How do you feel about the changes Cedar Fair has made to the park?

BoddaH1994

Actually, so far Kings Island has been owned by:

Taft Broadcasting

Kings Entertainment Company (KECO)

Carl Lindner

Paramount Communications

Viacom

CBS

Cedar Fair

So Cedar Fair is the seventh owner...and no, Paramount Communications, Viacom and CBS are/were not the same company...(yes, Viacom bought Paramount Communications, and CBS split off from Viacom, but the ownership changes drastically affected the park and what might otherwise have been its future directions...)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been 3 times this year, we own Gold Passes, but due to a few things beyond our control, haven't been able to go as often as normal.

I have been kind of neutral on the changes and park since CF took over. We mainly visit the kids area...

1) I really like the fact that a few rides that used to have height restrictions on them, now allow all children (except lap held infants) on them with an adult (for instance last year you had to be 40 inches tall to ride the log ride, this year, just need parent).

2) I really like the fact that a lot of the kids rides now have safety belts on them that used to never have them.

3) I love the fact that they have the child height measurement station at the front of the park right next to the return visit booth/Gold Pass Booth.

4) I like the fact they brought back the Gold Passes this year.

5) It doesn't seem as crowded in the park this year. Every time we have gone, even the Gold Pass parking is 1/2 empty and ride lines in the kids area are not as long as they normally are.

6) Customer service is much better. I had a few complaints with KI in the past, and they never seemed to get resolved or even acknowledged by the Park; I have even left customer feedback for an employee that I thought did a really good job in a very tough situation and never even received a thank you for your compliment. With CF this year, I at least heard back that they were addressing the issues (we went opening weekend and the arcade/kiddie games were eating my son's tokens, they were so crowded in the ticket redemption areas that you couldn't get an employee to help you. I left a customer complaint and actually heard back in about 4 weeks.

7) They need more life jackets for children in the water park area. Last year we had no problems on the lazy river or water slide rides with finding one for your child. This year, You couldn't see a single one, and a few of the rides require our son to have one and we didn't bring one because in the past they have always had them at the rides.

8) I like the fact that on the lazy river ride in the water park that they now have double tubes. It works great for me taking my 4 year old on it. Not quite old enough/tall enough to go on his own tube, but too big to sit on my stomach and share a single tube.

9) If you have a child who is not old enough to require a ticket, they still let you do the Gold Pass privs on the rides with that child (log ride and scooby).

I really think only time will tell right now with regards to the changes. I don't think we have seen the whole effect yet. I am still waiting for them to put up their 4th of July stuff (ie like last year they had the Gold Pass special viewing area, picnic, etc).

I also agree that prices are a bit high this year for everything, but I do know that security is great if you are coming in with kids, especially if you go through a line that has a "grandpa" in it. They let you bring in a few snacks in your diaper bag for the kids w/o giving you grief -- and give you a few pointers on how to get "food" in. My son (2 yo) was finishing up his McDonalds as we were walking in, and the security guy let us even though he was finishing his hamburger through security checkpoint.

Let's look at pros and cons:

PROs

Awesome new coaster (CBS planned on no new rides this year)

5 Shows (Upgrade from CBS's 1 and a half)

Far Cleaner park (Upgrade from CBS's Rumpke Island in the last year)

Wings Buffet

Maxx Passes

CONs

Higher prices

No more Winterfest

A lot of new management (may affect some of you)

No more movie themes

KI passes will not get you into the former Paramount Parks without Maxx

A lot of stuff is arguable, but I think the PROs outweight the CONs.