Gold Pass Perks

Lauch

I've been to the park this year (the second weekend) and was trying to figure out the perks for Gold Pass holders. As far as I can tell, the only one I saw was the Gold Pass line on IJ:ST, which wasn't open at the time.

Can someone list all the GP perks and how I can take advantage of them? I kinda figured that there would be Gold Pass lines on most of the major attractions, but did not see any at all, except for the one.

Looking at the KI website, it lists some perks <a href="http://www2.cedarfair.com/kingsisland/events/events.cfm?ec_id=27">Here</a>. Are these the only ones?

Does anyone know GP perks that they might be adding in the future? I guess I'm just trying to make sure I can take advantage of everything they offer, when I go. Thanks in advance.

Yes those are it. The speed lanes are only for selected attractions. Scooby-Doo and The Haunted Castle, Wild Thornberries River Adventure, The Italian Job Stunt Track, The Beast and your choice of either Delirium or Drop Zone.

Funny... on the new KI commercial, for the GP, it simply says "skips the lines"! This would be misleading and almost a "false advertisement" because it leads people to believe you can skip ALL the lines.

WOOHOO.... GO KI!

The speedlanes are also only available on certain days.... which is TOTALLY outrageous. -Hauntguy

The speedlanes are also only available on certain days.... which is TOTALLY outrageous. -Hauntguy

That's what gets me. Who decides whether they are open or not? I spent 40 minutes in line at IJ:ST, when I could have gotten on right away. While I don't mind so much waiting, it'd be nice to be able to utilize something that is listed as a "perk" anytime I'm there. I don't like having to plan my trip around which days are which. If I remember right, Disney's speed pass lanes are always open. Though I'm sure it's because they get more visitors on a daily basis, it's still a nice feature.

Just about any park that has this option (speedlane)... they are available for use ANYTIME! KI is the only park that comes to mind that decides which days speedlanes can be used.

I am like you, I HATE planning KI trips around their schedule... it's not right! -Hauntguy

Speed Lanes are only available Every Saturday & Sunday from June 2 - July 29, and you must be on of the first 1,500 Gold Pass holders in the park.

I guess I'll just stick to weekdays. At least it's not too bad on those days.

Thanks for all the information PKIVortex!

You're lucky to have the speedlanes anyway. As stated in the conference call, walk up ticket holders are more profitable than season pass holders, and they're basically rewarding you for having a season pass and thus ****ing off a lot of walk ups.

You're lucky to have the speedlanes anyway. As stated in the conference call, walk up ticket holders are more profitable than season pass holders, and they're basically rewarding you for having a season pass and thus ****ing off a lot of walk ups.

I'm not sure about that, but I know I'll spend alot of money IN the park this year. They may not get my money on the ticket, but they'll get me on the food and souvenirs and games.

I'm not sure about that, but I know I'll spend alot of money IN the park this year. They may not get my money on the ticket, but they'll get me on the food and souvenirs and games.

I'm not doubting that, but I'm willing to say your the exception rather than the rule. As a season pass holder, you get certain perks that aren't listed on the Gold Pass media release. These include the basics... you can stop by KI for an hour on your way home from work, you can come and go from KI to get meals, and you have the luxury of showing up for just the last few hours of operation. All the while there is a hit or miss as the whether you'll spend any money at all. On the other hand a walk up ticket buyer is guarenteed for a fifty dollar admissions ticket, up to two meals, and likely a souvineer. FAR less likely to leave the park to eat (time is money).

This is true, I complety see where BoddaH is coming from. It's a perk they give us nothing more then just that. And I can see how the speedlanes can make the paying Guest mad. They spent 45 dollars to get in the park and they are people who are line cutting them and making their wait longer on an already busy day.

I also see where Lauch is coming from, Season Pass holders spend money in the park as well, but probably not as much in a day that a paying family would.

All in all, I would just like some consistency. I understand the part about the paying public paying more to the park. But if you're going to offer perks, why can't you make it more consistent throughout the park and for a longer period of time?

Look at it from this perspective:

Paramount Parks model:

Season passes = more visits to the park = more opportunities to purchase.

Walk up tickets = one visit to the park = one opportunity to purchase.

Cedar Fair model:

Season passes = one admission paid to the park = multiple visits, which are under utilized

Walk up tickets = one (smaller) admission payment + guaranteed food purchases + guaranteed retail purchase(s).

And a mistake I believe they MAY be making (or not; the registers will tell the tale...):

Too High Prices on Food and Merchandise MAY = People leaving the park and not coming back as often or perhaps not at all

OR

High Prices on Food and Merchandise MAY = Enough people paying the higher prices to result in higher overall profits for the park without affecting future repeat visits.

Only time will tell....

Cedar Fair had last year tried in their "legacy" parks:

Lower food and drink prices equals more people buying at lower gross margins...perhaps higher profits? But they found the CBS pricing model at their acquired parks made more money. Thus, the pricing levels you now see...

Too High Prices on Food and Merchandise MAY = People leaving the park and not coming back as often or perhaps not at all

OR

High Prices on Food and Merchandise MAY = Enough people paying the higher prices to result in higher overall profits for the park without affecting future repeat visits.

-The Interpreter

It's also true that if prices were lowered people buy more! When I go to the park I have to buy ONE drink and "savor the flavor"... if the price were lower I would buy more than one drink a day. So I think it would even out? -Hauntguy

...it apparently didn't at Cedar Point. Thus, 25 cent cotton candy is gone. And we will see much about what strategy the entire company is taking in this area when Cedar Point opens this weekend. I, for one, am going to be scrutinizing the pricing at the Point very carefully during my upcoming trip.

Not that that's not a part of my usual park conduct! :) Some people take pictures, others nose around into marketing strategy, landscaping, flow management, etc.

Ok. Im new to season passes. I bought a Maxx pass last Sunday. Is it automatcically upgraded to gold or do I have to do something in order to get that. Because from what I heard, ALL passes were upgraded to gold before that deadline but my pass is red. I dont get it.

Ok. Im new to season passes. I bought a Maxx pass last Sunday. Is it automatcically upgraded to gold or do I have to do something in order to get that. Because from what I heard, ALL passes were upgraded to gold before that deadline but my pass is red. I dont get it.

Any pass purchased before the deadline is upgraded to gold. You're fine.

It won't be confusing... If I'm a speedlane attendent (I'm not) I would let every season pass through that I see except the new (after the deadline) KI pass only.

Isn't the Gold (KI only) pass the only pass that loses perks after a deadline? Doesn't a Maxx Pass, purchased at any date, get the perks? So... I don't see how it will be confusing? -Hauntguy

^ That would be true. My fiance, last year, bought me a parking pass for my birthday... when I went to go process it they said I had to have a season pass in order for it to be valid and useable. So basically the pass was down the drain and we ended up getting a full refund on it. So there are some things that still go "questionable". -Hauntguy