Changes at Kings Island?

marlfox_21

I don't think this has been brought up yet....

Adventure Express now has an intensity rating of 5. I find that odd because I wouldn't say that Adventure Express is as intense as other rides rated with a 5 like SOB, FOF, and Delirium. Top Gun Drop Zone, and The Racer only get a rating of 4.

Do you all think that Adventure Express deserves an intensity rating of 5?

Right now there are the same amount of can's in the park as last year, just that the Kings Island stick's make them stand out. Were suppost to get new ones this week, during preseason I helped clean just about every restroom. It toke forever, Thursday and Friday those stickers were put on the can's. But the park does look cleaner than last year, big time.

I don't think this has been brought up yet....

Adventure Express now has an intensity rating of 5. I find that odd because I wouldn't say that Adventure Express is as intense as other rides rated with a 5 like SOB, FOF, and Delirium. Top Gun Drop Zone, and The Racer only get a rating of 4.

Do you all think that Adventure Express deserves an intensity rating of 5?

It has...

But I definitely agree Adventure Express shouldn't be a 5.

I am shocked that nobody in this topic has touched this one yet, but what the heck is up with TRTR? They totally sucked the life right out of it! I say, tear the roof off of that thing and turn it into a normal top spin! The ride is a joke anymore! On a side note, did anyone else notice they took out the seats they no longer use?

IJ:ST The stair effect does not work (as always) nor does the on board audio. In fact, they actually took out some of the speakers in the train. And whats up with the music they play in the station? And the pre-ride announcement has no personality to it at all! They guy sounds very dull! If that ride had ANY magic before, it is gone now. This ride is pretty much the only coaster left without seat belts.

Spongebob 3D is STILL there? Come on already! Isn't enough, enough?

Thats my rant for now....

As far as the spongebob goes for action theater... you must remember how much money CF has already spent this year, especially since they have so much money to pay for the parks themselves. Second each time they change the video in the action theater thats essentially like getting another ride all together, besides the fact that the actual ride itself isnt new, the video however is and takes a long process to align with the seats and make the seats and video correspond together

Tuskin,

Each print for AT cost $25,000, and will wear out around halfway through the season. Since Side A (3d side) required 2 prints for the 3d effect, thats $50,000 just for half the season, so you are talking 100k just for one side operation just for the film itself. Not to mention normal maintenance costs. Also, when they replace the movie, it is threaded into the projectors, an EPROM disk is inserted into the computer (think Sega Genesis game disk) and the data is loaded into the computer. All the seats follow a "virtual seat," which cuts down on timing errors and also makes it impossible for a seat to run the wrong program. All in all, it takes probably 1-2 hrs to load in a new film and to reprogram the ride.

As for the F-15's: All fighters can land on carriers, no matter what unit they are under. Coming off the assembly line, they are equipped with the tail hook that Navy planes use. The reason for that is in case of brake failure, the pilot will go drop the tail hook and grab an emergency landing line at the end of the runway, causing the fighter to stop. This is the exact same way the Navy lands their planes. It is different with bigger planes, which use a catch net instead of the line. Think of a fishing net only thicker and bigger.

This is the first time in 30 years that I have been able to get to KI on Opening Day. We had a blast and were even lucky enough to hit Season Pass Processing when the line was only about 10-15 mins.

This may be normal for Opening Day, but all of the coasters we rode with the exception of Top Gun, were stacked up in the stations. Our train on The Beast ran the entire course and returned to the station before the next train had left. Then we sat for about 7-10 mins waiting for our turn to unload. I think it was just because of it being the first day. At least I hope that is it, because wait times are gonna be terrible if ride opps can't get things moving faster. Like I said, we rode Top Gun and it was moving pretty quick, IJST, Racer, and Beast had all trains in the station at all times when we were on them or anywhere near enough to see them throughout the day. Maybe someone who works there can tell me if this is becuase of "first day" operations or maybe becuase Cedar Fair has some new loading procedures that we didn't notice.

Let me finish by saying that EVERY emplolyee we had the chance to talk to was very friendly and did a great job. Keep up the good work! We'll be back next weekend!

This is the first time in 30 years that I have been able to get to KI on Opening Day. We had a blast and were even lucky enough to hit Season Pass Processing when the line was only about 10-15 mins.

This may be normal for Opening Day, but all of the coasters we rode with the exception of Top Gun, were stacked up in the stations. Our train on The Beast ran the entire course and returned to the station before the next train had left. Then we sat for about 7-10 mins waiting for our turn to unload. I think it was just because of it being the first day. At least I hope that is it, because wait times are gonna be terrible if ride opps can't get things moving faster. Like I said, we rode Top Gun and it was moving pretty quick, IJST, Racer, and Beast had all trains in the station at all times when we were on them or anywhere near enough to see them throughout the day. Maybe someone who works there can tell me if this is becuase of "first day" operations or maybe becuase Cedar Fair has some new loading procedures that we didn't notice.

Let me finish by saying that EVERY emplolyee we had the chance to talk to was very friendly and did a great job. Keep up the good work! We'll be back next weekend!

I do work at KI, and the train stack ups you see are just a part of opening weekend hassle. It is very difficult to train new associates how the ride works while running it. Just please give us a little bit more time for our newbies to get used to everything, and the park should be running normally very soon. :-D

Glad you had a good trip! Hearing things like that makes my job worth it.

