What will happen with smoking at Kings Island

The Interpreter

Especially given this:

Reds ban smoking in all areas, Law Leaves No Leeway, Team Says

The only smoking at Great American Ball Park this season will come from the center-field smokestacks after a strikeout.

The Reds on Thursday declared the entire stadium non-smoking, the team's first official response to Ohio voters' passage in November of a statewide smoking ban. Fans won't be able to leave the ballpark to smoke, then re-enter.

If Reds employees see a smoker, they'll hand that person a card describing the new law and ask them to extinguish the cigarette, vice president of ballpark operations Declan Mullin said.

Last year, the club allowed smoking in seven designated areas on concourses and ramps, although not in the seating bowl. The new law's strict prohibition on smoking in enclosed areas, near entrances and exits or in places affecting employees made keeping the areas difficult, Mullin said.

"We thought long and hard about (keeping smoking areas)," Mullin said.

The team even requested a Hamilton County prosecutor's opinion, as the Bengals had. It advised the teams to prohibit smoking entirely. The Bengals banned smoking at games played after the law passed in November.

Reds fan Bruce Alderson, who lives in southern Indiana and attends three or four Reds games a year, said he was grateful.

"It certainly will help. I cannot stand the smoking anywhere."

But Ted Prues of Norwood, who goes to about 10 games a year, said he and his wife, Linda, both smokers, are disappointed.

"We pay our taxes on the stadium.... It would seem to me they could set aside half-a-dozen spaces for smokers.

"I'll probably always root for the Reds, but I'll probably do it from my own backyard."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...090339/1076/BIZ

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of torn on the whole smoking in public thing...

The Libertarian side of me hates the idea of restriction of any personal freedoms (regardless of how self-destructive those freedoms are), as just another way of government institutions butting into our private lives.

On the other hand, I'm a non-smoker and I love that all restaurants are non-smoking, and that I can spend a few hours at a bar and not come out smelling like an ash tray. (Also, I watched my father die of emphysema after smoking for 40+ years...if you've never seen the true effects of smoking, let's just say that it's not a pleasant thing...)

However, good or bad, I do think these kind of smoking restrictions are the future, and we'll be seeing them much more rather than less.

I like the smoking ban because I feel I can go to places and not worrying about breathing smoke in. Weather it be at a restraunt, bar, or theme park or anywhere else the public can go there should be no smoking. I mean get your smoking done in your home so you don't kill 20 other people.

Weather or not KI will enforce the smoking ban is the only way they will be able to make the ban use-full anyway.

Personally, I like the ban. And I can speak out of experience. Since I have moved to Florida, I have had less asthma related symptoms. And I think that a lot of it has to do with the No Smoking Law that was passed before I moved down here. If you don't smoke, and you don't want children subject to smoke, then it is a GREAT THING.

I can give you an example about what I am talking about. On a road trip to Ohio last summer, we stopped in Tennessee to eat at an Applebees. And for the 1st several minutes I was feeling kind of sick. I hadn't even thought about it, but I was back in a smoking state, and after about 10 minutes, I was experiencing an Asthma attack. This came as such a blow since I had gone nearly 2 years without having to be around it. And I was incredibly grateful to live in an area that did not allow smoking. Now I like it even better, because I can visit home, and not have to breathe it in there anymore either.

a supporter of the smoking ban,

m.f.21

When you begin banning smoking from a venue that doesn't allow re-entry in order to smoke, that leaves one major problem - they'll just do it in the toilet stalls, where surveillance and supervision isn't necessarily allowed. Yeah, like a urine-soaked toilet seat isn't bad enough at a ball park restroom.

I would not put it past CF to ban smoking at Kings Island in order to comply with this new law. I just think if they were to do this they should announce it before the season starts. I am a non-smoker and do not like it when someone else's smoke invades my lungs. If there is not a ban I would like to see the smoking in selected areas strickly enforced.

Mike

While I hate smoking, I think they should just remain non-smoking with areas for smokers. If you refuse to give smokers ANY areas to smoke, it will encourage even more people to break the rules and smoke anyway. I think remaining non-smoking except in designated smoking areas is the best compromise.

