cedar Fair is doing its way better for one of the best parks in the world! :P

• 1 month later...

This morning I was on www.wcpo.com to check the weather and after I was done I thought I would take a look at the "Kings Island" webcam to see if they had corrected the problem and actually made the picture of Kings Island.

But as I was reading down the page it says this, "This camera is located on the top of the 1/3 sized Eiffel Tower replica at Paramount's Kings Island."

There hasn't been a webcam, viewable by the public from on top of the Eiffel Tower in quite a few years as far as I know. So take this with a grain of salt. It may mean a new camera is coming, or it could just be a screw up on the page. Most likely the latter.

Check it out for yourself here. KI webcam