Well, as stated in a previous forum, I recently got the job offer that I wanted. An opportunity to assist with care of the animals at The Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden. The opportunity to work with Cincy's Mambas, and Sumatran Rhinos is WAY TO MUCH to pass up. And everything else that they have. Not to mention that Cincinnati has one of the best reputations of ANY ZOO in the country.

And the educational outreach programs at Cincinnati are by far the best that I have ever been introduced to. So, YES, I am leaving Florida and my stepping stone job at Disney's Animal Kingdom for The Cincinnati Zoo. I will have to say goodbye to volunteering at Sea World as well. Its ok though, my entire family is located throughout Ohio. So I am welcoming the move back.

I am not the kind of person that likes to be still. I like to keep moving about, I LOVE TO BE OUTSIDE, and I have to keep living to the best that life has to offer. So for those of you who still work at the park, and for those of you who have recently been to the park, let me know....

Is the park still what it used to be or is it better? Because granted my career move is obviously

The Cincinnati Zoo, I would not mind getting my foot back in the door at Kings Island, as a part time associate or volunteer. I just want to know if it is still pretty much the same environment. Or if it has matured with the new owners.

Because, just in case you are not aware of this. Because everybody in Ohio is always truly excited at the thought of going to PRETTY MUCH ANY of the Florida parks. Disney, Sea World, Busch Gardens, Universal. But the people who live down here equally idolize the idea of going to Kings Island, and Cedar Point in Ohio. I hear it all of the time. YOU'VE BEEN TO Kings Island! YOU WORKED AT Kings Island! WOW, I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO THERE. And I can also say that since I have gotten so use to the major record breaking coasters of Ohio, some of the rides down here seem to be YES FUN, but kind of lacking in strength. Its kind of disappointing in a way. I love the rides down here, but I have been spoiled into loving bigger, faster things. People down here call me "the crazy man from Ohio", when I go and ride coasters with them at the parks here.

m.f.21

Adventure Express an intensity rating of 5 :lol:

how about 1

don't get me wrong i enjoy riding it like all coasters, but there is nothing intense about

(well those guys in the cave are pretty scary :lol:

My guesss is that the intensity rating changes have to do with safety. Someone who has previous neck or back injury may really want to ride the ride, and they may feel that they could physically handle the ride if the rating is lower ( especially if they have never been to the park before ) This may be another way ( like the seat belts ) to avoid further injuries, in this case before they get a chance to happen. And if someone did get hurt on the ride who probably should not have ridden that ride in the 1st place, the park can point out that the they chose to ride it with a previously existing physical condition despite the rides high intensity rating.

I had an OK visit to KI on sunday. Vortex, and IJST broke down when I got in line. BUT Racer was awesome!

And one thing that I HATED!!! On Flight of Fear, you COMPLETELY stop during the mid brake run. You stop and inch down the turn for the rest of the ride...i hated it! So much. I love FoF, but that part almost kills the ride. I almost thought it broke down! Still a fin ride...but not so fun pause.

I noticed that the smoking area on the pathway from Coney Mall to the pizza place in Rivertown has been removed. They have also (according to the KI map) removed all the smoking areas from Nick Universe.

Also as stated in my trip report posted elsewhere, they have removed the glass blower shop from International Street and have opened a new shop called Thrillseekers which used to be the Animation Station.

OK....How about in week number 2. Is anything else different?

Because it turns out that I am actually going to be able to visit the park in 2 weeks. I can't wait, really. I'm bringing some friends up from Florida to visit the park for their 1st time. One of them has a slight fear of big coasters. But I managed to get him on SheiKra and Expedition Everest. So what do you think, should Vortex, or Beast be a problem to get him on?

m.f.21

I noticed that the smoking area on the pathway from Coney Mall to the pizza place in Rivertown has been removed. They have also (according to the KI map) removed all the smoking areas from Nick Universe.

Also as stated in my trip report posted elsewhere, they have removed the glass blower shop from International Street and have opened a new shop called Thrillseekers which used to be the Animation Station.

The smoking areas in Nick have not changed from last year. The closest ones are next to lost parents, the pathway between Reptar and Phantom Flyers, and on I-street across from Graeters.

The smoking areas in Nick have not changed from last year. The closest ones are next to lost parents, the pathway between Reptar and Phantom Flyers, and on I-street across from Graeters.

I don't really consider the one on I-street part of Nick Universe. Perhaps all the smoking areas are the same, but if you compare this year's map to last year's, there are some smoking areas at least missing from the Kings Island map. I do not know if that means some areas closed, or last year's map was wrong, or this year's map was wrong. (Or the names of the rides in Nick Universe are taking up so much space they can not print the smoking areas on the map!

I didn't say the one on I-street was in Nickelodeon. Clearly it's on I-street. I did say that one of the closest smoking areas to Nick is on I-street depending on where you are (Haunted Castle, Swings, Atom Smashers, Blue Skidoo). The smoking area between Reptar and Phantom Flyers is missing from the map this year. The smoking areas in and around Nick have not changed from last year.

As far as I know they eliminated 2 smoking areas and moved one. The one in Action Zone closer to Face/Off was moved away from the fence and over behind the Restrooms. The one in Coney across from IJST is gone, and the one that was against Bubba Gumps building across from AE is gone. The smoking areas that are left are pretty much out of the way now kinda in secluded areas where not much people walk thru.

If all the smoking areas in Nick Universe are the same (and I have no reason to doubt the word of Nickelodeon Universe) then they need to update park map to place them back on it in the Nick Universe section!

I am glad they tried to adjust things to place the smoking areas in more out the way areas. That is a positive development!