New SOB Info

PKIVortex

• 2 weeks later...
E-stop, would not stop trains any faster, or in any other place than where the ride is designed to safely "set-up", for both safety and evacuation purposes. The ride doesnt just immediately stop, unless under a certain speed and approaching or in a set of brakes! Emergency stop is just that, an emergency stop not an immediate stop, if that were the case, it would be an i-stop!

On any coaster, and you can find most of this same info in most Roller Coaster books!

Oh, I see what your saying. I'm glad an employee representing the park finnaly came forth with some info like this. So are you saying the accident could have been prevented on Son of Beast had the crew hit the E-stop properly? Thanks for sharing some inside info cory! Please keep us posted! BTW, I saw you working at IJ this weekend! Should've said hello but the line was a bit long.

No by hitting the e-stop the accident on SOB would not have been avioded, unless they knew somethign was wrong with the track, and they e-stopped before the train crested the lift. Otherwise the train would have still hit the bad track and e-stopped in the block.

E-stop, would not stop trains any faster, or in any other place than where the ride is designed to safely "set-up", for both safety and evacuation purposes. The ride doesnt just immediately stop, unless under a certain speed and approaching or in a set of brakes! Emergency stop is just that, an emergency stop not an immediate stop, if that were the case, it would be an i-stop!

On any coaster, and you can find most of this same info in most Roller Coaster books!

Oh, I see what your saying. I'm glad an employee representing the park finnaly came forth with some info like this. So are you saying the accident could have been prevented on Son of Beast had the crew hit the E-stop properly? Thanks for sharing some inside info cory! Please keep us posted! BTW, I saw you working at IJ this weekend! Should've said hello but the line was a bit long.

No, hes not saying that would've prevented the accident. Cory is an employee of the park, but he is not a part of the Son of Beast crew, nor did he work at the park at the time of the accident, nor does he know how to operate Son of Beast or how all the e-stops work for all the coasters in the park. He works at Italian Job.

I'm sorry but the Son of Beast is not meant to be. It should have the title for most expensive roller coaster after all the millions they have spent on it. They did the same thing last year before the park opened we made it smoother to me it was not. I hope WHEN IT OPENS it is better and fixed for good.

Does anyone have a copy of the article on May 6th, 2007. When I click on link it shows nothing. I hope the Son of Beast does open this Summer because KI isn't the same without it. I think it still will be a favorite of mine even with the loop gone. Please reopen Son of Beast I miss it terribly.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been also reported that they have been cleaning up the line. So it looks like something is moving forward. But since no one has seen actual trains on the track yet, I dont think it will open in the next 2 weeks. I think they would want to do alot of testing.

Just because they are cleaning the queue doesnt mean anything. It could just be because the queue is visible from Gun's exit and they dont want trash buildup in it.

I doubt it will open this season, much less in two weeks.

I bet it will open this season.

Oh and I just want to comment on some earlier posts. There was ABSOLUTLY NOTHING we could have done to prevent the accident that happened last year. I was up there for it and it just came out of nowhere. E-Stop would'nt have helped in this situation at all. In fact, given the circumstance, it could have made the situation worse...............

Bad day to be an SOB supervisor

Bad day to be an SOB supervisor

Agreed, but to reiterate what Maureen posted originally after the incident, the crew reacted perfectly.

The crew did an amazing job. Imagine had they not hit the E-Stop, and waited for the next train to come back to the station (the train where people were actually hurt), to figure out how bad that spot was. That means a third train would have been gone over that spot. The third train would have been horrible.