Why did we get X-Flight from Geauga Lake?

Firehawk1189

One thing thats been bothering me for awhile is why we got x-flight from geagua lake. That ride was still kind of new at geauga lake and the park is only 3 hours awy from Kings Island. Tons of people have already rode it from all around ohio. They should have gotten a ride that isnt in the eastern part of the united states.

CF could be sending a few messages with this:

#1 is that GL's days might be numbered as a hard park. It looks like the big attractions are being moved out, but going to different parks.

#2 CF is trying to update the rides list at KI. While the list of overall attractions is great, KI is still lacking some types of coasters, and it could be that Firehawk is just the start.

Also, many ENTHUSIASTS have been to GL. But how many blue collar, 2.5 kids, married families have been to GL? Remember, in this business you dont play completely to the enthusiasts, but to the family of 4, because they spend more money in the long run.

Yeah, most people in Cincy have never even HEARD of Geauga Lake! Case in point...

In high school a few years ago (when X-Flight was in operational, and the park had changed the name back the year before), I saw a friend of mine wearing a Geauga Lake sweatshirt. I asked how the park was, and he gave me a blank stare. Turns out, he had gotten the sweatshirt as a gift, and never had been to, nor even heard of the park.

Again, just because you have been there doesn't mean a good portion of people have. A VERY small percent of people in Cincy have even heard of Geauga Lake. Usually when you say "amusement park in northern Ohio" they think of Cedar Point. No mention of Geauga Lake.

As they said, Cedar Fair is looking to drastically shape Geauga Lake to what they want it to be. Weather that means shaping it into a more family friendly park or wiping it off the map is still up to them. Kings Island is obviously lacking in steel coasters for teens/adults oriented. FoF is great, The Vortex is older, Firehawk is fresh, and will meake a great improvement to the park.

Why they moved it to Kings Island and not somewhere else? 300 trucks from there to Kings Island is allot cheaper than there to Texas.

According to Kinzel on his conference call they removed X-Flight and Steel Venom to, "Create a more welcoming extrance to the park."

Take that for what it's worth.

Ryan

Hmmm...Interesting... I wonder what kind of entrance they think Face/Off makes to the entrance to KI?

According to Kinzel on his conference call they removed X-Flight and Steel Venom to, "Create a more welcoming extrance to the park."

Take that for what it's worth.

Ryan

Hmmm...Interesting... I wonder what kind of entrance they think Face/Off makes to the entrance to KI?

One that pumps you up for the day ahead of you.

As they said, Cedar Fair is looking to drastically shape Geauga Lake to what they want it to be. Weather that means shaping it into a more family friendly park or wiping it off the map is still up to them. Kings Island is obviously lacking in steel coasters for teens/adults oriented. FoF is great, The Vortex is older, Firehawk is fresh, and will meake a great improvement to the park.

Why they moved it to Kings Island and not somewhere else? 300 trucks from there to Kings Island is allot cheaper than there to Texas.

Not to mention that Cedar Fair owns exactly zero parks in Texas...and Six Flags has fewer than it once did! :)

You'd be cheap too if you owed others $2 billion.

Besides, this was NOT cheap...it was barely less expensive than buying a new Flying Dutchman from Vekoma and installing it.

You will see what cheap is when the park opens. I can assure you, Cedar Fair is NOT cheap. Far from it.

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!!

...which is no doubt consistent with Mr. Kinzel's statements that Geauga Lake needs a "smaller footprint." Not.

I don't see any "bigger attraction" going on the dry side at Geauga Lake for quite some time. Especially now that Steel Venom is taking an ultimate flight, apparently to the Keystone State.

Yeah, most people in Cincy have never even HEARD of Geauga Lake! Case in point...

In high school a few years ago (when X-Flight was in operational, and the park had changed the name back the year before), I saw a friend of mine wearing a Geauga Lake sweatshirt. I asked how the park was, and he gave me a blank stare. Turns out, he had gotten the sweatshirt as a gift, and never had been to, nor even heard of the park.

Again, just because you have been there doesn't mean a good portion of people have. A VERY small percent of people in Cincy have even heard of Geauga Lake. Usually when you say "amusement park in northern Ohio" they think of Cedar Point. No mention of Geauga Lake.

Really? Almost everyone up here knows about Kings Island and they all know that X-FLight is being shipped down there. I would think that with it being the mega Six FLags park a few years ago, people would know bout it.

Guest TombraiderTy

I never heard of Geauga Lake until the rumors of us getting X-Flight, and it turned out I had been to it when I was a little kid!

Maybe it's the first of some major installments over the next few years? Let's hope! -Hauntguy

I'm with you HauntGuy. There had been a rumor that was started, and pretty much stayed, with the building of Italian Job. Paramount wanted to try and make KI the Disney of the midwest. HUGE mistake on their part. KI has always been a thrill park and hopefully will always stay that way.

Firehawk should be great. I've ridden it's smaller sister in Carowinds (Borg: Assimilator). Was lots of fun. But, I think it was only a single load station. Rode it the first year it was there.

Cedar Fair is very very far from Cheap. At Cedar Point you would be better off to leave the park and go buy something elsewhere to eat because everything up there is very high priced. We had a buffett type deal for about 13 bucks a person. i just hope that they do not raise Kings Island's food prices any higher than they are right now.

Maybe it's the first of some major installments over the next few years? Let's hope! -Hauntguy

I'm with you HauntGuy. There had been a rumor that was started, and pretty much stayed, with the building of Italian Job. Paramount wanted to try and make KI the Disney of the midwest. HUGE mistake on their part. KI has always been a thrill park and hopefully will always stay that way.

Firehawk should be great. I've ridden it's smaller sister in Carowinds (Borg: Assimilator). Was lots of fun. But, I think it was only a single load station. Rode it the first year it was there.

walt disney helped with the layout of Kings Island.

Cedar Fair is very very far from Cheap. At Cedar Point you would be better off to leave the park and go buy something elsewhere to eat because everything up there is very high priced. We had a buffett type deal for about 13 bucks a person. i just hope that they do not raise Kings Island's food prices any higher than they are right now.

Does not matter about the food. Anything these days cost a lot, not only theme or amusement parks, sporting events concerts and the rest of life...lol... I also wish they were cheaper, especially the beer...hehehe, however people will pay whatever prices are in front of them.