What will happen with smoking at Kings Island

The Interpreter

My biggest issue with keeping the "designated areas" rather than having an all out ban is enforcement. When I'm working in the park, I have a job to do, and if every time a person walked by with a cigarette, I had to stop, ask them nicely to put out the cigarette, explain to them that smoking is only allowed in designated areas, and direct them to the nearest one, I'm not going to get much accomplished.

And where does one draw the line? If someone walks right in front of me, it's easy to ask them to put out the cigarette. If they're ten feet away, it's not that big of a deal to go up to them. But how far should one be expected to go out of ones way to 'catch' the smokers?

If you tell one person to put out the cigarette, and two second later another smoker walks by, you have to tell the second person the same thing, even if it's an inconvenience, otherwise it appears you're playing favorites.

And then of course there's the people who don't care. They don't believe it. Or they theink they're above the rules. Even though it's announced throughout the park multiple times a day. Even though there are signs everywhere. I've been called a liar, and plenty of much worse names by guests who just don't care. I've had to follow guests that I've talked to about putting out their cigarettes, because they refuse to listen.

The fact of the matter is, unless you make it big and obvious, that there are designated areas (which aren't even clearly outlined, but that's a whole different issue) there will be many people who just don't comply, due to ignorance, or selfishness.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest issue with keeping the "designated areas" rather than having an all out ban is enforcement. When I'm working in the park, I have a job to do, and if every time a person walked by with a cigarette, I had to stop, ask them nicely to put out the cigarette, explain to them that smoking is only allowed in designated areas, and direct them to the nearest one, I'm not going to get much accomplished.

And where does one draw the line? If someone walks right in front of me, it's easy to ask them to put out the cigarette. If they're ten feet away, it's not that big of a deal to go up to them. But how far should one be expected to go out of ones way to 'catch' the smokers?

If you tell one person to put out the cigarette, and two second later another smoker walks by, you have to tell the second person the same thing, even if it's an inconvenience, otherwise it appears you're playing favorites.

And then of course there's the people who don't care. They don't believe it. Or they theink they're above the rules. Even though it's announced throughout the park multiple times a day. Even though there are signs everywhere. I've been called a liar, and plenty of much worse names by guests who just don't care. I've had to follow guests that I've talked to about putting out their cigarettes, because they refuse to listen.

The fact of the matter is, unless you make it big and obvious, that there are designated areas (which aren't even clearly outlined, but that's a whole different issue) there will be many people who just don't comply, due to ignorance, or selfishness.

Hmmmm, not a very Service Oriented Focus. With employees that have this attitude, CF may have some additional work to do in getting the park back to it's former greatness.

And some of those who just didn't care were park employees, mostly in security.

More than once, I watched security stroll by while someone was just puffing away. Apparently, at least last year, smoking just wasn't considered important.

Perhaps this year will be different.

As for non-security employees, I see no reason they should have to do more than ask people to comply. Some smokers (very few, but some) get obnoxious when told of the designated smoking areas (I can just imagine how they will get if there is a parkwide ban).

I see no reason why the smoking area's can't remain. Maybe they should conisder less of them? I understand the complaints about the one between Vortex and The Beast. At Sea World, MGM, and Universal the smoking areas are all away from common areas, which makes perfect since. If your going to have smoking areas they should be out of common areas.

Hmmmm, not a very Service Oriented Focus. With employees that have this attitude, CF may have some additional work to do in getting the park back to it's former greatness.

I believe that her focus was a good one, she never said anywhere, that she would not tell the smoker to "put it out". She said that if she had to do this multiple times, then she wouldnt be able to do her job very well. She states herself that it IS NOT very hard to ask them if they are around her. And more than likely she does this! I dont think that it would be the responsibility of a restraint checker, or an employee makin' Larosa's to deliberately stop what they are doing, walk out of the ride or the restaraunt, and admonish a smoker that they saw out of the corner of their eye over 200 feet away!

This is why we have security and roving park inspectors, to handle this...this is their job! Now being an employee for this season, I can tell you that if I see someone smoking outside of the designated area I will let them know about it. Unless however, it is in my job description to leave this up to security, I will help to further my non-smoking guests experience! I happen to believe that her attitude is the right one to have as long as she does stop smokers as she says that she does if they are close and she doesnt have to risk a riders safety to do it!

