New Info On New Sob Trains!

mbpavilionfan

well you would assume that if the trains where lighter they would gain speed somewhat but i couldnt tell you how much .. it just all depends on if the trains fit the track better or if they are just lighter

Lighter trains will result in the trains having LESS speed and, theoretically, less stress on the structure of the ride. That is the real reason why they are switching trains. It goes back to the old theory momentum. Momentum equals mass times velocity. A heavier train will naturally induce more forces on the structure than a lighter or empty train.

Uh, it was announced quite some time ago the loop is going.

And, in fact, it is GONE.

It was carted off to a recycling place.

Honest.

really? when was it annouced how long ago i wasent really checking the forums for a while thus why i appoligized for not being active for a while i was busy with college but the new ride has got me excitied again .. when did they take it out?

Here's the press release:

December 13, 2006

Son of Beast Inspection Complete

Kings Island, Ohio – The State of Ohio's Department of Agriculture released today its final report detailing the outcome of the extensive Son of Beast inspection. The report reaffirms initial indications that the incident was an unforeseen single event failure.

Kings Island will now focus its energies on the appropriate and necessary changes needed to reopen the ride in 2007. In addition to reinforcing the physical structure of the ride, the Park plans to remove the loop. Taking this extra step enables the use of lighter trains, which will reduce the load and lead to a more comfortable ride experience.

The Park is making good progress on Son of Beast and is fully committed to reopening the ride in 2007.

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: "FUN") is a publicly traded partnership headquartered in Sandusky, Ohio. The Partnership, which owns and operates twelve amusement parks, five outdoor water parks, one indoor water park and six hotels, is one of the largest regional amusement park operators in the world. Its parks are located in Ohio, California, Toronto, North Carolina, Virginia / District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Missouri and Michigan.

###

According to physics, lighter trains would go slower because though the acceleration of gravity is always 9.81m/s^2, the FORCE of gravity, according to newtons second law (F=MA), is the acceleration due to gravity times the trains mass. The greater the mass, the greater the force. The greater the force, less forces like resistance, drag, and friction are going to affect the movement of the trian. Now knowing that those are the main forces that slow the trains down, if these forces have less effect on the train (heavier train), the train will reach and maintain higher speeds.

Man its times like this that I really wish I would have been able to patent gravity.

(^refrence to comment made in magnetic breaks patent lawsuite topic^

well I hope that they have enough room to bank it at the angle that it needs to go the one way and then switchback the other to meet with the track!

For instance if an unbanked s-shaped piece of track only takes 140 feet of space, I would imagine that a banked piece would take another 50 feet or so to get into the bank, turn, get out of the bank, get back into the bank and turn the other way, and then unbank again to match with the unbanked track ahead. I certainly hope that they execute this right and this area doesnt turn out to be a rib-breaker like the wildcat's of old....some of you older gentlemen know what unbanked turns were like on most coasters named "Wildcat".

Speaking of such, were any of our members here ever privaledged to ride the Wildcat at Idora or the one in Dayton, Ohio many years ago? I have been told the forces on those coasters were tremendous...laterally speaking!

According to physics, lighter trains would go slower because though the acceleration of gravity is always 9.81m/s^2, the FORCE of gravity, according to newtons second law (F=MA), is the acceleration due to gravity times the trains mass. The greater the mass, the greater the force. The greater the force, less forces like resistance, drag, and friction are going to affect the movement of the trian. Now knowing that those are the main forces that slow the trains down, if these forces have less effect on the train (heavier train), the train will reach and maintain higher speeds.

Man its times like this that I really wish I would have been able to patent gravity.

(^refrence to comment made in magnetic breaks patent lawsuite topic^

I agree that if the trains are heavier, they move faster, but if the trains are moving faster (with more force), won't the friction between the wheels and the track, and the air resistance be greater on a faster train than on a lighter(slower) train. Just a point to ponder, and possibly chat about.

While their may be more air resistance on a train that is moving faster, the result causing the train to slow will be minimal compared to the increased speed and momentum of the train. Because heavier trains have more force and momentum, friction is less of an issue for heavier trains and slowing them down. Just look at the mass of a semi compared to that of a compact car. Obviously, a semi has more mass and needs a greater amount of friction to slow it down compared to the compact car. (Which is why the semis always seem to "win" in accidents). So, to answer your question, no heavier trains will not increase the friction experienced by the trains. In fact, there would need to be more friction added to realize the same frictional force of the lighter train, ie compact car.

OK...i know what your talking about with the semi example, my sister was in an accident involving a small car, falling asleep, and the back of a semi. Everyones fine, I just thought it was funny that you should mention that. I don't think the guy driving the semi even knew that anything happened.