Games

ssdd1970

The past couple of years I've noticed a decline in the amount of people playing games, are the games just lame?

There are times I think they could reduce the number of game stalls and maybe focus on other attractions. Although it would hurt the revenue but maybe it's already doing so?

The past couple of years I've noticed a decline in the amount of people playing games, are the games just lame?

They are a rip-off, IMO. I especially liked the game operator who promised my 4 year-old son "You'll win something, dude. I promise" on the softball in the basket game and then gave him nothing but a "sorry" when he missed the basket.

Then, you turn around and see grown men walking around with giant stuffed animals that they won playing in the duckey pond. :angry:

I had told myself I would not mention this.

But I will.

I think it is a logical reaction to the VERY LOUD microphones on Coney Mall and the superannoying hawking by the games employees, who are only doing their jobs as they are required to by the management.

I find the entire games setup annoying at Kings Island, much more so than at any other park I visit.

I would also point out the quality of prizes has gone drastically downhill in recent years. It is nearly impossible to win anything worth a sum even approximating the high cost of playing.

My dad shot at the 3 Point shoot out by Vortex and came up 1 shy of winning a big basketball but instead he sone a small little mavericks dodgeball. I have learned over the years that the games are a rip off. The carnies that work them can do it every time but for some reason when you get up there it is impossible to do.

Well, having volunteered a couple time in the games department at Kings Island, I have gotten an insiders view of the games department. There is some skill involved in winning at some of those games. (The supervisor who was training me on the game I was working last October could make balls into the peach baskets on Coney Mall without even looking).

And, some of those large plush toys they give away are not on the cheap side! And yes, you`d be surprised how much money some of those games can bring in in one day. It is rather astonishing! Which, for the record, the prices for the games have been increased. Obey the Net on Coney Mall used to be 1 ball for $2, three balls for $5. This year, it is 1 ball for $3 and two balls for $5.

I'm sure it's not the case anymore, but in the past parks have paid people to walk around with giant stuffed animals so it makes the game prizes seems more obtainable and easier to win.

Also, don't forget that when you play a game it's not a normal transaction. You are paying for the experience and the chance to win a prize. It's kind of like when you go to the county fair and pay $3 to ride a 2 minute ride, which doesn't seem like it has much value considering most 3 hour concerts go for $20 or so.

I think it is a logical reaction to the VERY LOUD microphones on Coney Mall and the superannoying hawking by the games employees, who are only doing their jobs as they are required to by the management.

I find the entire games setup annoying at Kings Island, much more so than at any other park I visit.

CP is not innocent either.

Everytime I walk by those "Guess your weight/ age/ birthday" it is the same thing. Calling out people walking on the midway, trying to embaress a person in a large group etc. It is rather annoying. But I understand that is what management wants, so the employee is put into a position to do what they are told.

I won't even sit down and eat near one of these "games". It is just not relaxing.

...Also, don't forget that when you play a game it's not a normal transaction. You are paying for the experience and the chance to win a prize. It's kind of like when you go to the county fair and pay $3 to ride a 2 minute ride, which doesn't seem like it has much value considering most 3 hour concerts go for $20 or so.

Hmmm. Haven't been to a concert in quite some time? I can't remember the last time I paid $20 or so to go to a concert. The last one I got tickets for was $48.

As for CP, yes they hawk...but their mikes are nowhere near as loud! Besides, isn't CP owned by the same people who apparently could change KI's mike volume, IF they wanted to?

Wow 40 bucks is cheap for a concert! As for the over zealous game attendants , yes it is very annoying but hey its part of the park. What is worse is the employees up front trying to take your pic. Even when you say NO the next one grabs ya...lol... This past saturday I bet I was asked 15 times or more to get my pic taken through out day. grrrrrrrrrrrr... Gonna make a t-shirt that says "want my pic? give me 5 bucks!" ..lol... I know these people are only doing their job but sheesh. Now the games are fun to watch and on occasion I will play one but I know the chances of me winning are slim to none. So instead of wasting my money on games I waste it on LT. Dans beer...lmaooooo

I worked one of the games when my church worked there a couple years ago. I worked an inflatable ladder game that was over by the Days of Thunder attraction. The park regular I worked with could walk up that ladder without even using his hands! I tried and tried and could never make it up the thing! I remember one little girl kept trying and trying. She spent about $50 trying to climb that thing. I asked the guy I was working with if we could go ahead and give her a prize cause I felt sorry for her and he said no. After a couple more tries from this girl he told me he was going to the restroom. As the girl was digging in her purse for more money I told her to wait then when I saw him go in the restroom I told the girl to grab whatever she wanted and leave before he got back! I couldn't help it, the kid was about 12 and had spent about $70 before he went to the RR, I felt so sorry for her. (Yea, I'm a big softie when it comes to kids)

One of my friends was told to carry around a big stuffed animal and act like he won it. He was to tell people where he won it too, if they asked, so they could go play the game.

