Seat Belts on Vortex?

PKIVortex

The seatbelt on Corkscrew isn't that bad. As some of you know I'm a pretty big guy and I had plenty of room with it. Having worked on Vortex, I think the seatbelts would be a good idea. It would ensure that the bar is down to a predetermined position, and prevent some people from leaning way forward to get a really loose bar. Also some really skinny people can actually climb out through the middle of the bar, and the belt might keep the restraint tight enough to make that impossible.

I happen to be one of those people, I can darn near get out of the harness, especially when it moves up a few clicks instead of down! So I for one dont mind the harness belt, realistically I like the idea of more safety, so I am all for something else that makes completely sure that a restraint wont fly open! As for seatbelts, Beast has them I believe, and I really dont mind those so...As long as it adds extra safety!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it is my understanding that The Racer and Beast got seatbelts added because PTC recommended that all of their trains have seat belts.

I`m all for safety. I just question how the belts will impact the speed of loading the ride, and the result it will have on capacity. Will it be like on The Racer and Beast, where they just have to visually confirm that the seatbelt is fastened, or like on Face Off, Drop Zone Delirium, Tomb Raider and FoF, will they have to physically check the seat belt. Also, will they have to buckle all the belts on empty seats?

^MY dad was telling me a story about how one time he was riding it and the restraint just came completely loose. But with the expert crew they stopped the ride and got it handled. I have had instances where the harness has come loose about 2 notches but nothing worse than that.

About the only other ride i can see getting seatbelts is Top Gun. Does anyone know if Avatar has seatbelts?

The restraints sometimes would come up a little, but it wasn't cause it was unlocked. If you had the bar down between clicks that's what it did it would move up and down.

I don't believe Avatar has Seat Belts. What bout Express could they add them to Express? Also does Iron Dragon at CP still don't have Seat Belts? If Iron Dragon still don't have them, I don't see Top Gun getting them.

Something I always like about B&M coasters is that they have the safety belt that hooks in to horsecollar. Always a nice fail safe. Wouldn't mind seeing that come to all looping coasters that have OTSR, just makes a chance of a freak accident less likely.

KI Rides with Seat Belts

-Beast

-Racer

-FOF

-Plantons

-Beastie

-Deli

-DZ

-F/O

-WWC

-Scambler

-TRTR*****

Cedar Point Rides with Seat Belts

-Blue Streak

-Mean Streak

-CorkScrew

-WildCat

-Power Tower

-Mantis

-Raptor

-WT

-Gemini

-Magnum

-MF

-TTD

-SkyHawk

-MaXair

-Maverick

-Thunder Canyon

-Cedar Creek Mine Ride

-Woodstock Express

-Giant Wheel

would the seat belts really make that much of a difference in load time? There are some inept people out there, but surely they can figure out a seatbelt. It takes no time to check them as you are checking the actual restraints. Cedar Fair is overly cautious with rider safety, so the height requirement changes and seat belts don't come as a suprise to me.

My only concern is that it will restrict the ability for bigger people to ride. I'm a bigger guy, not overly huge but not small either. I have no problems riding B&M coasters in the non-big boy seats. However I do have issues with Drop Zone, I literally have to be stapled in the seat in able to ride. I just hope I won't have any problems with Vortex this season, I have a feeling we will be getting the seat belts.

If the seat belts go from the restraints down to the seat, I believe people who are bigger will be absolutely fine. However, it's when you go from left side to right side, (or vice versa) is when you will have a bit of an issue on certain rides.

According to a post on carowindsconnection, the belts differ on Cyclone then what's on Corkscrew. The buckle is on the bottom of the restraint and they are a retractable belt on the seat.

So... Theres a seatbelt that goes over the lap, and another one similar to the Corkscrew seat belt?

No belt that goes over the lap, just one that connects to the OTSR, but the design of it will differ from the one on Corkscrew. They will be a buckle mounted on the end of the OTSR, and mounted in the seat will be a restartable belt, which will buckle to the end of the OTSR.

The arrangement down at Carowinds sounds like what Valleyfair did with their Corkscrew. If they install it the same way Valleyfair did, the shoulder bar will be a more restricting factor than the new belt. I sat down and pulled at least a foot of belt out of the retractor lowered the shoulder bar, fastened the belt, and when the excess strap slipped back into the retractor the belt left exposed was barely past the part that has all the stitiches that holds the metal tip on the end.

And I consider myself to be a person of size. If it gives you an idea, I can just barely fit on Drop Zone.

The arrangement down at Carowinds sounds like what Valleyfair did with their Corkscrew. If they install it the same way Valleyfair did, the shoulder bar will be a more restricting factor than the new belt. I sat down and pulled at least a foot of belt out of the retractor lowered the shoulder bar, fastened the belt, and when the excess strap slipped back into the retractor the belt left exposed was barely past the part that has all the stitiches that holds the metal tip on the end.

And I consider myself to be a person of size. If it gives you an idea, I can just barely fit on Drop Zone.

You are exactly right...

Would that mean a belt that acts as a backup if the shoulder harness failed? (One like on Delirium?) I love Vortex, but I must admit, for some reason (call me nuts) but I always have a quick fear of flying out of my car when cresting that hill right after the loops (before the turn into the corkscrew). I've thought that a little "seat-to-harness" belt would make it even more enjoyable. But, then again, I've never heard of a restraint failure on Vortex, and a little fear on a coaster is what thrill's all about B)