Will Kings Island bring back a Campground?

AdventureExpresser

I know this topic might not be of importance to many people, but it has angered me ever since the closing of the campground. I understand that the Great Wolf Lodge was a great new addition to enhance the experience at the park, but why destroy the campground especially in an area that statistically has a very high number of campers. Cedar Point keeps improving their camping facilities because more people in this day and age are buying RV's. Even Kings Dominion and Carowinds kept their campgrounds and are very good ones at that. One of the reasons I bought an RV was so I could spend many, many days right next to Kings Island, and I know I wasn't the only upset Kings Island fan over this, I have many friends and family members who own campers that would take their whole families there for extended days of fun, and they could let their children ride their bikes to the park, while they relaxed in the shade in the campground. Now the closest campground is 8 miles away and that is too far to drop kids off at the park and go back to the campground. I guess the most irritating thing about it all is why after paying over 65,000 dollars for an RV why would I want to leave it in the driveway and go and fork out another 200 a night to stay in a hotel. I can understand it is all about making money, but remember to be successful you need to accomodate all types of people and we campers are a large population of the many who visit the park day in and day out.

Originally the park had plans to open up and construct a new campground that would be upgraded and feature some of the same amenities that the newer one Carowinds has, immediately following the Great Wolf Lodge construction. What you need to understand is that while the campground was a very successful aspect of the park, the GWL oppourtunity was a great chance for the park to expand and improve itself, and they took the opportunity as it presented itself and the campground land was sold due to its location and how the land was developed. But dont mis-judge the park....they had full intention of constructing a new campground that would have been there this season. However as CBS gained control of Paramount those plans were scrapped due to the insane budget cuts of CBS and with the aquisition of 1.2 billion dollars of debt for Cedar Fair, i dont think the campground was the first thing on their minds, however it wouldnt surprise me at all if a campground returns eventually.

Btw, about how much does it cost to fill up your RV if you dont mind me asking?

Originally the park had plans to open up and construct a new campground that would be upgraded and feature some of the same amenities that the newer one Carowinds has, immediately following the Great Wolf Lodge construction. What you need to understand is that while the campground was a very successful aspect of the park, the GWL oppourtunity was a great chance for the park to expand and improve itself, and they took the opportunity as it presented itself and the campground land was sold due to its location and how the land was developed. But dont mis-judge the park....they had full intention of constructing a new campground that would have been there this season. However as CBS gained control of Paramount those plans were scrapped due to the insane budget cuts of CBS and with the aquisition of 1.2 billion dollars of debt for Cedar Fair, i dont think the campground was the first thing on their minds, however it wouldnt surprise me at all if a campground returns eventually.

Btw, about how much does it cost to fill up your RV if you dont mind me asking?

With gas prices all over the board, I can tell you when the pump reaches the 100 dollar mark it doesn't faze me anymore. It would be cheaper for me to pay monthly rates at a campground if Kings Island had one and just drive one of the small cars.

It's hard to say if KI will bring a Camp Ground back or not. I'm sure Cedar Fair will think about this, as they like to offer on site lodging. I think it would be a good idea if they did, but Cedar Fair has a lot on there plate the way it is right now, only time will tell.

agreed the original plan was to make another campground but considering the cost of everything that Cedar Fair has picked up i dont plan on seeing a campground for a few years but i can see then making one in the future again i dont care what people say i think the buying of Kings Island by Cedar Fair was the best thing for the park

I totally agree with Cedar Fair buying the park was the best thing that could have happened. The campground disappeared with the Paramount era. I am just hoping that Cedar Fair will eventually bring us one back, because I know it is an essential part of Cedar Point and I would go there more often, it is just that I am 3 hours from the Island, as to where I am 6 hours from CP.

I totally agree with Cedar Fair buying the park was the best thing that could have happened. The campground disappeared with the Paramount era. I am just hoping that Cedar Fair will eventually bring us one back, because I know it is an essential part of Cedar Point and I would go there more often, it is just that I am 3 hours from the Island, as to where I am 6 hours from CP.

ahh i c well that sucks man im about 20-30 min drive away from the park its nice :P

Rv and gas price is like Hummer and gas price. If you don't have money for gas you don't have the money to own one.