Then again, the park has never really enforced the current ban...

Yah, I was walking along the path by IJ:ST just after riding Beast and I was out of the smoking area but this guy was smoking outside the area in front of me. Anyways he dropped his cigarette while we were walking in tow and it hit the front part of my leg right above my shoe top on my shin, with the embers still glowing, anyways I shook my leg to get it off and pretty much lost my balance and tackled a little girl walking opposite of me....I felt so bad, and I didnt do anything wrong! Needless to say I apologised and once I looked up the guy was gone, so there was no use in reporting it. Those embers can sting a little!

When you begin banning smoking from a venue that doesn't allow re-entry in order to smoke, that leaves one major problem - they'll just do it in the toilet stalls, where surveillance and supervision isn't necessarily allowed. Yeah, like a urine-soaked toilet seat isn't bad enough at a ball park restroom.

I think you hit the nail right on the head, Tom. Remember when you were in grade school and the teacher would yell at you for talking in the halls? What did you do? You shut up and walked 20 more feet and got out of the teacher's earshot and started up the conversation again.

It's going to be the same kind of deal with a smoking ban in the park because people inherently do whatever they want to do. So rather than having confined smoking areas where the vast majority of smoke is centralized, you'll have sporadic people in the middle of the midways trying to get away with it in groups with everyone else.

And no, don't try to give me this excuse that they'll get a ticket or ejected from the premises because the law is too poorly written to guarantee anything like that.

If they strictly enforced the ban, then I think that it could be effective. For example, when I was at Universal Studios, the associates would stop the RIDES until they effectively made someone stop smoking. Not fair to everyone else? Or does it benefit everyone else to not inhale the smoke? Personally, I was glad to see them doing this. They also had associates circle the lines for the Halloween mazes at Halloween Horror Nights, and these associates were being very strict about line jumping and smoking cigarettes.

I would strongly approve of no smoking in Kings Island. Especially in the water park, where everyone is walking around barefoot.

If people need to smoke, they should have designated areas outside of the park, near the parking lot, or they should go to their cars.

m.f.21

I think it's a mutual respect issue. If smokers stayed in the smoking areas, it would alleviate 50% of the problem and if non-smokers would respect the designated smoking areas, and avoid them if they are really offended by the smell then it would alleviate the other 50%.

Unfortunately, smokers either don't know about the smoking areas or blatantly refuse to follow the rule, and non-smokers constantly want to make victim statements.

I think if they keep certain areas for smoking that's fine. But there needs to be more thought put into where they are located.

The area between IJ and Vortex is a prime example, it's a busy thruway to get to The Beast from Coney. It should be along the perimiter of the park out of the way, not where a vast majority will pass at least once during their visit.

I think if they keep certain areas for smoking that's fine. But there needs to be more thought put into where they are located.

The area between IJ and Vortex is a prime example, it's a busy thruway to get to The Beast from Coney. It should be along the perimiter of the park out of the way, not where a vast majority will pass at least once during their visit.

I agree entirely. I think that one is poorly located... along with the one near the fountain on I-Street. However, I think the ones that are fair are the vast majority like near Feasthaus, Coney Mall (near Action Theater), Boomerang Bay, Rivertown, and Rivertown II. Realistically, they're out of the way and if smokers would stay in these areas, and non-smokers would avoid these areas (and yes, you can still walk down the midway and avoid these areas) then it would all work out fine.

As much as I hate smoking, I think not allowing people to leave the facility, smoke, and return is wrong.

I like that my county is smoke free now. We were the last county in the area to go smoke free. Restruants in the area enjoyed a boost in business because people from other counties would come here so they could smoke and eat.

Disney World actually has some nice smoking areas, and I know this because my Grandmother is a smoker, and stopped at most of them. A lot of the areas are shaded well, and quiet compared to the rest of the park.

