Top Gun

ssdd1970

I believe Top Gun could us a major makeover or a new ride put in it's place? It has lost it's thrill value as it's queue looks pretty nasty ie:Old Gillette billboard and the paint on railings and the ride itself looks shabby. Should we salvage and reinvent or ditch it for something else and what should it be?

I would keep it, from trip reports i hear it is still a pretty popular ride as the line was 45 minutes+ this past weekend. Also it is such rough terrain back there I don't see anything too great going back there easily.

The only reason the line was so long on Saturday is that The Vortex, IJSC, Racers, and Beast where all down at the same time. So all the coasters that where still open have very long lines. If those five coasters where open all day I bet the line would not have been that bad.

Well i cant say i would do away with it.I would hope CF would put/bring back all the props and add music and the fog machine back to the loading station like it used to be when it opened back in the 90's.Plus why would you want to tak it out you have a great view of GWL when your going up the hill.Plus when kids get out for summer from school the park will be more full and the lines will go up.Plus every time i have been there it ass always been atleast a 10min wait for TG plus more people walking in line to get to it.

Guest TombraiderTy

I say do away with it, level the ground, then build an area similar to Downtown Disney on it. It would be free to anyone and would have an entrance from part of the parking lot and the Great Wolf Lodge. At the back would be an entrance into the park, which you need admission to enter of course. So, GWL guests could access the park quicker, have more options, and park guests can take a break from all the action. And a roller coaster accessed from inside the park would fly over the area. Just an idea.

I love top gun, except for its length. WAY too short. However, lots of times the line is also short, so you can ride it two times in a row without waiting. I would like to see it stay, it's such a great ride. If it does go, i want a better coaster in its place.

I say do away with it, level the ground, then build an area similar to Downtown Disney on it. It would be free to anyone and would have an entrance from part of the parking lot and the Great Wolf Lodge. At the back would be an entrance into the park, which you need admission to enter of course. So, GWL guests could access the park quicker, have more options, and park guests can take a break from all the action. And a roller coaster accessed from inside the park would fly over the area. Just an idea.

i agree

Guest kwindshawne
I believe Top Gun could us a major makeover or a new ride put in it's place? It has lost it's thrill value as it's queue looks pretty nasty ie:Old Gillette billboard and the paint on railings and the ride itself looks shabby. Should we salvage and reinvent or ditch it for something else and what should it be?

I have wondered lately-with everything else in the park being refurbished and top gun basically being left as is, does anyone else wonder that maybe it is on the chopping block? To me, it looks neglected cosmetically. It is still a great ride, but its appearance is bad.

i agree

I'm sorry I just have to say something. Please dont take offense but I STRONGLY disagree with any possibility of reality reguarding this idea.

Okay first let me take a breath and calm down.

Ok

First: In terms of shopping at Kings Island, who is going to want to go to a valley, way back in the Action Zone to go shopping when there are stalls all over the park?? People already complain about having to walk a mile to ride a roller coaster, now they're going to have to walk a mile to go shopping?

Second: Even if they made that a separate entrance, How could that possibly save time? are you saying that the distance from the entrance now to face/off is just too far, and that you need it 100 feet closer. Also nobody's trip is going to make or break because of the distance GWL is from KI, there is already a pathway from GWL to KI and a is going to start having a shuttle in full season. A separate entrance is honestly a waste of staffing and just a headache.

Third: Back to the shopping at Kings Island, what do you call I-Street?? Is there seriously not enough shopping on there already? What are they going to sell in the TG valley that they dont sell all over the park already?

Fourth and foremost: Okay do you know why Disney has a Downtown Disney?? Because Disney World is 42 square miles!! In case you cannot fatham that, that is TWICE the size of Manhattan Island. Kings Island isnt even 800 acres, half of which isnt even developed. Kings Island on a buisy day in the summer can have around 30 to 40 thousand people in the park, give or take. On a buisy day in the summer, Disney World Resort can have over One MILLION people on property. Also In case you've never been there, you dont have to pay to get into Downtown Disney, nor do you have to be staying in Disney, all you have to pay for is the things you buy. When you're in orlando or at disney and you want to go somewhere to hang out and shop without paying an admission you go to Downtown Disney. Nobody (except maybe a handful) in cincinnati is going to be sitting at home trying to decide what to do and decide to go shopping for Kings Island merchandise at Downtown KI.

i agree

I'm sorry I just have to say something. Please dont take offense but I STRONGLY disagree with any possibility of reality reguarding this idea.

Okay first let me take a breath and calm down.

Ok

First: In terms of shopping at Kings Island, who is going to want to go to a valley, way back in the Action Zone to go shopping when there are stalls all over the park?? People already complain about having to walk a mile to ride a roller coaster, now they're going to have to walk a mile to go shopping?

Second: Even if they made that a separate entrance, How could that possibly save time? are you saying that the distance from the entrance now to face/off is just too far, and that you need it 100 feet closer. Also nobody's trip is going to make or break because of the distance GWL is from KI, there is already a pathway from GWL to KI and a is going to start having a shuttle in full season. A separate entrance is honestly a waste of staffing and just a headache.

