Parking Pass - Not Right

Lauch

There's not that many parks that I'm aware of that don't charge for parking...at least not that I've been to. There's probably a reason for that, but in the long run, I would guess it's all about money...whether it's tax reasons or generating revenue. I'd say it's a combination of several things which result in higher money intake.

Kennywood has free parking but I wouldn't park my car in it. Universal was free after 5pm but I don't know if it still is.

Just looked at Universal and says after 6pm is free now.

Why not use the Kennywood free parking? They have a FREE skyride that goes up the hilltop where the FREE parking is located. Adds a unique novel touch when you ride the skyride down to the park when you arrivem then back up to the parking lot whenyou leave. All in all your walk is shorter than if you park in the pay lot,

Kennywood has free parking but I wouldn't park my car in it. Universal was free after 5pm but I don't know if it still is.

Just looked at Universal and says after 6pm is free now.

Why not use the Kennywood free parking? They have a FREE skyride that goes up the hilltop where the FREE parking is located. Adds a unique novel touch when you ride the skyride down to the park when you arrivem then back up to the parking lot whenyou leave. All in all your walk is shorter than if you park in the pay lot,

Every time I have been there the skyride was not running and if you parked up there you would be the only one. When you walk back up there you may find parts of your car missing. :lol:

I don't think the skyride has run since the last guy fell off.

I always use Kennywood's free parking. And I have NEVER, EVER parked on the hilltop nor ridden the skyride. The extreme ends of the lower parking lot are both free. Why pay? The walk from the parking lot to the park is certainly far shorter than the walk from Kings Island's front gate to even Drop Zone...

Other parks that offer free parking include(d) Holiday World, Memphis Kiddie Park, Idlewild, Camden Park, American (RIP), DelGrossos, Waldamere, Coneaut Lake, Knoebels, indiana Beach & Lakemont Park. That is Just Ohio, PA, WV & Indiana. I am sure there are more.

Every time I have been there the skyride was not running and if you parked up there you would be the only one. When you walk back up there you may find parts of your car missing. :lol:

I don't think the skyride has run since the last guy fell off.

I used the Skyride (Kenny's Skyway) at Kennywood just last year. Of course I did happen to go on a Saturday, (hey that was the only way the trip would work), and Kennywood was pretty packed that day. The hilltop lot was packed with cars, but we figured ourselves lucky to find an aisle space free almost right accross from the Skyway station. So yes I know the skyway was running. Note to future visitors, you don't want the main aisle space in a dirt/gravel parking lot. The car was maroon when it entered the lot, and brown when it left the lot...

I did go back later that season, and the hilltop lot was closed when we arrived, and we did opt to park on one of the ends of the main lower lot, that is also free. In fact we parked just beyond the fence seperating free from pay lot, and there is a fenced in walkway right to the gate without having to dodge cars. Very nice setup.

The question remains - why pay to park at Kennywood?

BTW: About the skyride incident and the mentally challenged guest, if I recall correctly that happened on the skyride at Knoebels Grove. You might want to redirect your sebsearches to that skyride. It has also since reopened as I rode that skyride at Phoenix Phall Phun Phest.

I got a parking pass, but I'd feel happier about it if they actually made it seem like you're getting something for that money. The parking lot for KI doesn't look like it's been re-paved in years and is bumpier than the SOB. The last few times I've gone the Trams have not been running. It just seems like the high parking price should go towards a comfortable parking experience.

Other parks that offer free parking include(d) Holiday World, Memphis Kiddie Park, Idlewild, Camden Park, American (RIP), DelGrossos, Waldamere, Coneaut Lake, Knoebels, indiana Beach & Lakemont Park. That is Just Ohio, PA, WV & Indiana. I am sure there are more.

Idlewild does not have free parking. Instead, you pay your admission fee to enter even the parking lot! Americana, at least in its last years, did NOT have free parking.

Conneaut Lake has one free parking lot, far from the gate, that most people don't notice. The other, much more convenient lots, are two dollars. Camden Park does not have free parking (at least not when they feel like collecting the three dollar parking fee). It's been about four or five years since Camden had free parking (ride tickets are also no longer available, but then the toilets are no longer a nickel, either!)

I got a parking pass, but I'd feel happier about it if they actually made it seem like you're getting something for that money. The parking lot for KI doesn't look like it's been re-paved in years and is bumpier than the SOB.

