Vortex

VortexPKIFreak

Okay. I am a huge Vortex fan and I keep hearing rumors that it is sinking and its getting taken down and all of that stuff. To make my concience clear, is this true? I'm sure it isn't but my concience keeps bothering me about it (stupid concience). Vortex is considered one of KI's Fearsome Fours and one of the main attractions. They even have The Vortex on the season pass.

I just need some facts although im sure this isnt true.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people commonly think of this due to the fact people keep thinking theres going to be a B&M huge 400 some odd feet in the air roller coaster that would knock Vortex out and no It's not going anywhere right now. Nobody can say it will be there but it is very unlikely it's going anywhere in the next 3-4 years.

The general public makes me laugh. How many times has this been asked?!?! LOL at those who think Vortex is sinking and that it's rough. If there is any 'roughness' it's the jerks around the turns after the first drop.

Okay. I am a huge Vortex fan and I keep hearing rumors that it is sinking and its getting taken down and all of that stuff. To make my concience clear, is this true? I'm sure it isn't but my concience keeps bothering me about it (stupid concience). Vortex is considered one of KI's Fearsome Fours and one of the main attractions. They even have The Vortex on the season pass.

I just need some facts although im sure this isnt true.

Wouldn't your conscience only bother you about this topic if YOU were the one responsible for it being removed? ;)

Actually, its rising. The footings of the track are due to come out of the ground within the next 1-2 years and start flying away.

I'm sure if you said this enough that people would start to believe you just like they believe The Vortex is sinking...

• 1 month later...

The Vortex IS my favorite coaster. I read the about the sinking rumor on Wikipedia, in which also mentioned that its not true. I did hear a rumor in 2005 that it was already gone, just because they plan on putting a new ride in its place. Luckily when I came out there in October it was still there. Unless they plan on building a new steel looper to replace it, They need to keep that thing going forever. To me its a staple to ride it, and i usually do it 3 or 4 times every trip. I never imagined they would even think about getting rid of The Vortex, but I thought the same with King Cobra, especially with the Cobra being history and the first of its kind. You can imagine my suprise when I show up in 2003 and see some stupid Delirium ride where it once stood!

Well that stupid delerium ride has more ridership today than King Cobra had in the end. There are a lot of people who delerium is their favorite ride. Same with Sling Shot. There are people who think Sling Shot is the greatest thing since sliced bread and ride it every time they come to the park. That ride generates its share of profit for the park. Just cause they're not coasters doesnt mean they're not great and popular rides.

I can't ride spinny rides. The delerium would make me vomit, I guarantee it. As for the slingshot I tried it once... not worth the $20 I paid to get on it. Going up is cool but after that, its lame.

Yeah there are cool rides that aren't coasters... Drop Zone, Tomb Raider, but Come on, Delirium is some stupid state fair ride.

Anyway why does KI need to tear rides down when they have so much Forrest and Corn Fields to expand in? Just make the park bigger! I was impressed they finally extended it to build Firehawk! Anyway regardless of how popular the stupid fair ride is, the Cobra was historic, and though I don't miss it much, if they can get rid of it, than all bets are off for the 'tex.

Delirium is amazing, and is WAY bigger than any "stupid fair ride." By the way the spin is very slow. I would not call it a "spinny ride." On a different note, Vortex is one of the great rides that defines Kings Island. Even if they replaced it with a B&M mega-looper, I would be upset to see it go. And they need to take the building off of Tomb Raider and give it a more intense ride program.

The Vortex IS my favorite coaster. I read the about the sinking rumor on Wikipedia, in which also mentioned that its not true. I did hear a rumor in 2005 that it was already gone, just because they plan on putting a new ride in its place. Luckily when I came out there in October it was still there. Unless they plan on building a new steel looper to replace it, They need to keep that thing going forever. To me its a staple to ride it, and i usually do it 3 or 4 times every trip. I never imagined they would even think about getting rid of The Vortex, but I thought the same with King Cobra, especially with the Cobra being history and the first of its kind. You can imagine my suprise when I show up in 2003 and see some stupid Delirium ride where it once stood!

Delirium is a great ride, and the first of its kind.

Well, let's see

1) Because sometimes a coaster's popularity is not enough to justify the cost of operating it.

2) Because maintenance parts for the coaster become so sparse due to companies going out of business and being in foreign countries that it's too hard to maintain the ride (King Cobra).

3) Because the coaster might be a maintenance nightmare (The Bat).

4) Because expanding the size of the park is not always a good thing.

5) Because it never should have been built in the first place (Son of Beast). *snicker*

Those are probably the major reasons.

Look I liked King Cobra as much as the next guy, probably more, in fact, King Cobra is my 3rd favorite steel coaster...but the ride did not carry a historic value. Nobody brags about having the first standup coaster in america. Just like nobody brags that Vortex was the first coaster with 6 inversions or was the tallest coaster in the world when it was built. King Cobra's ridership was going down, TOGO had been out of business for years, Parts were a pain in the ass, and the ride took forever to load. The park wanted to add something that would look new and thrilling in the Action Zone. That giant yellow blue and red pendulum fits into the Action Zone perfectly. You cannot deny that when delerium is operating people love to stand by and watch and listen to the riders screaming.

Now where does everyone expect this "expansion into the cornfields to take place"?? The park cant just add a section of the park. They cant just build paths out into the middle of nowhere. Otherwise we would end up like six flags america. A Mile walk that leads you to batwing in an empty field.

Also just food for thought, many of the parks unused acres are protected by the national park service or dept of agriculture or something where they cannot remove trees. Crazy yes but true. It would be like in roller coaster tycoon where you have to build a park, but cannot remove any trees.

And yes of course Vortex is sinking.

Post 600