Working at the park.

pkitrumpet08

Alright so I remember when I was younger I used to walk around the park and think about how cool it would be to work there, and I always remember how much I respected the people who worked in the park.

These days people treat the workers like trash and I really wonder if I was insane for ever giving the workers at the park respect.

Has anyone else ever thought that guests treat employees badly? Or has anyone thought that the employees deserve respect for who they are and what they do?

Guest faceoff

I do believe all park employees should be treated with respect. Being that i love amusement

parks and i am a nice person-this is something i do all the time. From the front desk person

of the hotel, park employees and the cleaning staff. They do work hard,so that we may have fun.

I am looking forward to opening weekend and can't wait to check into the hotel,which is only 1/4

mile away from Kings Island.

Yes, service people are treated badly by all too many people. It's the same way in retail. I always try to treat people the way I would want to be treated...and I've found one often gets as good as one gives.

Park jobs aren't easy. I should know. I worked one nearly thirty years ago now. And even back then, there were occasional rear ends who tried to make my job miserable. Such is life.

You`d be surprised how some parents can get so rude and cross with you as a ride operator for enforcing the height requirements or park rules. Then there are the snotty kids that you have to yell at and kick off the ride for spitting on the ride.

But, after working at Coney for five years, I have enjoyed every minute of it. Seeing kids coming off of the rides with big grins on their faces, parents ad kids laughing and having fun together, and many other experiences has more than made up for the negative sides of the job. Which is why I might be returning on weekends this summer to the ride department at Coney.

One of my most memorable moments at Coney came when I was working the Spin-A-Ree (this was back in 2004 I believe). The park was empty because it had stormed earlier in the day, but we stayed open because the Boys and Girls Club was coming in that evening to spend the last couple of hours riding the rides. One of the kids recognized me from the year before and stated something along the lines of "You`re that nice guy that was running helicopters last year." The kid couldn`t have been much older than 6 years old, but it was quite remarkable that he had created such a strong memory at Coney and remembered me as part of that experience.

There are days when as a rides op, that people just get so rude with me, it can completely ruin my day. They get rude over enforcing height restrictions, rides being closed, having to wait in line...the list goes on.

But its the amazing kids, who smile after facing their fear of Avatar, or the littlest ones laughing their heads of at Swipers Sweepers, and the parents who understand that I'm just doing my job, that make the whole deal worth it. I can only remember a few rude incidents, but you can't forget all of the smiling kids who are having an amazing day, because of you. The good days definately make up for the bad. :D

I think this is how it goes. A guest gets off I71 to wait 1hr to get through the tolls because only one is open. Then they have to wait 1 hr to get their pass and get through the metal detectors. Then they find that there are rides closed and they see the price of food.

All this time the fury is building up to be unleashed on the first employee that they feel made the wrong move.

If you are going to treat people with respect and get it in return it has to start at the tolls. ;)

True, the experience starts with the skyline and the tolls, but that being told, Ive never had that bad of a visit to Kings Island. Not even close, and I've gone probably on every day one person could possibly go. Bring a friend free days are close...but not all that bad, usually the park is well staffed...on days I've went at least.

I am not an park worker, But lets face it we don't know what kind of day anyone is having while working or enjoying rides. Maybe an angry worker has a sick family member on their mind or maybe the angry dad has just lost his keys or wallet. We don't know their stories. I do hope all the workers have a great season.

Me too! And even more importantly, that the guests enjoy themselves! Afterall thats the only reason that KI would ever exist, without them we dont have a park. This year though, should be amazing. Ive already met so many coworkers and went lasertagging with them, having not even worked a ride yet! It truly seems to be a great community of mostly people there for the right reasons. With the addition of Firehawk and the possible opening of SBNO this year, there is no reason for this year, the 35th anniversary, to not be the greatest year yet!

Ive already met so many coworkers and went lasertagging with them, having not even worked a ride yet!

I still hang with friends I made while working rides in the early 80s. That was over 25 years ago. KI is a good place for anyone to work. Matter of fact Myself, him and his wife go to KI together all the time. Also still have friends I hangout with when I worked there in the 90's also in the Entertainment dept. So to sum it up, my last 25 years experience working at the park has been a big part of my life, Now I have 2 kids who work there and both of them love it and have some higher up positions now.

Oh yeah! Talking about people having bad attitudes! Everytime I would go to subway over by The Racer I would get horrible service and very unfriendly workers wait on me so I quit going there.

I have spent very much time as both a Kings Island employee and as a guest. As many park employees are age 16-18, they may not have the life experience of an older person/guest or employee, and may either take their job for granted or not fully realize their role at the park. Some of these teens go to work there looking at the "fun part" of the job, but not really seeing the demands of the job, nor of those they serve.

Guests coming to a large park with a long-running reputation have greater expectations than many other types of entertainment or services. Most likely, a guest, amongst their family, is making their only visit of the year - quite possibly even their very first visit. Paying $10 to park, they expect to make their way through tolls in a timely matter, and to the closest available parking space without much hassle. Paying up to $40 per person to enter the park, they expect to enter (again) quickly through metal detectors and turnstiles, walk on clean midways, and stand in efficient-moving lines, so they don't have to wait any longer than really necessary. And, knowing that food and drink prices, there are certainly expectations for fast service and good a quality product.

