Paramount did ONE good thing!

Steveo3631

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, besides the fact that they hardly put any money back into the park to make sure everything looked nice and was kept up well. They were money hungry so they could use the money for other purposes .. like movies. Just my personal opinion. They did put in a couple good rides I will give them that though

I just wanted to comment here. Now, I will admit that I am a fan of the movie tie-in at the park. Hopefully none of you throw tomatoes at me! ROFL Paramount Communications course bought the park in 1992, but the plans were already slated for the coaster known as Top Gun. I am not totally sure on this, but I would guess that Days of Thunder was also in the works with KECO, since it made its debut at a few of the sister parks in 1993. However, the themeing and overall look of the park can be credited to the Paramount ownership. When Viacom bought Paramount Communications, nothing really changed as far as things go. The only thing that really is notable that changed is the opportunity to bring in the Viacom brands into the park, such as Nickelodeon (1995) and Showtime (1996). Very litte changed as far as the management is concerned. Granted I think Viacom could have had better marketing, taking better advantage of their popular brands. I think they realized this little too late. I always wondered why they didnt take advantage of the Star Trek brand, it being one of the most popular Paramount brands. They did have the romaning characters at one point, but they were removed once the Star Trek Experience opened in Vegas. In my personal opinion, I think they eventually realized they flaws and they tried to rectify it with their "Best of Hollywood Entertainment" marketing campaign and taking advantage of some of their more popular brands, such as Star Trek at Carowinds. Over the past few years (as I am sure many of you are aware) the Parks have been of little importance and eventually became excess baggage when Viacom finally split and CBS Corporation took control. Personally, I think the Parks should have remained with the new Viacom, and the marketing potentials probably would have continued to increase. Have you ever had an old pair of shoes that you just kept because you didnt want to get rid of them? You kept them because they were yours, but didnt really take good care of them. That, in my opinion, is what the parks where to CBS. As much as I hate to admit it, they probably did the right thing in their sale to Cedar Fair, whose primary focus is the amusement park business. Still, I think that Viacom made stupid decisions. Just my opinion.

Paramount Communications course bought the park in 1992, but the plans were already slated for the coaster known as Top Gun.

Yes the plans were already set in motion for a suspended coaster, but the coaster was to be Thunder Road, not Top Gun. Even though some may not agree, TG is a terrific starter "gimmick" coaster for younger kids, so it does have it's place in the park.

Steveo3631 said:

As much as we bash Paramount, remember that Paramount rejoined all the Taft built and owned theme parks. Before that they were owned by at least three different companies.

I guess I don't see why this is a important thing.

Steveo3631 said:

As much as we bash Paramount, remember that Paramount rejoined all the Taft built and owned theme parks. Before that they were owned by at least three different companies.

I guess I don't see why this is a important thing.

I grew up with the Taft parks, love the Taft parks. Would have hated to see them under different umbrellas. Perhaps it has only been important to me. I saw them broken up in the 80's, rejoined in the 90's and thanks to Cedar Fair, are continuing to be joined under one company!

What do you mean the Taft parks were "broken up" in the eighties? True, they were no longer part of Taft, but they were owned and operated by KECO, and then owned by Carl Lindner and managed by KECO.

Taft bought Carowinds from E. Pat Hall as part of a partnership, which later dissolved and Taft became the sole owner in 1980. Taft was a partner in developing Wonderland, owning a 20% stake. Canada`s Wonderland would not be fully reunited with the rest of the parks until 1993 when Paramount purchased the remaining 80% stake of Canada`s Wonderland that they did not already own.

Yes, Paramount made some very bad moves over the years. Case in point was ripping out the `Tiques and Eagles for IJST. There were far better locations for that ride to sit without sacrificing two classic and loved rides.