My guess on GWL is that it makes the owner of the property it sits on 5x more than the camp did and they don't have to do anything for it. If they didn't remove the camp and sold it with the park what would they have got from that?

I know Kings Island has alot of land where the wild animal habitat used to be, does it own any behind the waterpark, that would be the most perfect place for a new smaller campground. The old campground was quite large with over 300 spaces, start out small with like 150 spaces. It wouldn't even have to be up against the park, if they could offer a shuttle service from it to the campground. They do make good money off of the campground at the Point, for a premium site I think it ran around 80 a night and we don't use that much electric and water in one day in a camper. So there is good money to make off of a concrete slab to put a camper on.

I guess the most irritating thing about it all is why after paying over 65,000 dollars for an RV why would I want to leave it in the driveway and go and fork out another 200 a night to stay in a hotel.

Did you buy the RV just for KI? Or do you use it for other vacations?

As it has been mention there were plans to build a new camp ground before the sale of the park took place but CBS put all of that and other budget items on hold. Kings Island owns all the land from Kings High School down to the Little Miami River all the way past the water park. I am sure that Cedar Fair is looking at this and other improvements during the next several years. With the debt load that they took on it will has to be based on sound economic forcasts.

Mike

Rv and gas price is like Hummer and gas price. If you don't have money for gas you don't have the money to own one.

My guess on GWL is that it makes the owner of the property it sits on 5x more than the camp did and they don't have to do anything for it. If they didn't remove the camp and sold it with the park what would they have got from that?

Not true, I am poor and have a camper and a huge truck, however I still have them both....

Not true, I am poor and have a camper and a huge truck, however I still have them both....

So your saying you don't have money for gas and you still own a rv. What are doing with them if you can't pay for gas?

^ Not to contradict you at all Picard, but just because donniejb said he is "poor" and doesnt have the money for gas for either doesnt mean he will not have the money for said truck and rv come this RV season. I maybe stating the obvious here, but it's the off season for campers right now just as it is the off season of KI right now. It's cold outside (not so much the past few days and today) but donniejb may be using the "gas money" to pay the heating bill for his home. Once it warms up outside, he could use that money for gas.

RV and gas price is like Hummer and gas price. If you don't have money for gas you don't have the money to own one.

So your saying you don't have money for gas and you still own a rv. What are doing with them if you can't pay for gas?

Picard, you made no sense what so everI have had mine for a few years...and with gas prices the way they are I dont use them but will again some day....Oh yeah I forgot, I have 2 other cars also and a house, 2 dogs and 3 kids, cant afford them but I still have them.... go figure

RV and gas price is like Hummer and gas price. If you don't have money for gas you don't have the money to own one.

Picard, you made no sense what so everI have had mine for a few years...and with gas prices the way they are I dont use them but will again some day....Oh yeah I forgot, I have 2 other cars also and a house, 2 dogs and 3 kids, cant afford them but I still have them.... go figure

Maybe you should sell the RV and take care of your kids if you can't afford them.

I know Kings Island has alot of land where the wild animal habitat used to be, does it own any behind the waterpark, that would be the most perfect place for a new smaller campground. The old campground was quite large with over 300 spaces, start out small with like 150 spaces. It wouldn't even have to be up against the park, if they could offer a shuttle service from it to the campground. They do make good money off of the campground at the Point, for a premium site I think it ran around 80 a night and we don't use that much electric and water in one day in a camper. So there is good money to make off of a concrete slab to put a camper on.

Let me draw you a mental sketch of Kings Island's property:

Imagine the whole property being boxed in... on the south side there is that street where the Sunoco is (Columbia?), on the north side is where the camp ground once stood... as stated before, that's still owned by CBS. They own all the way up to Kings Island Drive, and as far east as the Little Miami River.

Is there room for another camp ground? There sure is. But it's a LOT more work to build one of those things than you think.

Maybe some day in the future... when the market calls for it... you'll see a new one.

Until then, enjoy the GWL!