Third: Back to the shopping at Kings Island, what do you call I-Street?? Is there seriously not enough shopping on there already? What are they going to sell in the TG valley that they dont sell all over the park already?

Fourth and foremost: Okay do you know why Disney has a Downtown Disney?? Because Disney World is 42 square miles!! In case you cannot fatham that, that is TWICE the size of Manhattan Island. Kings Island isnt even 800 acres, half of which isnt even developed. Kings Island on a buisy day in the summer can have around 30 to 40 thousand people in the park, give or take. On a buisy day in the summer, Disney World Resort can have over One MILLION people on property. Also In case you've never been there, you dont have to pay to get into Downtown Disney, nor do you have to be staying in Disney, all you have to pay for is the things you buy. When you're in orlando or at disney and you want to go somewhere to hang out and shop without paying an admission you go to Downtown Disney. Nobody (except maybe a handful) in cincinnati is going to be sitting at home trying to decide what to do and decide to go shopping for Kings Island merchandise at Downtown KI.

*stands up and applauds*

Very good, you just basically shut down any reason for people to think that's a good idea.

I have said this before, and I am going to say it again. Why on Earth does everyone insist on thinking the right thing to do is remove rides!?!

There is nothing wrong with TG. There is nothing wrong with Vortex. Chances are these rides will still be around when your kids are tall enough to get on them.

While popularity may have an influence on if a ride stays or goes, it is not the final factor. (I.E. Flying Eagles, Antique Cars)

Normally a more determining factor is the value of the land it is on as well as maintenance. KC was doomed for a combination of these factors. As was Screamin' Deamon (more land than anything) and KCKC (both land and maintenance). You can even throw in White Water Landing, Mill Run, and the aquarium at CP for the same reasons.

The land that TG is on is terrible for people. Who would want to walk there? (Ever been to MarineLand in Canada?) Which is why it was a great place for the coaster to go. Not much else could go there. Everyone always asks/ complains why the walk to the ride is so long. Think about it. You could put a ride like TG anywhere. But it was that specific parcel of land that was chosen. Why? What else are you going to put there?

KI has so much land to use. Considering where they have put Firehawk, I believe it is easy to see the direction the footprint of the park is going.

Call me old, call me a fuddy-duddy, call me to conservative, but you just don't throw away rides without good reason. Relocate - OK. Get rid of because you can't get parts - OK. When it comes to Top Gun, just think of ANY other suspended coaster that even comes close to TG's excitement. Some of you must have tons of money to burn, but I am the kind that has to keep my car for 10 years or more and I have to choose which parks I visit in the summer because I can't afford more than one or two - so I'd like to go to a park that has variety and has the best. Yet I keep reading "burn down SOB" and "away with TG" and "I'm tired of The Racer so let's get rid of it". Maybe someday you'll have to watch your pennies too! Heaven help us when that reality check finally arrives. There'll be so many who won't be able to cope!

I have to make a quick note to Marty McFly, the original downtown idea poster said it would be outside the park, hence no paying except for shopping. It's not a bad idea, but just not for KI, IMO. Just not a nig enough park. However, it could allow for some interesting things to go there, like more franchised restraunt type deals.

As far as Top Gun, it needs a good cleaning. It may be a bit short for a coaster, but it's a fine ride. Just clean it up and fix it up and it's good to go.

According to RCDB.com, Arrow made 10 suspended coasters. 7 of them are still operating. The 3 that are not are: The Bat- we all know the story behind it's removal, XLR-8- SF AstroWorld- the park has closed, and a park in Japan that has an "accident" and the ride never reopened.

http://www.rcdb.com/ir.htm?order=15&contact=6&page=5

Rides like TG have their place in the park. It may not be thrilling to all. But for some kids, one of their first rollercoaster experiances is TG. It's not intimidating like Vortex or SoB, but it's also not in NickCentral.

...On a buisy day in the summer, Disney World Resort can have over One MILLION people on property.

Just out of curiousity, how did you come up with that number? If all 33,000 Disney hotel rooms were 100% occupied with four guests each, and each park contained 50,000 people (different from those people occupying the rooms), and you add in 60,000 WDW employees (all at work at the same time) I still can't get anywhere close to that number...

^Long story short. It was a maintenance nightmare. It was also a prototype. It was around from 1981 to 1983, and it was SBNO more than it was operating.

It had brake fins on the bottom of the trains as opposed to on top of the train (like how TG is now). This cause excessive wear & tear.

The track was not banked at all. This caused the shocks on the cars to be shot rather quickly.

It would be great to see the ride built today, with the modifications. But I probably have a better chance at hitting the lotto.

I beleive Top GUn needs to stay because on days where the park is crowded is really does have a long wait and it sells a whole bunch of souvenirs. When you go into a store all you see is Top Gun stuff. I love the ride but i will not wait past the stairs for it. They (CF) could also open up the area under the station to wait and bring back the old red color.