Seat belts take over

Cody

^ Has anyone else ever experienced anything of the sort on Vortex? I mean, I've seen the OTSR click a few times, and that dosent bother me. Honestly folks, is that even possible? :huh: -- I just have a quick question for anyone that knows. Do the new seatbelts keep it possible for larger guests to keep riding? -- just a thought, because I remember when CP installed belts on the lapbars belonging to MF... Sadly, it kept me from riding, and I'm not even that big of a guy (~250lbs) :(

No, the safety belts on Vortex and Top Gun are not a problem for me, and I'm 6'2, 285-ish. The flap is on a small coil on the seat, and is about 6" long. It's not fixed like it is on Face/Off, but does have some play in it. The safety belts do not affect the quality of the ride one bit.

BTW, if any of you on here were working the viking ship today with the group doing the "Marco Polo" and "Chuck Norris," that was me and my friends.

Guest kwindshawne
WOW

I'm supposing that this is not something that is uncommon on Vortex. Now I've ridden Vortex hundreds of times and it generally is not a problem. But there was a time when the harness came up considerably. I just thought it was my imagination. Maybe not?

I am small enough I could get out without much trouble-I am not a really small person, just the way I am built-would not be difficult.....

Oh come on. This is just an excuse to complain about the new owners...About ANYTHING.

Seat Belts are a part of a lot of major amusement parks coasters now. Busch Gardens for example.

It reinforces safety measures, and this should be applauded, not looked down upon. I am sure that everyone who took part in the last ride of Son of Beast would be glad to hear that Cedar Fair is taking new measures to ensure everyones safety. And if something happened to anyone complaining about them, they would be too. And I will bet that when Son of Beast Reopens ( someday ) it will probably have seatbelts. This is not an issue involving proper management. This is an issue involving maturity, and realizing what is more important.

Don't expect for my opinion to change. This is my first and last posting on this topic.

m.f.21

Oh come on. This is just an excuse to complain about the new owners...About ANYTHING.

Seat Belts are a part of a lot of major amusement parks coasters now. Busch Gardens for example.

It reinforces safety measures, and this should be applauded, not looked down upon. I am sure that everyone who took part in the last ride of Son of Beast would be glad to hear the Cedar Fair is taking new measures to ensure everyones safety. And if something happened to anyone complaining about them, they would be too. This is not an issue involving proper management. This is an issue involving maturity, and realizing what is more important.

Don't expect for my opinion to change. This is my first and last posting on this topic.

m.f.21

I applode you for that.

Park of the fun of riding roller coasters is airtime, sliding in the seats and the element of danger of falling out. Now we are locked tight into the cars like we are going to an execution.

They (Cedar Fair) have taken 90% of the fun out of riding them now.

90% of fun taken out of the rides eh? Wow. So your saying that because of seat belts we should all just demand refunds on our season passes, and threaten with a class action law suit that Kings Island advertises thrill rides that just aren't there. ( of course I'm kidding ) And according to the quote above, we should probably get rid of the restraints too, cause they are obviously the other 10% of not having fun on the rides. ( once again, I am joking )

Seriously now, this is pathetic. Seat belts have been placed onto the rides for safety. And I am sure that research has been performed to encourage the decision. Despite that, doesn't it seem to fit the common sense category that these rides should be made as safe as possible. This forum should not even exist. This is a pointless waste of electricity, and a waste of brain space. I would prefer it that this was not part of my lifes memory.

^Exactly. There is nothing wrong with seat belts being added to the rides. It just helps in the very unlikely case that something out of the ordinary does in fact happen. They do not affect the ride experience one bit. I personally think its a good idea, especially after all the scrutiny the park is under after the SoB incident last season.

^Exactly. There is nothing wrong with seat belts being added to the rides. It just helps in the very unlikely case that something out of the ordinary does in fact happen. They do not affect the ride experience one bit. I personally think its a good idea, especially after all the scrutiny the park is under after the SoB incident last season.

Thank You!