However, some moves were exceptional moves. Look at the install of Delirium. It has become a tremendously popular ride, and was located in a prime spot that provides ample opportunities for guests to watch the ride in motion. Another smart install was Drop Zone. The ride is so popular that they actually extended its queue line several years ago! Obviously, FearFest has been a huge success since it debuted in 2000. And I think that FF will grow even more under the tutelage of Cedar Fair Entertainment Co.

(personal opinion)- Paramount came into the whole park ownership trying to re-invent the wheel already perfected by Disney and Universal. They bought the parks with the attitude that they knew more about being successful than the previous owners who built them. They did some things very well- in PKI's case, Paramount was very good to bring in (i think) five coasters- three of them record breaking at the time they were constructed. In addition, they brought in other ground-breaking flat rides. And above all- it was a profitable company with no park closings (al la Six Flags).

BTW, back in late 2005 it was noticed by someone the Cedar Fair's CEO was at the park. People on this board were curious as to the reason for the visit; some passed it off as wanting to review Delerium prior to Maxx Air's debut. Opinion... was that the case or was the visit a pre-cursor to purchase????

Yes, Paramount made some very bad moves over the years. Case in point was ripping out the `Tiques and Eagles for IJST. There were far better locations for that ride to sit without sacrificing two classic and loved rides.

That has got to be the worst thing they did.

That ride is hideous there. It just doesn't seem to fit at all.

Everytime I walk past it, I just want to ask someone "Why is this here?"

I miss the Antique cars. :\ They ALWAYS had a line and were always popular, especially with pre-driving children.

Actually the line may have had something to do with the capacity too. I'm not sure but I don't think the Antique Cars had that high of capacity. But they were very popular too.

That's probably true. :)

I just don't like parks getting rid of rides that the entire family can enjoy. Even grandma and grandpa could ride those!

I think the Italian Job is a complete waste of space. And as I've said before I think it kills the beautiful scenery that was created by the antique cars. I hate having huge explosions and a loud coaster in the center of the park.

If the Italian Job hadn't come to KI the park would be a better place.

Actually, at the time Paramount Communications bought Kings Island, the other US then soon-to-be Paramount Parks were owned by KECO, which only managed Kings Island by then (which was owned by Lindner...and he had indicated he would NOT be renewing the management contract).

Paramount Communications DID insist on owning Kings Island as well (sound familiar?), so in a structured transaction, Lindner, who already owned KI bought the rest of KECO's US parks and its interest in Wonderland then sold to Paramount Communications. As stated previously, Paramount later acquired the outstanding interest in Wonderland.

And why is it important that KI was part of a five park chain? Had it not been, the chances are excellent someone named Tierco, Premier Parks or Six Flags would have bought it from Lindner. And you would then either have Six Flags Kings Island or Six Flags Cincinnati. Of course, if that had happened in 1998 or before, you also probably would not have Son of Beast, Tomb Raider, Delirium or Italian Job. I wonder where they would have put the boomerang and the SLC?

--The Interpreter, only half kidding about that last part

I totally agree, adding rides like Face/Off, Drop Zone, Son of Beast, trtr, Delerium, Flight of Fear; adding areas like, Action Zone and Nick U, and Boomerang Bay; refurbishing the Royal Fountains; STARTING FEARFEST; expanding the park EVERY year; events like Nights of Fire; adding the Nickelodean Parade; even trying to rekindle Winterfest RIP; Were all abosolutely DEVEASTATING monstrosities and Paramount should have been ashamed for EVER even CONSIDERING any of these decisions. HOW DARE THEY. If they were smart they would have just left it how KECO had it, our last expansion would have been Adventure Express, and I'm sure everyone would be estatic. We would ride the Wild Animal Habitat over and over as we watch the King Cobra crumble before our eyes. I know thats how I wish the park was. And I'm sure this would have made the park so much more appealing to Cedar Fair, they wouldn't be able to resist buying a park without an expansion in 15 years. An update every year, come on we wanted to be like Six Flags. Personally I shutter every night before bed just thinking about the new rides that Paramount put in, and the updates they've made for the park and I have to cry myself to sleep. And its so nice to know that I'm not the only one that thinks this.

