New SOB Info

PKIVortex

Yeah the crew did a great job with stopping the other train on the lift. I can't even imagine what would have happened if two trains went through that spot. Maybe de-railment? :o It would probably be burned already if that happened. All that being said, I can't wait to ride it as soon as it opens back up.

Yeah the crew did a great job with stopping the other train on the lift. I can't even imagine what would have happened if two trains went through that spot. Maybe de-railment? :o It would probably be burned already if that happened. All that being said, I can't wait to ride it as soon as it opens back up.

I thought two trains went through. The first one, the riders got off, complaining of the roughness. So the ops his the E-Stop. However, the train was past all the breaking points, and went over the spot. The second time, the track moved more, and people then got hurt. This is the train where people went to the hospital.

I thought that it cracked when that train went over it and thats why that train got sent to the hospital. I figured that it was the second train of the two and while the first train made its way up the hill they hit the e-stop when they noticed that everyone was bleeding.

The SOB was in operation during the afternoon of July 9, 2006, when the failure reportedly occurred around 4:30 p.m. The ride started running late that morning, and had completed a little more then 40 runs, when the riders of a returning train complained about a rough spot in the ride. The SOB operators immediately ceased operation of the ride; however, a second train was already on the track, and could not be stopped by the time the problem had been identified. The occupants of the second train complained even more intensely about a bad spot on the track which had caused a considerable degree of discomfort.

Source: Official Accident Report. Page 7.

http://news.cincinnati.com/assets/AB538031213.PDF

I thought they sent that train empty and stopped in on the lift after the other train came back. I thought it was the EMS personall who told them to send the other train out so they could get those other people off on the train.

The SOB was in operation during the afternoon of July 9, 2006, when the failure reportedly occurred around 4:30 p.m. The ride started running late that morning, and had completed a little more then 40 runs, when the riders of a returning train complained about a rough spot in the ride. The SOB operators immediately ceased operation of the ride; however, a second train was already on the track, and could not be stopped by the time the problem had been identified. The occupants of the second train complained even more intensely about a bad spot on the track which had caused a considerable degree of discomfort.

Source: Official Accident Report. Page 7.

http://news.cincinnati.com/assets/AB538031213.PDF

That was interesting to read. I never knew what happened, only that KI was taking the loop out to slow SOB down. It seemed like the perfect storm, eh? It does seem wierd that the wood would fracture just like that though. From what I read, it was a fluke accident. It's good to see, however, that KI does replace "questionable" wood on the woodies. Can't wait to ride it when it reopens. Do the new trains have more room than the old ones? I know they might not be at KI yet, but I did read that some posters had a previous experience with the coaster that the trains previously served. I absolutely killed my knees riding SOB the one and only time I rode it. I fit in there, but it was a tight fit. It was my height more than anything that caused the problem.

The manager that was up there with me wanted to send another full train of people. I went over his head and said no. I had to respond to that train out in the readies. It was my call to put the empty on the lift and bring them into the station (the only logical decision). The manager that was up there that was supposed to be the "decision maker" went and hyperventalated (sp?) in the drive box. My crew did awesome and they deserve more credit than the credit they got.

Not trying to be cocky or anything on the decision making btw, just telling you what really went down up there.

And no E-Stop was hit at all

I happened to be on another site and read a rather intresting rumor.

Apparently, this past weekend at CoasterMania, a question about SoB's status was directed to Mr. Kinzel. His response was something about the ride re-opening around the 4th of July.

Was anybody at Coastermania that can confirm this?

• Like 1