I can definitely understand somebody's frustration when an aspect of the experience fails to meet expectations. Even as a pass holder, I can disappointed when less toll lanes are open than needed, when I see lots of seats on coaster trains (especially Face/Off) go empty, or when food service workers are moving at a slower pace, even when there is great demand. I'm sure it can't be any better for a medium to large-sized family making their sole visit of the year.

Unfortunately, sometimes it causes some of these guests to lash out, either through rudeness or even trying to circumvent (sometimes unknowingly) some rules; smoking in areas they used to be allowed to do so, walking through the park shirtless (or no shorts on female swimsuits). The instance of a child not being tall enough to ride must be understanably crushing. At the same time, there are the guests who know better that can get upset when they feel the rules arent totally enforced, like the smoking policy, or even the rare (or sometimes not-so rare) instance of "that little kid rode, why not mine?!"

What I can say to someone considering working at Kings Island or another amusement/theme park? Look beyond the "fun appeal," because like at any retail store or fast food joint, or just about any other service-oriented business, the customers are demanding, and probably more than at establisments outside the park. If you can't take things the heat, long hours, and rude and/or frustrating people, look elsewhere for work. On the other hand, if you are looking for a job where you love to help people have one of their best days, or even "turn that frown upside down," and you feel that doing so makes you better, then go for it!

Yes some people will get upset at the workers, heck I have been given the middle finger for asking someone if they wanted to play Age and Weight, unfortunately that is part of the job and I just ignored it and moved on. A job at an amusement park is only for some people, my friends still make fun of me for how much I like my job.

A job at an amusement park is only for some people,

That pretty much sums it up for all jobs that deal with people period. Although I do not like everytime I walk past a game someone is saying come play or whatever but I wouldnt flip them off.

However like you said though yourself, we are simply doing our job. And there are those people who do play games and we can smile and be kind to them and make their park experience slightly better.

I won't have any problems. Excuse me for being confident but...I am an ASA licensed umpire for MCYBSA! I'm very, very used to handling people and situations!

Cory, you can never say you won't have problems. I have been with the park and I sometimes think I've seen and heard all the complaints, but then something happens. You will have upset folks and you will have folks yell. You just have to deal with each situation as it comes. As gamesguy08 said, sometimes you just have to keep moving on. Don't let one thing bother you, if you do, inevitably it will drag your whole day down.

I won't have any problems. Excuse me for being confident but...I am an ASA licensed umpire for MCYBSA! I'm very, very used to handling people and situations!

Cory, you can never say you won't have problems. I have been with the park and I sometimes think I've seen and heard all the complaints, but then something happens. You will have upset folks and you will have folks yell. You just have to deal with each situation as it comes. As gamesguy08 said, sometimes you just have to keep moving on. Don't let one thing bother you, if you do, inevitably it will drag your whole day down.

I won't have any problems with "handling situations" allow me to clarify. In umpiring you see the worst of the worst, you have angry everything. Maybe not the parents at your game but another game that you have to go straighten out. You have people come to the parks just to creat trouble...even from out of town. If you want to get the best experience at handling people I would suggest umpiring..or working at a park. Im sure I will have problems...just none with handling those problems!

It's does get crazy down there.

Yes it does Paul, you live in M-burg so you know how it is! It never gets tiring wrestling people before the cops can get to the park, or keeping parents from beating the _ _ _

- out of their kids for swinging 'n missing. Or having to articulate yourself to a parent so he doesnt come after you. Or even the stuck up self righteous kids that are just down there to cause trouble. Ive seen fellow umpires have rocks thrown at them, beverages dumped, even assaulted many years ago. At least at KI...you cant get a porta potty tipped over while your in it...;)

Yep, once in retail I had an upset customer pour a root beer, complete with ice, over my head!

You can't say you are going to work with the public AND not have any problems. That's an oxymoron...

Yes it is an oxymoron, Im sure I WILL have problems with the public just as I did in umpiring...although not directly in some cases because I was one of few down there who knew what they were doing and correct procedure! What I meant was I shouldn't have any problem dealing with the problems. You follow procedure, stay grounded, put yourself in their shoes, be courtious, give and take, and NEVER get heated....and you handle them like any other day. Everything personal that they say to you, you cant mind, it doesnt matter. Now unless it is a complaint about something else then it does of course matter!

Yes they are supplying pants and shorts as they did in the past which is a good thing. When people had to supply their own no one ever really matched...lol.. This way things stay tidy. And CF has a strict dress code which is good. No more seeing employees with pants too big and down past their butts....

Yes they are supplying pants and shorts as they did in the past which is a good thing. When people had to supply their own no one ever really matched...lol.. This way things stay tidy. And CF has a strict dress code which is good. No more seeing employees with pants too big and down past their butts....

VERY strict dress code, which I am quite happy for! however, I dont particularly like the no cell phone rule. Im one of those people that always has the ringer turned off, and hates it when peoples phones go off in meetings or other gatherings. So I dont use it unless I have too. To me, if it was in a cargo pocket and never out I dont see the big deal. I have some family members with some problems right now and it would be nice to have my cell handi in case someone had an emergency. I wouldnt pick it up, but getting that message on my cell in an hour or two is better than not knowing at all, or having to immediatly desert my job because someone called the park to reach me. I guess Im just in that responsible minority. I know some people would have no problem just whipping out their cell phone regardless of occasion.