I support the new smoking ban 100% and I don't think that anyone should be permitted to smoke anywhere! Although I'm only 14, I've been exposed to cigarette smoke for most of my life with my mother and grandparents all being former smokers and when I was with my dad, he never cooked except for maybe once every 2 months tops, so we would go to restaurants all of the time (I think he took a cooking class somewhere because I haven't been to a restaurant in over a month and am enjoying every minute of it). I have been completely sick of cigarette smoke and getting mini asthma attacks for a long, long time and was thrilled when the law was passed.

I do see the side of the argument where designated areas should be allowed, but only with proper enforcement and it should be way outside of the gates if anything. I for one think that no smoking should be permitted as it is an infringement upon my rights as a non-smoker, especially since it is lethal. If somebody lights one up right next to you and everyone around you, they are unintentionally committing homicide. If that's legal, then people should be allowed to stab or shoot someone to death. The only difference is that it's much quicker to impale someone.

smoking areas in public makes as much sense peeing areas in a pool

smoking areas in public makes as much sense peeing areas in a pool

Haha as much as I almost couldnt agree more, your forgetting one thing...these pee areas are called restrooms and are located throughout a pool area! This is what we are talking about!

Actually, lets create buildings like restrooms throughout the park with no ventilation, and have these be designated smoking areas! If people are willing to light up and get their own smoke...why not get a little more in the process? I think this would make smokers very happy! :lol: Its kinda like a buy one get one free....er...light one smell 20 free!

This would make things very interesting for the park if they don't allow smoking at all...what about smokers who work at the park does this mean that they have to leave the property to smoke, if so where in the world do you go. I don't smoke but I know those who do and it would seem just rediculous to not allow it all all in the park. Seems there is no good solution to the problem.

As far as I have understood the law, we should still allow smoking. Basically, we are not surrounded by walls on four sides as an open air stadium is and we are outside. I am not sure how it will or will not work at the park though, we will see. Either way, doesn't bother me. The signs on all the buildings dont say no smoking in the park, just no smoking in the building. People may just have to walk a bit farther to do their smoking.

The whole smoking ban has gone a little far, I think. I agree, you shouldn't have to be exposed to second hand smoke in public, but having designated smoking areas shouldn't be outright banned in certain venues, like outdoor parks, or nightclubs and bars, if properly ventilated.

The whole 'ban' thing can get scary. Trans fats were recently BANNED from use in New York City restaurants!

Smoking, though, is bad for you no matter what way you slice it.

I hate smoking, don't get me wrong. But...

If we ban smoking in places like ballparks etc, will obesity be banned there as well? They both are harmful to your health. (Although, smoking is however more likely to harm others, rather than people running you over at Wal-Mart in their scooters.)

haha, you're really jumping out on a limb there my friend! Smoking is banned because it is harmful to other's health as you mention, period.

As are the people in Wal-Mart with scooters. Really though, who can tell a person "No, you can't leave, smoke, and return," It just doesn't sit well with me.

Well I believe security can say that, admissions can say that, and anyone else authorized to provide that pertinent info! If policy is you cant leave, smoke, and return than that is the policy, simple as that! They can have a smoke before they get in the park, and when they leave to return to their car, and they may smoke at home.

Now if the park still allows readmission with a handstamp, then leaving the park to get something to eat (really to smoke) shouldnt be a problem. It would really depend whether readmission is done away with altogether or not.

Six Flags considered that policy last off-season. It didn't stay a viable option very long. Theme parks that don't allow readmission would quickly find that their attendance was falling drastically, IMHO. People go back to their cars for all kinds of things, from forgotten articles to getting a bottle for a colicky baby to getting lunch out of a cooler or even going down the road to a more economical place to eat.

Not going to let them do that? Fine, there are other entertainment choices.

Yes, Messrs Snyder and Shapiro may have thought they could have held guests prisoner to buy expensive food and the like...but there is a major difference between attending a sporting event for a couple of hours or so and attending a park for a day or more.

I completely agree, and remember, the more times that a person has to go through the metal detector process the problem will take care of itself. Someone leaving the park three times only to return after a smoke break would be emptying his/her pockets three times and waiting in line! In my opinion this would help to keep people from just leaving and reentering. Sometimes the best punishment ends up being the most natural and uncomfortable of occurances ;)