I think the only thing Paramount did right was sell to CP

I bet if the high bidder had been The Wondrous Mystery Pretzel Company of Timbuktoo, as long as they paid in cash, CBS would have sold to them.

They wanted to maximize their profit...

That was CBS's motive. One they seem to have done quite well on.

(personal opinion)- Paramount came into the whole park ownership trying to re-invent the wheel already perfected by Disney and Universal. They bought the parks with the attitude that they knew more about being successful than the previous owners who built them. They did some things very well- in PKI's case, Paramount was very good to bring in (i think) five coasters- three of them record breaking at the time they were constructed. In addition, they brought in other ground-breaking flat rides. And above all- it was a profitable company with no park closings (al la Six Flags).

BTW, back in late 2005 it was noticed by someone the Cedar Fair's CEO was at the park. People on this board were curious as to the reason for the visit; some passed it off as wanting to review Delerium prior to Maxx Air's debut. Opinion... was that the case or was the visit a pre-cursor to purchase????

When Paramount came in they had absolutely no park experience. They had their ideas and so many of them were so far off base it's hard to even explain. They did not listen to the people that had run the parks for years and the parks suffered for it.

That being said... I think we've beat a dead horse. Paramount is gone. Good Riddence.

With all due respect good woofer, but someone who was a food service supervisor knows more about marketing, running, upgrading, promoting, and all the other business aspects of running a 5 property theme park chain than the people Paramount Communications brought in? Not trying to be dis-respectful and even though they may not have had that much experience, what makes you more qualified, and so ready-able to criticize? Like Interpreter said, better an expansion each year than an SLC and six flags over the park. I dont like everything Paramount did but Id rather have them than Premeier, Six Flags, Tierco.

I recall, Wonderland was managed, but not owned by KECO. Lindner was going to dump KECO. KECO owned the lower earning parks. IMHO getting them back together and keeping them together is exciting, even under the Cedar Fair banner. Since this was just an opinion, and has drawn some fire for not being interesting or relevant enough, let this topic die before I post a photo of a bunny with a pancake on it's head. In the mean time, I'm going to go over and read a post about the Coca-Cola Cool Zone, that is if it doesn't keep me awake tonight.

With all due respect good woofer, but someone who was a food service supervisor knows more about marketing, running, upgrading, promoting, and all the other business aspects of running a 5 property theme park chain than the people Paramount Communications brought in? Not trying to be dis-respectful and even though they may not have had that much experience, what makes you more qualified, and so ready-able to criticize? Like Interpreter said, better an expansion each year than an SLC and six flags over the park. I dont like everything Paramount did but Id rather have them than Premeier, Six Flags, Tierco.

So, are you saying you could of done a better job of running 5 parks because you were a food service supervisor? Personally, like I said earlier paramount was in it for one reason, and one reason alone MONEY!!!! Thats what it all boiled down to for them and it definatly looks like they got their money's worth .. Good Ridence thank god Paramount/CBS IS GONE. They no NOTHING about theme park operation!

I totally agree, adding rides like Face/Off, Drop Zone, Son of Beast, trtr, Delerium, Flight of Fear; adding areas like, Action Zone and Nick U, and Boomerang Bay; refurbishing the Royal Fountains; STARTING FEARFEST; expanding the park EVERY year; events like Nights of Fire; adding the Nickelodean Parade; even trying to rekindle Winterfest RIP; Were all abosolutely DEVEASTATING monstrosities and Paramount should have been ashamed for EVER even CONSIDERING any of these decisions. HOW DARE THEY. If they were smart they would have just left it how KECO had it, our last expansion would have been Adventure Express, and I'm sure everyone would be estatic. We would ride the Wild Animal Habitat over and over as we watch the King Cobra crumble before our eyes. I know thats how I wish the park was. And I'm sure this would have made the park so much more appealing to Cedar Fair, they wouldn't be able to resist buying a park without an expansion in 15 years. An update every year, come on we wanted to be like Six Flags. Personally I shutter every night before bed just thinking about the new rides that Paramount put in, and the updates they've made for the park and I have to cry myself to sleep. And its so nice to know that I'm not the only one that thinks this.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm

Yeah, I tried using sarcasm it doesnt really work around here...