The picture takers at the front of the park are really annoying, but its not thier fault because they are just doing their job. One time last year I suprised one of them with some stupid antics. They came up like they always do and said "Can you please let me take your picture" and I threw my arms up in the air and yelled "Nooooo!!! You're not taking my soul!!" then started to run away. When I turned around to look at their reaction they looked dumfounded for a second, then started laughing. I think they were laughing because of how embarassed my wife and kids were though! Now my family begs me not to do that again when we go to the park! hehe

I always just tell the photo people that I've already gotten a picture, and they leave me alone. As for the games, they are way over priced, but that doesn't stop me. I love showing off to my friends. On Sunday, I won a huge black yellow and red soccer ball. It was one of those that is about 5 ft in diameter and wont fit in your car unless you deflate it. (Which takes forever) It cost me about $20 since it was the LONG 3-point, not the free-throw length. It was worth it when the guy said something about my Colts shirt, and I sunk the next one. And my friends were amazed. I'm just saying that it is expensive, but man is it fun to win stuff.

After a couple more tries from this girl he told me he was going to the restroom. As the girl was digging in her purse for more money I told her to wait then when I saw him go in the restroom I told the girl to grab whatever she wanted and leave before he got back! I couldn't help it, the kid was about 12 and had spent about $70 before he went to the RR, I felt so sorry for her. (Yea, I'm a big softie when it comes to kids)

Thats a very nice thing you did for the girl and the games can be expensive as well as extremely challenging with the odds in the parks favor and she may have only been 12 but you do realize what you did was considered theft dont you?

I've seen many prizes handed off that weren't truly won. At one of the basketball games on Saturday, this kid (maybe 9 or 10) made only one basket, but the guy behind the counter let him have a bigger prize since he'd been trying so hard. That's nice, but then my nephew (7) who spent his last $5 didn't get anything and I know he was thinking, "Well that's not fair." But he didn't say anything about it.

spending 20 bucks or more just to win a 50 cent (or less) stuffed animal....and we wonder where all of our money goes in America.

I would like you to know the stuffed animals are much more than 50 cents thanks, try researching your facts or at least knowing something before you bash such a money making department.

You guys are getting ripped off if you're going to concerts over $40, IMO. I spent $43 to see no less than 12 bands play at ozzfest just last year.

You don't need to play the games while at the park. We are there to provide a challenge, some more so than others, and a chance to win some prizes. Sure, someone may walk away with a small prize after paying a bit, but others win on just a few dollars. This is true for kids and adults. It is always hard to tell a kid they didn't win, but as I said, adults continue to spend after losing 5, 6, or 7 times as well. They want to prove they can do it. Usually it's their group that provokes them into continuing to play, not the games person.

On the note of being loud, I'll admit some of our guys can be loud. I will tell you this, we won't get offended if you ignore us. We realize it's going to happen.

Buchers, how long ago was your church at the park? I am pretty sure that guy who could walk up the ladder with no hands was me seeing as only me and one other person could do it about 2-3 years ago.

On the note of being loud, I'll admit some of our guys can be loud. I will tell you this, we won't get offended if you ignore us. We realize it's going to happen.

Haha right here I will admit I am loud. Once a friend in the games department went to the top of the efifle tower with his girl friend and he said he could hear me.

I was at KI on Sunday. My friends and I were walking by the ladder game by AE, he came over and started trying to get us to do it, we said "Can you do it?". He replied no, and we said if you can't do it then I'm not trying.

spending 20 bucks or more just to win a 50 cent (or less) stuffed animal....and we wonder where all of our money goes in America.

I would like you to know the stuffed animals are much more than 50 cents thanks, try researching your facts or at least knowing something before you bash such a money making department.

Oh really? How was he supposed to research it? Care to share with us where online we can find the prices and all the info regarding product amounts, ordering info, surplus, price, shipping costs, etc. online or withing public reach? I'm pretty sure those numbers are kept by the park and ernie really isn't able to research them wtih his available resources so before you get all defensive about your seasonal at will employment and wanna harp on someone for not getting their facts straight, make sure the facts are out there for them to get.

I was at KI on Sunday. My friends and I were walking by the ladder game by AE, he came over and started trying to get us to do it, we said "Can you do it?". He replied no, and we said if you can't do it then I'm not trying.

Haha yes this is the first year Global Amusements Company hasn't run that game and the games department has taken it over, so we are trying to get better at it as you speak come back in a month man! ;)

Haha yes this is the first year Global Amusements Company hasn't run that game and the games department has taken it over, so we are trying to get better at it as you speak come back in a month man! ;)

Does this mean we're not going to be hassled as much at that game?

Oh really? How was he supposed to research it? Care to share with us where online we can find the prices and all the info regarding product amounts, ordering info, surplus, price, shipping costs, etc. online or withing public reach? I'm pretty sure those numbers are kept by the park and ernie really isn't able to research them wtih his available resources so before you get all defensive about your seasonal at will employment and wanna harp on someone for not getting their facts straight, make sure the facts are out there for them to get.

Well I bet anything other more experienced people on this site at least have in the ballpark guesses.