New Info On New Sob Trains!

mbpavilionfan

Won't work. It has track built for flanged wheels on PTC Junior trains.

Wait. Let me get this right, PTC Junior trains don't have underside running wheels? Are they like a side friction coaster? (I've been dreaming up my backyard coaster.)

They have underside wheels but not side wheels. A flange on the main wheel like a railroad wheel takes the place of the side wheel.

Anybody got a diagram or picture of this? And one that shows the exact measurements of PTC Junior trains?

Also, I just got a response from the company that owned MBP, in reguards to the trains.

No, but there are a variety of coasters located there and I assume they would put them into use there.

Sent from my GoodLink synchronized handheld (www.good.com)

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 09:17 PM Eastern Standard Time

To: Dowling, Pat

Subject: Re: MB Pavillion question

Do you know why they purchased these trains? As in, what coaster are they

going on? Or are they taking them to Kings Island to refurbish them for

other uses?

Can the G-trains fit the SOB track gauge? If not KI is going to have to make some changes so the trains can. It would not be that hard to take parts from a G-train to build a G2 train.

It was already said that Kings Island would have to modify the 'G' trains so they can fit on the SOB track gauge.

SOB has had such bad press KI would do well to purchase the best trains possible giving the most comfortable ride. Anything less will hurt the credibility of the ride. If the new trains are just as rough as before, even if they are lighter, with insufficient padding, the guests will still look on SOB as a bad experience. However, I see the aforementioned memo says that the trains "may be" going to Kings Island and is not written as fact. Perhaps they were bought for spare parts for Villain or Raging Wolf Bobs. That would place the trains being shipped to Ohio.

As for the possibility of the new trains being used as a replacement for Beast or Racer, it does not seem likely. as PTC trains are proven for reliability. Even the Riverside Cyclone replaced their Morgan trains with PTC's.

To play devil's advocate, if PTC could not refit their trains to the SOB guage, and Gerstlauer could, then maybe that would force such a decision.

In any event, I am sure there are reasons behind the scenes none of us are aware of. Hopefully, cost is no object and the comfort and safety of the rider is, pardon the expression, paramount.

The Riverside Cyclone opened with PTC trains. They were rather quickly replaced with the Morgans, due to comfort issues on that then vicious coaster. . . After the PTC's reappeared, the coaster was then rather quickly reprofiled, raising the first drop and greatly decreasing the angle of descent. The years it operated with the PTC's, that was my number one wooden coaster, by far.

Guest kwindshawne
I highly doubt that they will go on at least The Beast. Those trains are perfectly fine, and I honestly don't see how they could edit the trains to make a better ride... it's as smooth as glass, especially for it's age

Did you really just say that The Beast is smooth as glass? It has its moments, but it is regarded as great ride that is unforgiving to some who ride it!

I noticed a big change in beast after the month of september. When they redid some of the track in the helix, it really improved it. Compared to other woodies, this one is great-and most coasters bother me to some degree, but beast doesn't. I can't say it enough-it is an absolute gem.

I highly doubt that they will go on at least The Beast. Those trains are perfectly fine, and I honestly don't see how they could edit the trains to make a better ride... it's as smooth as glass, especially for it's age

Did you really just say that The Beast is smooth as glass? It has its moments, but it is regarded as great ride that is unforgiving to some who ride it!

I noticed a big change in beast after the month of september. When they redid some of the track in the helix, it really improved it. Compared to other woodies, this one is great-and most coasters bother me to some degree, but beast doesn't. I can't say it enough-it is an absolute gem.

Yes, It is a gem it is my favorite wooden coaster. You're right that it got better in September....But I found that the ride operated great the first few months and then got sloppy. Then new wood appeared in the helix (around September) and the ride became smoothe again! However, once the chilly nights of Fear Fest rolled around in October, all bets were off and The Beast went from as smooth as glass, to bits of broken glass! Come night time, she was as rough as 80 grit :unsure:

They retracked it in September? Thats good news. If anywhere, it needed it the most. The next place that needs retracked (not saying it needs it, but within the next 10 years, hopefully it will be redone), is the last turn before the second hill.

You know Gtrains are better than the current Ptrains. Anyone else notice that 2007 is the year Kings Island got the P out. More ways than one. Say goodbye to Paramount and to Premier Trains on SoB. I think I see the advertising slogan for 07

The Riverside Cyclone opened with PTC trains. They were rather quickly replaced with the Morgans, due to comfort issues on that then vicious coaster. . . After the PTC's reappeared, the coaster was then rather quickly reprofiled, raising the first drop and greatly decreasing the angle of descent. The years it operated with the PTC's, that was my number one wooden coaster, by far.

Thanks for reminding me that they did have original PTC trains. I had forgotten.

If this is true and if the trains are only modified to be able to run on the track, then I won't be riding. I don't mind the G trains on Twisted Twins because it's a small sized ride and they are ideal for it. The trains are too small and cramped for me to ever consider getting in for Son of Beast.

I think Im gonna jump on this forums bandwagon...I too am done with SoB!

Haha, im jk, Im gonna try it and if it bangs my head around like it did than i know that I have my beloved SoB back! And if I do, I will still probably ride it, but if it isnt i wont!

I know exactly what those trains are for. I heard it straight from the horse's mouth. Not everything needs to be so "hush hush" in this industry.. there are some things that really don't matter. So I'm dying to know why Maureen hasn't just said " Th*s* t***ns *re f*r **B."

But think about it..

1.)What ride needs new trains?

2.) What ride are they dying to open?

3.) What ride did PTC tell KI they couldn't design trains for "IN TIME". (in time? as in.. soon?)

Man oh Man.

I know exactly what those trains are for. I heard it straight from the horse's mouth. Not everything needs to be so "hush hush" in this industry.. there are some things that really don't matter. So I'm dying to know why Maureen hasn't just said " Th*s* t***ns *re f*r **B."

But think about it..

1.)What ride needs new trains?

2.) What ride are they dying to open?

3.) What ride did PTC tell KI they couldn't design trains for "IN TIME". (in time? as in.. soon?)

Man oh Man.

point made but still, i we will have to see cause they would have to do a decent amount of work to get those trains working properly on the sob

I don't think SOB is a waste, it was a good concept gone wrong. Maybe if they took their time and done it right the first time things may be different today. Son of Beast was glass smooth on my first ride back in April of 2000. They knew back then those trains were too heavy, they had to shut the ride down for track work after the ride ran 1 day. I've been saying all along those trains were bad. I think if they want to get SOB back in good standing with the public and coaster fans they should take there time and do it right.

no i dont believe that will happen i think they will keep the same name because thats what they started with in the first place and the fact that the two coasters aka (beast and Son of Beast) hold all the wooden roller coaster records i dont see a need in changing the name. all they need to do is redo a couple of things on the track and make the trains fight the track better and the coaster will be fine. it may take a year or 2 but it would be worth it in my opinion

Less weight you answered your own question, they knew those trains were too heavy. I don't know if it actually speed up the ride or not anyone know? But it could be a possibility that it did go faster, but probably not much.