...or just as importantly, neither she nor you should have to unnecessarily risk your own personal safety to do so, either.

Security is in the park for reasons. Which reasons are more important than others is a management decision.

Whatever decision is made on smoking, I sure hope it is better enforced than it was last year. And ride ops and food service workers should NOT have the primary responsibility for doing it, either.

Nor is this just a Paramount Parks/Cedar Fair thing. The park where I saw this least enforced was, by far, Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey.

...or just as importantly, neither she nor you should have to unnecessarily risk your own personal safety to do so, either.

Security is in the park for reasons. Which reasons are more important than others is a management decision.

Whatever decision is made on smoking, I sure hope it is better enforced than it was last year. And ride ops and food service workers should NOT have the primary responsibility for doing it, either.

Nor is this just a Paramount Parks/Cedar Fair thing. The park where I saw this least enforced was, by far, Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey.

I completely agree with you interpreter! Thank you for your support! I too hope that the enforcement is better this year at all parks, particularly the one that i visit the most! And as an employee I will do my best to ensure that all the members of this forum and any other guests have a great day at Kings Island!

In fact, it's everyone's primary job.... or should be.

Yes it somewhat is but to a certain extent, if everyone is doing what they should be doing in their job description plus other things that help make the park a better place than the guest's experience will be great! But, if an employee has to do other things above and beyond what they are capable than it takes away from what they are supposed to be doing and the guest experience will suffer. It is all about balance. If I hop off my ride to stop a smoker...your experience will be better without the smoker, but your experienc is gonna suck if you ride my ride, because I wasnt doing what I am supposed to and the lines will be long as hell!

Heck we use to tell people to put out cigarettes in line. If I still worked in the park I would tell people to put them out in non designated areas. I have also seen Employees and Security walk by people and not say anything about people smoking in non designated areas.

What I don't understand is why there are smoking places all over in nick universe. And why people just don't care to stay in them. I work a game called Gold Rush quite often and there is a smoking place right next to it. the worst is on hot days people won't put out the cigarettes all the way so they put them in the box and then they burn the whole box up and i have to go put out the mini fire inside the box.

As far as staying in the designated areas goes I always tried to persuade people to go to the smoking areas and I would even have people come up and ask where the closest one was. So it's not like people didn't go there at all, it's just that more people need to persuade guests to stay within the areas.

I have been smoking since I was 18, and I see four sides of this issue.

The First, and most importantly, is that Ohio voted on a bill that had no guidelines at all. In fact, it is so bad that they can easily take away the freedom of choice that I enjoy in Kentucky all the way down to no smoking in your own home.

Second, I consider myself a conscious smoker. I wait to smoke in designated areas. I dont need the state to tell me where not to smoke.

Third, people need to look at history. This is exactly how prohibition started. And see how that ended. If you do not think that history repeats itself, read up on the start of prohibition, and you have the current smoking ban.

Fourth, This law is taking away the Freedom of Choice. I can tell you now that if I owned a business I would be very unhappy. It is not the states business to tell me (a business owner) how I choose to run my business. If I want smokers, then I will allow smokers.

Lets turn this around for a second. Non-smokers, do you have the choice to go to Applebee's, where it is a non-smoking establishment, or go to a bar that allows smoking? Yes you do. Now, imagine this: It is a law to allow smoking in all public places. How would you feel?

And about the argument that it is unhealthy. For the smoker, I can buy it. HOWEVER, if you are not around smoke constantly (I.E. mom or dad smokes in the house,) you are in no danger. The current commercials about second hand smoke do apply, however in mass. Walking through a cloud of smoke is not going to kill you, or even shave time off your life.

If it is so unhealthy to have such pollutants in the air, let us compare smoking to car exhaust. I would definitely say that car exhaust is a lot more toxic and unhealthy for you than cigarette smoke. So does this mean that we should ban driving due to the exhaust making people sick?

Lets start attacking the true problems, not the petty ones that are brought on by special interests groups.

Tom- who's mom never raised as a quitter.

Well, I knew that we would have one of these in here somewhere...it was just a matter of time! lol

First off let me be the first to thank you for only smoking in designated areas! I truly appreciate your conciousness, most dont share your same views!