So, are you saying you could of done a better job of running 5 parks because you were a food service supervisor? Personally, like I said earlier paramount was in it for one reason, and one reason alone MONEY!!!! Thats what it all boiled down to for them and it definatly looks like they got their money's worth .. Good Ridence thank god Paramount/CBS IS GONE. They no NOTHING about theme park operation!

He's questioning Wolfer's cedibility since he was in food service, Combat isn't in food service.

Realistically, Paramount did great things for the park. They certainly didn't always make the right decisions but who does?

I mean, '93 - Top Gun - can't credit them for the ride, but the themeing was amazing.

'94 - Days of Thunder - Motion sims.. every park should have one.

'95 - Splat City - Beautifully themed all things considered

'96 - FoF - Arguably the enthusiasts' favorite ride in the park, best year ever for PKI in attendance

'97 - Waterworks expansion - How can you argue with a giant wave pool?

'98 - Splat City - Best Kids Area, Golden Ticket Awards, Amusement Today

'99 - Action Zone - Drop Zone and Face/Off, need I say more?

'00 - Son of Beast - Tallest, Fastest, Only Looping Woody. Not perfect, but I think ambition exceeded engineering.

'01 - Nick Central - Did I mention Golden Ticket Awards?

'02 - Tomb Raider - Didn't always work the way we wanted it to, but drew media acclaim.

'03 - Delirium - Wonderful... wonderful ride...

'04 - Boomerang Bay - #1 seasonal theme park in the world

'05 - Italian Job - You can love it or hate it, but you can't help but tilt your hat.

'06 - Nick Universe - Yet another Golden Ticket.

Things I didn't agree with:

Removal of the Tiques in favor of IJ... it screwed up the whole area.

Shutting down the whole entertainment department (basically) to cut costs in 06.

Removal of the Nickelodeon Ampeatheatre.

Whole lotta concrete and not a whole lotta trees...

Overall, Paramount saw the park through some of its best years.

Absolutely.

I think that you had to be part of the KECO Management team to truly understand. Not only were the Directors, Area Managers, Supervisors, Foremen but even line employees were intigral in helping plan and shape the way that things were done. It was "extreme ownership" as I like to think of it. Never would a worker have said "it's not my job or how would I have time to do anything else" in my tenure with the park.

When Paramount came in, they were not interested in listening to what would and what would not work. They had their ideas... and certainly were entitled as they were the owners. They reinvented the wheel so many times I can't even explain.

Sad to say, but KI is a business. We the enthusiasts, guests and employees give it life. We LOVE the place. Every company has to look at the bottom line. When Paramount can get better return on ONE movie (Titanic) than a whole season of a theme park, it's easy to see why they became disenchanted with being a park owner. But to us, KI is more than a collection of buildings and attractions designed to support retail shops, which in fact it is.

The example of Six Flags is frightening. They put in too many thrill rides at too many small parks in areas that couldn't support the investments. In doing so we lost the Texas Cyclone and all of Astroworld.

Why is it important to have KI in a five park chain, or a 12 park chain? The theme park business is affected by so many factors, gas, recession, weather, war, an new attraction that won't work properly....the synergy of a multipark chain will support a park that may be going though a rough patch.

Few companines hold amusements parks for sentimental reasons, Holiday World comes to mind. The family loves that park and it shows. KECO too had sentimental attachments to the parks.

This may be beating a dead horse, but KI as a stand alone park would have been like one wagon trying to make a circle against an Indian attack. There is safety in numbers.

And as a postscript.....ITJ hurts my very soul. Like the death of a favorite relative, I will never get over that one.