Seat Belts? they sucked the fun of riding on coasters didnt they! I dont like seatbelts to me they do mess with the ride experience a little bit I want air time yet I'm strapped in my seat as tight as can be.

As for the SoB mistake blame the media they blow everything out of the water.

^ Has anyone else ever experienced anything of the sort on Vortex? I mean, I've seen the OTSR click a few times, and that dosent bother me. Honestly folks, is that even possible? :huh: -- I just have a quick question for anyone that knows. Do the new seatbelts keep it possible for larger guests to keep riding? -- just a thought, because I remember when CP installed belts on the lapbars belonging to MF... Sadly, it kept me from riding, and I'm not even that big of a guy (~250lbs) :(

The Vortex's restrains use a ratchet-style system to secure the lap bars. Having them just pop up is something that's extremely rare, however when the restraint is brought down, sometimes it'll sit between gears and once the ride is in motion it'll pop into gear, which sometimes makes people think that it popped up a few notches when in fact it didn't.

Why something OTHER THAN the owners?

Owners get to make decisions, you know. Yes, insurance companies and state regulations also enter into it...but Cedar Fair can and often does exceed that which is required. And why not?

Paramount Parks has left. What was once done is of very little relevance. Cedar Fair can do what it wants. It is the one who can be held ultimately responsible for your safety, after all, so it makes the decisions now....not what was done in the past. (I still argue that riders have the first responsibility for their safety, but often courts and others do not see it that way...)

Guest kwindshawne

All in all I don't mind seatbelts, but I do mind the "one size fits all" mentality in everything today. My honda for example, I have to adjust it every other minute because it continues to recoil to the point I get strangled-and that is what I hate about them. I had an 86 Firebird, and I could adjust it and leave it, but these new belts continue to recoil.

^

Ahh yes the Interpreter and his wise words. Cedar Fair will do what Cedar Fair will do. Like I said in my earlier post it does not effect anyones ability from ridding the ride nor does it hamper the ride experience. Everyone that has complained regarding the addition of seatbelts is adverse to change and obviously are not happy because their Cheese has been moved. Yes thats right their Cheese. I was in a 3 hour seminar regarding "Who Moved My Cheese", buisness book so I am going to use what I learned during 3 long hours. :wacko: Look it up and the Cheese reference will make sense

Makes perfect sense to me as I have read the book. The seat belts are different, but come on, we knew they were coming didn't we? We will be used to them in now time, it's second nature now, to buckle your belt when riding Racer and The Beast. Things change, and it make the ride that much safer.

^

Ahh yes the Interpreter and his wise words. Cedar Fair will do what Cedar Fair will do. Like I said in my earlier post it does not effect anyones ability from ridding the ride nor does it hamper the ride experience. Everyone that has complained regarding the addition of seatbelts is adverse to change and obviously are not happy because their Cheese has been moved. Yes thats right their Cheese. I was in a 3 hour seminar regarding "Who Moved My Cheese", buisness book so I am going to use what I learned during 3 long hours. :wacko: Look it up and the Cheese reference will make sense

Bahhh, books. Just a bunch of words put down on paper. <G>

The Vortex's restrains use a ratchet-style system to secure the lap bars. Having them just pop up is something that's extremely rare, however when the restraint is brought down, sometimes it'll sit between gears and once the ride is in motion it'll pop into gear, which sometimes makes people think that it popped up a few notches when in fact it didn't.

This is the reason that ride operators push down on the restraint first, and then pull up (or at least are supposed to). It is all safety. The yellow tape is supposed to be touching you - although some extremely tall people prevent the restraint from coming down all the way. So I think the seatbelt is a good idea. I am just glad it goes up and buckles into the restraint. On Corkscrew at CP the belt hangs off the restraint 9and smacks you in the face when the restraint is up) and it has to buckle into the seat between the legs.

I would guess, that Corkscrew will have the newer belts this year that is on Top Gun and Vortex, and the other Paramount Parks loopers. It would be a great time to change them out on Corkscrew, I for one wouldn't want to be hit in the face with a seat belt.