In any case, we all know that long exposure to second hand smoke kills...and you bring up the point that just walking through a brief cloud or haze of cigarette smoke wont kill you. Though this is true, the more tiny puffs that you walk into the greater the chance that these tiny puffs WILL help to kill you!

Also, it isnt just about it being unhealthy, cigarette smoke smells really really bad! I dont like smelling like it nor do I like to cough the minute I walk through it! Although you admit that you go to the designated areas you seem ignorant to the fact that us nonsmokers do not want to smell like this or have our breathing disrupted by even minor airborne cigarette smoke! This is the only way I can phrase it.

Also, if you look at prohibition it was an extremist view on removing something from society that contributed moral problems but posessed limited physical or uncomfortable problems to bystanders. Smoking is banned not just because it is physically damaging to the person who smokes, but it IS harmful to others, and it makes others feel very uncomfortable. We are also trying to get rid of high-emission automobiles in a way that will not kill our economy, but eventually lead us out of the smog-ages!

And as for freedom of choice, what about our freedom of choice that was cut off by having no choice but to attend public places that had to allow smoking?

This is a true problem and one that is being addressed, as well as emissions-free vehicles are being adressed for the future. Hopefully in due time, under age drinking will be stopped! I have a problem in that I can't be around any of my friends during certain times because all they care about is beer-pong and I simply do not!

I am sorry but based on the preceding reasons I cannot be sympathetic to your cause!

And as for freedom of choice, what about our freedom of choice that was cut off by having no choice but to attend public places that had to allow smoking?

So you're saying that your freedom to go anyplace that you want without having any smoking anywhere is more important than SOB_Tom's freedom to have smoking sections? Are you really that special?

In any case, we all know that long exposure to second hand smoke kills...and you bring up the point that just walking through a brief cloud or haze of cigarette smoke wont kill you. Though this is true, the more tiny puffs that you walk into the greater the chance that these tiny puffs WILL help to kill you!

That's actually not a fact. It's an assertion. Did you notice how all of the truth commercials cite that someone shared an office with a smoker for 20 years and died from it? There really is no doubt in my mind that second hand smoke has negative health effects. However, I think that the whole victim statement about walking through smoke outdoors is a product of the media. You're not going to be hurt from it. Don't like the smell? DON'T WALK THROUGH THE SMOKING SECTIONS! If you complain about people smoking in a smoking section because of that it's just pure lazyness. If you intend to work there this summer, I'd intend to get past that really quickly, because you won't last long.

Also, if you look at prohibition it was an extremist view on removing something from society that contributed moral problems but posessed limited physical or uncomfortable problems to bystanders. Smoking is banned not just because it is physically damaging to the person who smokes, but it IS harmful to others, and it makes others feel very uncomfortable. We are also trying to get rid of high-emission automobiles in a way that will not kill our economy, but eventually lead us out of the smog-ages!

Prohibition was an extremist view. That's why it's gone now. Quite frankly, I'd much rather be on the road with someone who's smoking in their car rather than someone who has been drinking. Drunk driving kills thousands of people each year but very few are standing up and saying that it should be illegal to drink. Heck, I don't like the smell of whiskey on peoples' breath, but I don't try to ban whiskey because I feel as though I am so special that since I don't like something that peoples' liberties should be taken away to please me.

As much as you'd hate to admit it, you're as guilty as everyone else. Why? You're on this site right now. You are taking in electricity that doesn't need to be taken in and adding to the pollution in the air from your local coal plant... likely giving someone cancer somewhere. Should we shut down the site and the whole entertainment side of the internet to prevent that? Of course not.

Think of the Oz Principle. Dorthy went through the whole land of Oz trying to find someone who could send her home. She encountered a lion, a tin man, and a scarecrow. None of which could help her... they just needed help themselves. Dorthy had the power inside her the whole time. So do we. People have the choice to rise above any circumstance and make greater accomplishments for themselves.. no matter what. If a person wants to turn to others to create an environment, they will only inherit their baggage. So is true in this situation. You say you don't want to smell smoke so you turn towards smokers assuming that they won't smoke. Realistically, if you don't want to smell smoke... avoid smoke. Unfortunately, like most people who make claims like yours, you either want to be the hero or the victim in this situation, which you are neither. Take that as a life lesson, sir.

