FireHawk KI.com Pics

TOPGUN1993

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree they are really moving, I drove by the park yesterday on the way to the lodge and I think you can see Firehawk in the skyline now!

Yah, if you head back behind the lodge, you can get a good, somewhat obstructed, view of the work being done. It was cool to see the track being lifted in the air by the cranes. From the flyover pics, they are working in overdrive to get this coaster up, which makes sense.

Those new pictures are awesome!! I am pumped!! Do you think by any chance it will open earlier than expected? :)

Well the park still needs to wire everything up on Firehawk and painting the hole coaster will take time. I hope KI does not rush to open this coaster.

Those new pictures are awesome!! I am pumped!! Do you think by any chance it will open earlier than expected? :)

Well the park still needs to wire everything up on Firehawk and painting the hole coaster will take time. I hope KI does not rush to open this coaster.

They won't, under no circumstances will they open Firehawk sooner than its scheduled date. They have strategically decided the best time to have Firehawk open and that coincides directly with the start of daily operation on Memorial Day weekend!

And in any case, though they are flying, there is still alot to be done. Always expect the unexpected as well, weather and other unseens are great equalizers.

Yes, there still is a lot to get done between now and the end of May. There is a lot of work to do on the station still. They also have to pour the expansive grout between the footings and the support columns (likely before they paint the ride). They also have to wire everything and subject it to testing. Not to mention that they will need to build the queue for the ride. They have made a lot of progress but they still have quite a lot of work to do.

Take a look at this picture of Face Off. You see that concrete looking stuff immediately below the bearing plate (the horizontal steel plate that the bolts go through)? That is expansive grout. When the supports are first put up, the support is only supported by the bolts. There is a gap between the top of the footing and the bottom of the bearing plate. That is how the supports are like right now on Firehawk. They will eventually come in with expansive grout (like a soupy concrete mix) to fill in this gap between the bearing plate and the footing so that there is a more direct path for the forces to reach the footing and ultimately, the ground.

Does that help? Probably way more information than you wanted to know!

Sorry about that. I have no idea how expensive it is. It is called expansive because it is in a near liquid state so that it expands filling in all the gaps between the bearing plate and the top of the footing. There was a picture of Maverick with plastic covering all of its columns posted somewhere several weeks ago. The plastic was over the supports so that the grout could dry.

I drove by Kings Island today as im on spring break and finally got to come back and take a look at the park. There are still some pieces that have yet to be moved from the parking lot but it really seems like they are going to town on the coaster. I cant wait to see what they have done by the end of the week ;)