Beast's Lake

RWildman424

You must remember that CADD and computer simulations were unheard of back then. Beast was literally designed by hand, with computations by hand, and changes made in the field.

but still you would think it would at least somewhat follow the first lay out expecialy with the main parts like the helix for example and the first turn after the drop

And who helped with the writing on that napkin? John Allen, that's who. Though Al Collins and Jeff Gramke are usually credited with the design....

It ended up being that (bow) John Allen (done with bow) deinged nothing more than the brake system which, after several years of operation, had to be removed and replaced. Now it's child, though, that's a different story! ;)

And who helped with the writing on that napkin? John Allen, that's who. Though Al Collins and Jeff Gramke are usually credited with the design....

It ended up being that (bow) John Allen (done with bow) deinged nothing more than the brake system which, after several years of operation, had to be removed and replaced. Now it's child, though, that's a different story! ;)

Where do you get this information? John Allen himself said he did calculations for the dynamics of the coaster...which is NOT the braking system. I doubt John Allen even designed the braking systems on coasters like Racer at Kings Island. His work was far more complicated than that.

It was on the back of a paper menu, not a napkin, I can recite the rest of the video you'd like.

Al Collins himself showed me 2 napkins a menu and 1 full legal pad with nothing but formulas, drawings, and jokes from him, Mr. Allen, and many others who contributed to the actual design of The Beast. So yes it was a napkin thank you. Most people do not understand the scope of this project, there were engineers working for places like GE that quit there jobs to work on this project. I personally know a carpenter that quit his job of framing houses to work on the project, he now has his own company that he started after The Beast was done. That company is now one of the top builders in Florida. And if you had the chance to ask any of the designers, they would put the credit some where else.

But Paramount made an anniversary video for The Beast, and everything in it is presumed correct, even when it is not. Sigh.

Like yesterday, when I posted on another site about the trains for Dominator being in the parking lot at Kings Dominion, some young kid INSISTED on seeing a link, as if that and only that would make it true!

:)

[bow]John Allen[/bow] actually didn't do much as far as designing the actual ride as the books have shown. He simply used napkin in the International Restaurant to teach Al Collins the FORMULAS for designing a coaster. John Allen was a very old man by the time The Beast was under construction. No doubt he would have done the whole thing himself ten years prior.

It was on the back of a paper menu, not a napkin, I can recite the rest of the video you'd like.

Al Collins himself showed me 2 napkins a menu and 1 full legal pad with nothing but formulas, drawings, and jokes from him, Mr. Allen, and many others who contributed to the actual design of The Beast. So yes it was a napkin thank you. Most people do not understand the scope of this project, there were engineers working for places like GE that quit there jobs to work on this project. I personally know a carpenter that quit his job of framing houses to work on the project, he now has his own company that he started after The Beast was done. That company is now one of the top builders in Florida. And if you had the chance to ask any of the designers, they would put the credit some where else.

Relax monroe, i believe you, i was making a joke at how well I know The Beast video.

^Some times I get just a little too passionate about certain people. Also I do not recall if I have seen the video that you are talking about. Mr. Collins taught me one basic thing, do NOT go back to school for structural engineering. The man is some thing else.

On a side note Gordon Bombay, I am hoping that my daughter did not use my points again for Image shack and I can get those pictures from the gathering of mustangs in Columbus up for you and UglySteve(?). My daughter is going to bankrupt me with all of her little internet doohickeys.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else remember The Beast lake often reeking of vomit, especially in the second set of switchbacks... I don't miss that..

Yeah.

All that lovely stagnant water combined with garbage and whatever else people wanted to put in it (insert gross thought here) really was a breeding ground for some lovely smells. Especially in late July when there was no wind and high humidity.

That lake was also a breeding ground for mosquitos, which in the early 80's did not seem to be that big of a deal, but today? Whoa! I can't even imagine the West Nile Virus stories and accusations that would be put against the park.

While it was neat to see the water themeing in The Beast station, we are better off they lake was drained.