I would much rather work a game next to a smoking section and smell it all day long, then see one person walk through the park with a cigarette.

Smoking smells bad yeah, but keeping it in small areas is a brilliant idea compared to letting it happen all over the park. Think of how bad the whole park would smell and how terrible it would be to walk through any part of the park and find people smoking.

Air currents are a wonderful thing...

I would like to pose a question though: How do extremist movements start? Some would say several radicals would get together and want something done, and do radical things to make their point. This is not how extremist movements start. They take baby steps. So by saying that prohibition was just "an extremist movement" is completely false. A speciality group got together and said "We will have no more drinking because it causes....." By misleading people by stretching the truth (Ex. Drinking any alcohol at all will kill your liver,) the movement picked up speed until there were enough people in the states against alcohol to vote "dry states" and anti-alcohol senators, who passed an amendment in our Constitution, and was ratified by 2/3 of the states, and was put into law. All of this was started by maybe 20 people who did not like alcohol.

And it begins again.....

The "non-smoking because it hurts others" started with a select few people, who looked at the figures of deaths by second hand smoke without looking at the circumstances, and then started to spread around the "facts" through the truth commercials. Because of this, the average American is being taken advantage of. "Well, if the TV said it, it must be true," so no one did their own homework and look up the figures on medical websites. The ones who did, looked at the truth website, who put up (for lack of better term) their figures, and were misled. Then, states started to pass smoking bans.

Anything look familiar?

And BTW, a quote from WebMD:

"The risk is considered significant if non-smokers live in an environment where cigarette smoke is prevalent."

So you're saying that your freedom to go anyplace that you want without having any smoking anywhere is more important than SOB_Tom's freedom to have smoking sections? Are you really that special?

No, Im not that special, and make no claims as such! what I said was I had no place to attend devoid of smoking! Just as he had no place to attend where all there was was smoking...we are in the same boat! He talked about his freedom of choice that was taken away, and I talked about mine (this is called an opposing viewpoint).

You're not going to be hurt from it. Don't like the smell? DON'T WALK THROUGH THE SMOKING SECTIONS! If you complain about people smoking in a smoking section because of that it's just pure lazyness. If you intend to work there this summer, I'd intend to get past that really quickly, because you won't last long.

Actually this is where you are completely WRONG, I have asthma as do many others on here and I have many allergies. Walking through the smoke I am hurt from it, not to death but never-the-less I am hurt from it, I get a severe pain in my chest when I am even around people spraying lysol, you can imagine what cigarette smoke does! Also, I have trouble breathing it, and in order to clear my system I usually start gagging, which not only really hurts my throat but my stomach if I actually puke. Your assumption that I am not hurt from it is completly asinine and ignorant. Just because you arent physically hurt by it doesnt mean that others are not! And, Im deffinately not complaining about smokers smoking in their designated smoking areas, this is where they have been designated to smoke. BTW, I do avoid the smoking sections where possible, just in the same way that I have to use the side entrances to the buildings at UD! As you can see its not pure lazyness, I go around these areas and am proactive in being away from cigarette smoke, I HAVE TOO! Also, I do intend to work in the park this summer, I have just been given more prescriptions to help me through my umpiring/baseball/KI season! I will try my very best to stay away from the smoke where possible. Once again because unlike you obviously...I HAVE TOO!

Prohibition was an extremist view. That's why it's gone now. Quite frankly, I'd much rather be on the road with someone who's smoking in their car rather than someone who has been drinking. Drunk driving kills thousands of people each year but very few are standing up and saying that it should be illegal to drink. Heck, I don't like the smell of whiskey on peoples' breath, but I don't try to ban whiskey because I feel as though I am so special that since I don't like something that peoples' liberties should be taken away to please me.

I completely agree with you here, I said that it was an extremist view! Also Id much rather be on the road with a smoker than a drunk driver, that's pure common sense! As to your claim of not taking away whiskey because you dont like the smell of it on people's breath, I agree, am I wanting to get rid of smoking just because of the smell of it on someone elses clothes? HELL NO! I dont want to get rid of smoking altogether at all, I just feel the designated areas should be designated better as does nearly everyone who has posted in this topic. Smoking is kind of good for America, it helps the economy, creates jobs, the downside is it can take lives. So again, I dont want to as you put it, "ban the whiskey" or in this case smoking, I want to somehow reach a perfect medium with both sides.

