New Info On New Sob Trains!

mbpavilionfan

Not that I know about. The park is still hoping to have the ride opened at some point in the 2007 season. But an exact date has not been pin pointed. There are a lot of factors that will likely play into the decision of when (and possibly if) to reopen the ride this season.

I love the SOB too. Sure it's a little rough, but for an amazing coaster, I'm willing to give up a little.

So, there still is no official word on the exact trains? We all know their G trains, but nothing else?

I love the SOB too. Sure it's a little rough, but for an amazing coaster, I'm willing to give up a little.

So, there still is no official word on the exact trains? We all know their G trains, but nothing else?

What are G trains.

G stands for Gerstlauer. These are the same trains that run on Twisted Twins at SFKK or Villain at Geauga Lake. I actually don't mind the trains too much. Their biggest downfall, much like the former rolling stock on Son of Beast, is the lack of padding! It'd be fabulous if these trains had padding similiar to that found on a Millennium Flyer train. Soft and cushy.

- Todd

• Like 1

G stands for Gerstlauer. These are the same trains that run on Twisted Twins at SFKK or Villain at Geauga Lake. I actually don't mind the trains too much. Their biggest downfall, much like the former rolling stock on Son of Beast, is the lack of padding! It'd be fabulous if these trains had padding similiar to that found on a Millennium Flyer train. Soft and cushy.

- Todd

The new G2 trains do look a lot like the Millennium Flyer trains. I don't think it would be to hard to add more padding on to a set of trains.

I would hate to see what a lot of you would have said back in the day about The Beast with no padding. If you sat in the back you came off hurting. The only padding was found on the buzz bar.

Here is some information about Son of Beast from an interview from Dick Kinzel.

Q: Kings Island had the well-publicized problem last year when more than two dozen people were injured on the Son of Beast. Has that ride reopened?

A: No, it hasn’t reopened.

That happened 10 days after the acquisition. It will reopen this summer, hopefully by Memorial Day. The loop has been taken out of it. It was the only wooden coaster that had a loop.

It’ll probably be a slower ride and a series of brakes have been put on it. New trains have been put on it. When it opens, we’re going to be sure it will be safe.

source: http://www.cleveland.com/plaindealer/stori...&thispage=1

I think when they get SOB going it will be a safer ride but not much smoother than it was. I don't see where they are doing anything to make it smoother. The work that they are doing is to keep the supports from failing again. There are places that was rough that they are not working on.

I would bet with less weight in the trains the ride will be worse in some parts of it.

- Todd

The new G2 trains do look a lot like the Millennium Flyer trains. I don't think it would be to hard to add more padding on to a set of trains.

I would hate to see what a lot of you would have said back in the day about The Beast with no padding. If you sat in the back you came off hurting. The only padding was found on the buzz bar.

I have ridden PTCs that date farther back than those that currently run on Beast. Definitely not as much padding, but its still a hell of a lot better than that found on Son of Beast and the Gerstlauer trains, IMHO. The new G2 trains do look very similiar to Millennium Flyers. Also, I've heard a lot of positive comments about the Vekoma wood coaster trains that are out there in operation. Go figure!

- Todd

There is padding and there is padding. The padding found on PTC's running in Ohio (and Georgia) is high density foam. Virtually rock hard (and vandal proof). In the olden days the padding used to be, and in some other states still is, velvety soft cotton batting, usually covered by genuine leather.

I will never forget my first encounter with Gerstlauer trains, along with another member of this board, at the headquarters of CCI over in West Chester. Denise Dinn Larrick, as was her name then, bragged about the padding. We were not allowed to touch the trains, if I recall. If that woman thought that was a lot of padding (the trains ended up on what was then called Twisted Sisters at Kentucky Kingdom), she was truly even more tetched than I had thought. Actually, I think she was engaging in what is commonly known as puffery.

I would like to see some high quality 2-3 inch thick memory foam padding on a roller coaster car...wow, that would be awesome. Put some of it on Racer's cars! (I hurt my back for the second time on Racer on Sunday, lol) I need to quit sitting in the very back, Im just light enough and tall enough for the perfect combination of my flying forward, and then SLAMMING back into the back and butt of the seat...OUCH! On any given ride, I fly completely forward and then slam back into the seat extremely hard about 8 times. This of course is compared to 4 times on the Georgia Cyclone which was (until Sunday) my worst coaster ever ridden! These happen to be the only two coasters that I have ever thought to be even close to rough!

There is padding and there is padding. The padding found on PTC's running in Ohio (and Georgia) is high density foam. Virtually rock hard (and vandal proof). In the olden days the padding used to be, and in some other states still is, velvety soft cotton batting, usually covered by genuine leather.

Aren't the seats on the Big Dipper at GL like that?...they're really soft.

I was really depressed when I went opening weekend and every weekend after that.

Something about not hearing the SOB come off the chain at the top of the hill just makes my OCD go crazy! lol

Can't wait till it opens, whenever that will be.. But I do know I will be one of the first people in line for it!

Take care everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been on SOB for almost 2 years now. So I sort of forget what the trains looked like. Are those the old ones? I thought that they were red AND yellow. However, those sure look like the old train style.

EDIT: When I started to type this, TopGun didn't make his post.... So question answered.

• 8 years later...