It's Kings Island Time!

Spring is here! For those of you who are native to the Greater Cincinnati area, then you know that the long-awaited summer is right around the corner and summer just isn’t summer without a visit (or several visits in a lot of cases) to Kings Island.

While no longer under the Paramount banner, the park has returned to its roots of being known as simply Kings Island for the 2007 season. This is a result of Paramount Parks, Inc. being purchased by Cedar Fair, LP for approximately $1.24 billion. Cedar Fair, LP is a limited partnership that owns and operates twelve amusement parks, five outdoor water parks, an indoor water park and six hotels, headquartered in Sandusky, OH. The some of the most notable properties of Cedar Fair, LP being Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH, Geauga Lake in Aurora, OH, and Knott’s Berry Farm in Buena Park, CA.

Change is sometimes for the better, and Kings Island certainly proves that this year. The most impressive change that Kings Island is offering its thrill seekers this year is the addition of the new ‘flying’ coaster Firehawk. Firehawk has riders lay in a suspended flying position as it coasts through over a half mile of track and five inversions. The ride will be located near Flight of Fear in the Coney Mall section and debuts Memorial Day weekend! KICentral.com has been following the construction process and you can view the construction from start to finish by clicking here.

Want to settle your stomach after a thrilling ride on Firehawk? Relax and enjoy one of Kings Island’s five new shows for the 2007 season: Dora’s Sing-A-Long Adventure, which debuts in the Nick Theatre on April 21st, Hot Island Rhythms featuring the carefree songs of summer vacation will also debut on April 21st in the International Bandstand, Twistin' to the 60's opens June 23rd in the International Showplace and invites guests of the park to ‘twist and shout. Come ready for hugs and smiles as The Nicktoons Live at Five debuts on June 16th at the International Bandstand this meet-and-greet with the characters is certainly going to be a kids’ favorite. The crown jewel will be the Endless Summer on Ice Celebration in the Paramount Theatre featuring ice dancing, signing, and popular music and it begins June 9th!

If all of that entertainment makes you hungry, Kings Island is offering more food choices for 2007 as well. Panda Express is an Asian restaurant that will debut in the Festhaus in late spring featuring dishes such as Kung Pao Chicken, Sweet and Sour Pork, fried and steamed rice and crisp spring rolls. Fontana Bistro is another new eatery for the new season featuring fresh-fruit smoothies, Jolly Rancher frozen drinks and gourmet pretzels. If that’s not enough, visit Midway Treats and Eats in Coney Mall, which will serve delicious made-to-order Panini sandwich grilled to perfection. Prefer a classic? Visit Bubba Gump’s Shrimp Shack where they now serve crab cakes, or even Lt. Dan’s Back Porch Bar serves up deep fried pretzels, mega nachos, boneless wings and ice-cold beer every single day!

The park opens weekends at 10am on Saturday, April 21st. Daily operation begins Wednesday, May 23rd with Boomerang Bay Waterpark opening Saturday, May 26th. For more information, visit KICentral.com or the park's official web site PKI.com.

Update: To see photos of opening day including the LaRosa's Grand Reopening, Dora's Sing-a-Long Adventure, Hot Island Rhythms, Firehawk construction and Son of Beast track work click here.

Have fun guys. Wish I was there, but I am still waiting for my tax return so I can get my Maxx Pass Plus w/ Parking and Joe Cool from CP. I will be down sometime early in the season though. I was at WDW early in February, so I am not suffering the normal Coaster Withdrawl Syndrome that I usually have this time of the year.

I love the fact that I get CP, Geauga Lake and KI all for one price now, as opposed to almost $300 for all three like I paid in the past. Gotta love Dedar Fair.

Ride Beast for me!!

Scotty

I just got back from opening day. I had a blast- the park looks amazing and the first Beast ride of the year was extremely satisfying. The Island Rhythms show was rockin' and Firehawk looks amazing- can't wait to ride it. The only problem for today was the massive crowds in the afternoon, and the fact the many rides kept temporarily closing (Which might be normal in the beginging of the year?). It was a beautiful and exciting day to start off the year!

I just got in the door from KI it was very busy. One thing I saw that SOB has some new track where the loop was. You can see it from on top of the tower and I took a picture but will have to wait for it as it was on 35mm film. I will post it as soon as I get my flim back.

The inside of LaRosa`s on International Street looked nice (new updated materials). But it was the same general layout and set up as it has always been.

While there has been some construction done on Son of Beast, I don`t know if the park even knows when Son of Beast will be ready. I highly doubt it will be ready by Memorial day weekend.

Other observations from my day at the park today:

-Almost all the trash cans have the Kings Island logo applied to them.

-As has been mentioned before, Adventure Express, Top Gun, Vortex (I`ve also heard Shake Rattle and Roll, but didn`t ride it) got seat belts this year.

-The remote control cars by Adventure Express have been removed and replaced with some landscaping and benches.

-The remote control boats on the lake across from Lt. Dan`s bar have been removed. Some fish food dispensers reside in that area though.

-The movie posters in Action Zone have given way to posters advertising attractions at Kings Island. One includes a large Ryan (Boddah1994) for the FearFest banner.

-There was a lot of new paint to be seen around the park. Most of the midway game stands in Coney Mall had bright new paint. Also, Shake, Rattle and Roll received a fresh coat of paint.

-The Coca-Cola Cool Zone by The Beast entrance has been removed. This allows for a direct connection with the exit and entrance of the ride in the old location of the cool zones. It really opens up The Beast exit area, and will make walking around for re-rides easier on light days.

-Several of the chain link fences in the Action Zone have been removed.