As much as you'd hate to admit it, you're as guilty as everyone else. Why? You're on this site right now. You are taking in electricity that doesn't need to be taken in and adding to the pollution in the air from your local coal plant... likely giving someone cancer somewhere. Should we shut down the site and the whole entertainment side of the internet to prevent that? Of course not.

On a mildly sarcastic note, I live next to the Mound Plant in Miamisburg! As for the local coal plant, I admit this is a great cause of injury and illness just as much as anything else! This is the exact reason why DP&L are currently putting more windturbines and the like in my area (very hilly) Also there is a very strong effort to create clean sustainable energy. Eventually we will get rid of most of these problems, it just so happens that smoking is the first to go, because it is the easiest to control. So yes I am as guilty as the next person for using this site, however we have to start somewhere!

You say you don't want to smell smoke so you turn towards smokers assuming that they won't smoke. Realistically, if you don't want to smell smoke... avoid smoke. Unfortunately, like most people who make claims like yours, you either want to be the hero or the victim in this situation, which you are neither. Take that as a life lesson, sir.

I dont turn to smokers assuming they wont smoke, I realize we are human and sh** happens. I also realize that there is no such thing in life as control. There are things that you may guide, but never control, this is why i generally dont trust others, so no I dont look to others to not smoke! I look to the parks which is our topic right now and our government to regulate things to where, we all have a happy medium and we have an all around choice. There has to be give and take. It isnt just if I (or others) dont want to smell smoke we should just go out of our way and avoid it, basically you are saying that smokers dont have to care, they can smoke whereever they want because they own the world and we should just step out of their way! Thats not right, the same way in which it isnt right that they have to be completely secluded, other than the fact that their activities do harm others, as you have seen by my personal account. They should be allowed to smoke, but activities by fellow citizens should never be allowed to jeopardize the well being of other citizens. This is why there are laws against murder, and on-ride photography which could injure people, and drunk driving.

There is no hero in any of these accounts, its what I believe is called an opinion. As far as me being a victim as you say, im really not, Im alive and live in a nice house supported by my parents income, you're right Life is GREAT! But it is important that things be taken into consideration because some of us do have issues that can be uncomfortable. And as Im sure quite a few of us have figured out..there are no heroes, only victims. There are those who are cheated little, and those who are cheated lots. What makes us human is that we persevere, understand and change. Those who deal best with their challenges survive, it is natural selection and darwinism at its finest!

Just so you know..for future reference...when I walk through that "unharmful" cloud of smoke it deffinatly feels like I have been punched in the stomach, must just be coincidental! Thank you for the insult!

Have a nice morning!

With me working at the admissions at the front gate, I would see guests smoking as they come through the turnstyles and would politly tell them about the policy and mention the closest smoking area. One of the problems that I see are the lack of announcments of the smoking policy. I would like to see some sort of a sign and more announcments of the smoking policy especially at the front gate. It begins on the web site and in the media. Just do not wait until the very start of the season before any decision to ban smoking at the park.

Mike

Guest kwindshawne
I have been smoking since I was 18, and I see four sides of this issue.

The First, and most importantly, is that Ohio voted on a bill that had no guidelines at all. In fact, it is so bad that they can easily take away the freedom of choice that I enjoy in Kentucky all the way down to no smoking in your own home.

Second, I consider myself a conscious smoker. I wait to smoke in designated areas. I dont need the state to tell me where not to smoke.

Third, people need to look at history. This is exactly how prohibition started. And see how that ended. If you do not think that history repeats itself, read up on the start of prohibition, and you have the current smoking ban.

Fourth, This law is taking away the Freedom of Choice. I can tell you now that if I owned a business I would be very unhappy. It is not the states business to tell me (a business owner) how I choose to run my business. If I want smokers, then I will allow smokers.

Lets turn this around for a second. Non-smokers, do you have the choice to go to Applebee's, where it is a non-smoking establishment, or go to a bar that allows smoking? Yes you do. Now, imagine this: It is a law to allow smoking in all public places. How would you feel?

And about the argument that it is unhealthy. For the smoker, I can buy it. HOWEVER, if you are not around smoke constantly (I.E. mom or dad smokes in the house,) you are in no danger. The current commercials about second hand smoke do apply, however in mass. Walking through a cloud of smoke is not going to kill you, or even shave time off your life.

