What will happen with smoking at Kings Island

The Interpreter

Guest kwindshawne
Outcasts from society? Tom, I know you on a personal level and do like you, but honestly that is the stupidest, stupidest argument I ever heard! Outcasts? Are you kidding me. This isnt nazi germany where they made the Jews live in Ghettos and this isnt the heat of the civil rights movement where we had seperate drinking foutnains and dining facilities. Smoking is a personal choice that is NOT a neccesity for you to keep living. No one is being outcasted, just asked to take their habit elsewhere, and if they dont want to do that theres ways (ways even provided for FREE by the state of OHIO for them to kick that habit) The Jews couldnt stop being Jewish and the African Americans could'nt just change the color of their skin, those attrocities of the second world war and civil rights movement caused those people to be outcasts based on unjust factors about their culture, heritage, and make up that they couldnt change! You can change from being a smoker to a non smoker! Are smokers out casts because of the law? Only becuase they chose to be by choice!

You make some very good points Ronny. I only have a problem with the bolded section. If it's a smoking ban, then you can't really take smoking elsewhere. I do not disagree with any of the health consequences of smoking, what I disagree with is the element of choice. I mean, what if you're in a group of four people, all of which are smokers, and you want to go somewhere and relax and smoke? Not in Ohio. HOWEVER four non-smokers can go wherever they want and not have to deal with smoke at all.

If you open a business in Ohio you HAVE to make it non-smoking, you have no choice in the matter what so ever... regardless of what your customer base or business plan dictates. Thankfully, I'm from a state like KY which doesn't force things upon people like that, but if I were to open a restaurant or bar in Ohio and had no choice in the matter, I'd be pretty angry.

Should smoking be banned in the future? Certainly. I hope to God that it gets phased out of society, but I think this approach, so soon, is more discrimination than anything else.

-Ryan... who doesn't 100% disagree with Tom's Lake Erie-front property comment.

I think I'll lock myself out before I say something I regret-tootles....

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anything wrong with keeping the designated areas. KI just needs to do a better job of enforcing the policy.

OK

Now granted, I did not get to the park last year...

When did this all become such an issue and since when did the park become inundated by inconsiderate smokers?

This must be a phenomenon at KI as I've not experienced it at any other parks?

I really don`t have a problem with people smoking on the midways, because I can get away from them if I want to. The problem I have, is when smokers decide to light up in a line for a ride. That, is just inconsiderate to the guests waiting in line, which is why smoking has not been permitted in lines at Kings Island for several years. Even so, you will still find an occasional guest who decides to light up while in line.

The reason this topic was brought up is because of the smoking ban passed in the state of Ohio. Kings Island started the smoking areas 2 years ago, for the 2005 season. Being that the park is outdoors, I really don't see how the law can tell Kings Island you can't allow something in outdoor areas of the park.

Im not sure of how the law is written but I think it purely includes private indoor property that of which is open to the public. The Cincinnati Reds did away with smoking in the stadium not because of compliance with the law but out of respect and agreement for and with the law. Bob Castellini said in the press release that by the voters voting for the law it showed that the majority of Ohioans are for a smoking ban, so he felt it best to echo the sentiments in Great American Ballpark.

Furthermore, what I took from Maureens comments at Winter Soar is that Cedar Fair is deciding what policy to go with. To the best of my knowledge she didnt make any allusions to having to directly comply with the law but rather echo its sentiments in the parks, out of respect for the ban and some non-smokers and some smokers who voted for it!

I think too, that maybe Cedar Fair sees it as a better guest experience for their Ohio parks, for that of the majority anyways.

But see, with the Reds, the designated smoking areas were located within some what confined areas. The Reds took that these areas, which were located on the concourse areas, could be deemed interior spaces, so they decided to comply with an outright ban of smoking inside the Ball Park premises. Kings Island is slightly different in the fact that it is not like the ball park which has a lot of corridors which are semi-indoors. At Kings Island, most of the midways are out side and not protected areas like the concourses at the ball park.

Yes, it is somewhat of a combination of what you have said and what I stated. Compliance in some areas, and respect for the ban in others. However it was originally deemed that allowing smoking in the concourse level was allowed. I am not sure if that had changed upto the current policy at the ballpark. Also the Cincinnati Zoo went Smokeless I believe!

Im not sure of how the law is written but I think it purely includes private indoor property that of which is open to the public. The Cincinnati Reds did away with smoking in the stadium not because of compliance with the law but out of respect and agreement for and with the law. Bob Castellini said in the press release that by the voters voting for the law it showed that the majority of Ohioans are for a smoking ban, so he felt it best to echo the sentiments in Great American Ballpark.

Furthermore, what I took from Maureens comments at Winter Soar is that Cedar Fair is deciding what policy to go with. To the best of my knowledge she didnt make any allusions to having to directly comply with the law but rather echo its sentiments in the parks, out of respect for the ban and some non-smokers and some smokers who voted for it!

I think too, that maybe Cedar Fair sees it as a better guest experience for their Ohio parks, for that of the majority anyways.

Ahhhh, there was a time that I could sit down in the Blue Seats at Riverfront Stadium and watch the game and have a cigar. Funny thing is that no one ever complained or even made a comment. How things have changed.

I have the answer. I contacted Maureen Kaiser, the Manager of Marketing Communications for Kings Island, and she sent me this reply:

Hello, Paul.

Thanks so much for your email.

We are moving ahead with designated smoking areas at this point.

Have a great day!

Maureen Kaiser, APR

Manager, Marketing Communications

There you have it. Smokers should be jumping for joy.

Thank You,

Paul Johnston

Editor-in-Chief

Warren County Informer