Do you believe that the revenue generated from the parking fee is only for the parking lot costs & maintenance?

But that also means that 3 cars could park for the price of pass one on any given day.

You can do that even still with one pass. As another person mentioned, they have to keep the parking pass active so that you can leave to go get food or other things and get back in the park.

You could simply drive in, get out of the car, walk up to the drop off zone, board another car, drive in. Rinse and Repeat.

If you are out to save money on parking its still easy.

But that also means that 3 cars could park for the price of pass one on any given day.

You can do that even still with one pass. As another person mentioned, they have to keep the parking pass active so that you can leave to go get food or other things and get back in the park.

You could simply drive in, get out of the car, walk up to the drop off zone, board another car, drive in. Rinse and Repeat.

If you are out to save money on parking its still easy.

That is EXACTLY what people were doing at CP, and why we were almost forced to go with the windshield only pass.

If you bought your Kings Island season pass or a Maxx pass FROM Kings Island last fall, it has free parking on the pass, once processed. It's also on your temporary pass.

I beg to differ....I bought my passes during FearFest in October..and had to pay the $34.95 for parking. I was told since I had skipped the 2006 season...that I didn't qualify for free parking...even though I had been a pass holder since the mid 80's.

If you bought your Kings Island season pass or a Maxx pass FROM Kings Island last fall, it has free parking on the pass, once processed. It's also on your temporary pass.

I beg to differ....I bought my passes during FearFest in October..and had to pay the $34.95 for parking. I was told since I had skipped the 2006 season...that I didn't qualify for free parking...even though I had been a pass holder since the mid 80's.

Only person you should be begging to is the KI Gods! Cause that is not that way it works!

• 1 month later...

If you buy a pass now, or if your Maxx pass is from, say, Carowinds, you must purchase season pass parking if you want it, at $34.99. It goes on the pass, not the vehicle. A lot of parents, when faced with this situation, put the parking on their kids' passes.

This is the FIRST year the park has had this season pass system. I think it is a pretty safe bet the parks will be checking photos to see that the passholder with season parking is in the car.

Different park, different chain, but at Dollywood they are VERY careful to do this. They cover it by nicely welcoming the passholder to the park by name: "Good to have you back, Mr. Terpy!"

Parking last year was not given to everyone simply because they purchased it last year it was given to everyone who had it processed before the season ended. Before the season ended in 06 there were guests who showed up to process their passes and the lines were so long that those guests who did not want to wait had their season pass tickets stamped with a red dot. This showed the season pass office that they had attempted to process their pass before the deadline ended and that they could still have the free parking. The policy is that the season parking pass goes on one persons season pass and that person must be in the vehicle when the pass is presented for free intrance to parking. If someone told anyone that it was OK to use someone else's season pass for parking or anything else they were given false information. I can also assure everyone that your picture does show up at tolls when the pass is scanned to see if it has parking attached to it.

I went today with a few friends. I was the only one who had parking on my Gold Pass as I got it last year. The attendant didn't even look to see if I was in the car. I was in the back seat. But I still wouldn't try to use someone else's pass to park for free, if caught I'd bet that pass would be revoked.

Yet another example of the differences between most parks and Dollywood. I have NEVER used my gold Season Pass at Dollywood for parking when I have not been greeted BY NAME by the parking attendant, who cheerfully checked my face in such a way that most guests would just interpret as being friendly and upbeat.

To me they can solve this problem very easily. Let us say you are a family of 4 and purchase a season parking pass along with your season passes to get into the gate. You have your season passes to get into the front gate with your picture on it. Well they could issue a seperate card for season parking pass, and offer you the family package (as someone said $10 more or not) On that pass they put all 4 of your pictures. that way if I don't go but my wife and 2 kids go they can still use the season parking pass. It doesn't make sense to me that I have to buy a season parking pass for each person in my family when most of the time we would all be together. There can be that instance when I won't be going and my wife and 2 kids would go.

OK, time for the person with actual experience in the Admissions department to step it....

If you have four family members, and you buy one parking pass, then the parking pass gets put on one of the family member's passes. To solve the problem of "what if my son/daughter comes with a different family member each time" case, what a lot of people do is have the parking pass put on their son/daughter's pass. That way, it doesn't matter whether mom or dad are driving them in, as long as the kid is in the car they will get free parking.