If it is so unhealthy to have such pollutants in the air, let us compare smoking to car exhaust. I would definitely say that car exhaust is a lot more toxic and unhealthy for you than cigarette smoke. So does this mean that we should ban driving due to the exhaust making people sick?

Lets start attacking the true problems, not the petty ones that are brought on by special interests groups.

Tom- who's mom never raised as a quitter.

I for one appreciate your courtesy of smoking in the designated areas. As a former smoker, I think the laws have gone too far of telling people where to smoke and such. I also know the end result of being a former smoker-and it is a matter of time before it affects your health. I felt the same as you do, until one morning I woke up and could not breathe-and have had several incidents since then. It is scary to wake up with your throat completely closed off and blue. Now when I am around smoke, I have an "allergic" reaction to it, and feel that strangling feeling again. I hope you never experience these issues.

I think the reason this law came about is because of the numerous smokers who don't have the courtesy to stay in the area. However, I don' think it's any of the governments' business of whether you smoke at home or in your car-in that respect, it has gone way too far and them poking their nose in our every day lives is becoming more and more common. Enough!!

Guest kwindshawne

I believe that her focus was a good one, she never said anywhere, that she would not tell the smoker to "put it out". She said that if she had to do this multiple times, then she wouldnt be able to do her job very well. She states herself that it IS NOT very hard to ask them if they are around her. And more than likely she does this! I dont think that it would be the responsibility of a restraint checker, or an employee makin' Larosa's to deliberately stop what they are doing, walk out of the ride or the restaraunt, and admonish a smoker that they saw out of the corner of their eye over 200 feet away!

This is why we have security and roving park inspectors, to handle this...this is their job! Now being an employee for this season, I can tell you that if I see someone smoking outside of the designated area I will let them know about it. Unless however, it is in my job description to leave this up to security, I will help to further my non-smoking guests experience! I happen to believe that her attitude is the right one to have as long as she does stop smokers as she says that she does if they are close and she doesnt have to risk a riders safety to do it!

I did security for Bill Graham out in California in 1990-and one of my jobs was to enforce smoking in desgnated areas. I have been called every name in the book, and have also been threatened with bodily harm, all over a darn cigarette. A lot of of it is in the approach, however, anything goes if someone is drunk. Believe me, from my observations last year, half of the smokers in the park were doing it in the queue lines and every other freaking place. Security can't be everywhere, and people should have the consideration to do it where it is allowed.

No, Im not that special, and make no claims as such! what I said was I had no place to attend devoid of smoking! Just as he had no place to attend where all there was was smoking...we are in the same boat! He talked about his freedom of choice that was taken away, and I talked about mine (this is called an opposing viewpoint).

You're not going to be hurt from it. Don't like the smell? DON'T WALK THROUGH THE SMOKING SECTIONS! If you complain about people smoking in a smoking section because of that it's just pure lazyness. If you intend to work there this summer, I'd intend to get past that really quickly, because you won't last long.

Actually this is where you are completely WRONG, I have asthma as do many others on here and I have many allergies. Walking through the smoke I am hurt from it, not to death but never-the-less I am hurt from it, I get a severe pain in my chest when I am even around people spraying lysol, you can imagine what cigarette smoke does! Also, I have trouble breathing it, and in order to clear my system I usually start gagging, which not only really hurts my throat but my stomach if I actually puke. Your assumption that I am not hurt from it is completly asinine and ignorant. Just because you arent physically hurt by it doesnt mean that others are not! And, Im deffinately not complaining about smokers smoking in their designated smoking areas, this is where they have been designated to smoke. BTW, I do avoid the smoking sections where possible, just in the same way that I have to use the side entrances to the buildings at UD! As you can see its not pure lazyness, I go around these areas and am proactive in being away from cigarette smoke, I HAVE TOO! Also, I do intend to work in the park this summer, I have just been given more prescriptions to help me through my umpiring/baseball/KI season! I will try my very best to stay away from the smoke where possible. Once again because unlike you obviously...I HAVE TOO!

I completely agree with you here, I said that it was an extremist view! Also Id much rather be on the road with a smoker than a drunk driver, that's pure common sense! As to your claim of not taking away whiskey because you dont like the smell of it on people's breath, I agree, am I wanting to get rid of smoking just because of the smell of it on someone elses clothes? HELL NO! I dont want to get rid of smoking altogether at all, I just feel the designated areas should be designated better as does nearly everyone who has posted in this topic. Smoking is kind of good for America, it helps the economy, creates jobs, the downside is it can take lives. So again, I dont want to as you put it, "ban the whiskey" or in this case smoking, I want to somehow reach a perfect medium with both sides.

On a mildly sarcastic note, I live next to the Mound Plant in Miamisburg! As for the local coal plant, I admit this is a great cause of injury and illness just as much as anything else! This is the exact reason why DP&L are currently putting more windturbines and the like in my area (very hilly) Also there is a very strong effort to create clean sustainable energy. Eventually we will get rid of most of these problems, it just so happens that smoking is the first to go, because it is the easiest to control. So yes I am as guilty as the next person for using this site, however we have to start somewhere!

You say you don't want to smell smoke so you turn towards smokers assuming that they won't smoke. Realistically, if you don't want to smell smoke... avoid smoke. Unfortunately, like most people who make claims like yours, you either want to be the hero or the victim in this situation, which you are neither. Take that as a life lesson, sir.

I dont turn to smokers assuming they wont smoke, I realize we are human and sh** happens. I also realize that there is no such thing in life as control. There are things that you may guide, but never control, this is why i generally dont trust others, so no I dont look to others to not smoke! I look to the parks which is our topic right now and our government to regulate things to where, we all have a happy medium and we have an all around choice. There has to be give and take. It isnt just if I (or others) dont want to smell smoke we should just go out of our way and avoid it, basically you are saying that smokers dont have to care, they can smoke whereever they want because they own the world and we should just step out of their way! Thats not right, the same way in which it isnt right that they have to be completely secluded, other than the fact that their activities do harm others, as you have seen by my personal account. They should be allowed to smoke, but activities by fellow citizens should never be allowed to jeopardize the well being of other citizens. This is why there are laws against murder, and on-ride photography which could injure people, and drunk driving.

There is no hero in any of these accounts, its what I believe is called an opinion. As far as me being a victim as you say, im really not, Im alive and live in a nice house supported by my parents income, you're right Life is GREAT! But it is important that things be taken into consideration because some of us do have issues that can be uncomfortable. And as Im sure quite a few of us have figured out..there are no heroes, only victims. There are those who are cheated little, and those who are cheated lots. What makes us human is that we persevere, understand and change. Those who deal best with their challenges survive, it is natural selection and darwinism at its finest!

Just so you know..for future reference...when I walk through that "unharmful" cloud of smoke it deffinatly feels like I have been punched in the stomach, must just be coincidental! Thank you for the insult!

Have a nice morning!

I don't want you to think I was directing anything directly towards you. I was just making an example.

You do make some excellent points in the post above, and you're right... it comes down to pro-activity on both sides, which once again comes down to the respect issue. Smokers need to respect that some people don't like the smell of smoke or get sick by it, and non-smokers need to respect the fact that just because they don't like smoke, it shouldn't take about others liberty to smoke.

I have to go to work.... more on this later. :lol:

I did security for Bill Graham out in California in 1990-and one of my jobs was to enforce smoking in desgnated areas. I have been called every name in the book, and have also been threatened with bodily harm, all over a darn cigarette. A lot of of it is in the approach, however, anything goes if someone is drunk. Believe me, from my observations last year, half of the smokers in the park were doing it in the queue lines and every other freaking place. Security can't be everywhere, and people should have the consideration to do it where it is allowed.

That just don't seem down right Christian now does it?

Guest kwindshawne

That just don't seem down right Christian now does it?

Bill Graham rock promoter-Fillmore east and west, shoreline amphitheatre, Mountian View, CA

If you ask me i think that you should be able to leave the park and then come back in to smoke. I dont really care if they ban smoking or not because i dont smoke and i dont know anybody that does so i amfine with whatever but i do respect people's rights and i think that they need to respect those but i dont care if they ban it or not. The area i think would be the best for a smoking area would be somewhere over by FOF and now Firehawk where there is not very many people that walk by. Or you can just make a smoking tent just for smoking and that way people cannot complain because if they get in smoke it is their fault.